James Morgan

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: James Morgan

Postby guest44 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:16 am

Falcon Fan I have a couple questions? So Chris Kingston made that hire solo? Who had to approve it? The board? The president? Was Chris given the same freedom with all of his other hires? The ones who got arrested, showed up in bar videos, or the ones who still don’t really seem qualified? Another question, do you know the specific date that BGSU paid Mike Jinks 200K last year? I’ve seen several BGSU coaches who seem afraid that the sport they coach might be cut, it seems relevant. Was it the last week in December? Also, does BG Athletics plan to further increase student fees to help fund poor BG athletics decision making going forward? It’s currently at 13.3 million a year they are charged. A 400k increase from the previous year.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:36 pm

That's a hell of an article there, Zete. Very telling. What could have been with better coaching.

I've said it before. If Babers stuck around for five or six years like Brandon or Clawson, he would be revered here. That 2015 class had two draft picks and the 2016 class was looking to be a good one - he poached some players to Syracuse including their top speedster receiver. But alas, that wasn't meant to be. He was 54 in 2015 and felt father time ticking so chose to take his shot at a major program rather than keep winning championships at a mid major.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:09 am

Flipper wrote:This sounds like a "I burned the steak, but look...here's some chicken" kind of an argument. Playing Doege over Morgan might have been the right call at the time...but that just points up how poorly Morgan was handled

Said that at the time. It was (beyond simply all the losing, often embarrassingly) one of the most telling signs that Jinks & crew were in wayyyy over their heads. Every year they were here it was bench the QB as the "solution" then ride with the new guy the rest of the season. End of season with a s**t record say, "well QB X learned after our having to bench him, we should be better next year." Then rinse & repeat.

That pathetic excuse for a coach inherited a guy in Knapke that had been pressed into starting as a true Sophomore. After going through camp as the backup. He comes in, plays ok (not great, not terrible). Leads the team to a bowl game victory (a rare thing at BG), and takes home game MVP honors. As a junior he takes the backup role back and watches Johnson lead the team to the MAC title. Then under Jinks as a Senior Knapke flat out cannot play? He looks brutally bad...so bad that they had to turn to the young wonderkid Morgan. Fine, Knapke wasn't playing well, Morgan was a big time recruite (by MAC standards), let's roll with the RS Freshman.

Next year, same thing. Big time recruit RS Freshman, got pushed into duty too early, but played "OK". Not good (not as good as Knapke as a Soph), but wasn't horrid...thought you could build around him. All of a sudden 3 games into the season he's playing like garbage so you turn to an assistant coach's younger brother? OK Clearly Morgan wasn't playing well enough to hold onto the job, Doege comes in and again (like every other QB change before) isn't great, but he's not terrible and the "new guy" always gives hope...let him learn until next season.

Following year, same thing. Doege can't play well enough for the team to win games. You don't have another young QB to turn things over to, so instead you finally realize the real problem and shitcan Jinks (rightfully so!).

Obviously it's not worth rehashing...the reality is BG cannot economically move on from an awful coaching choice much quicker than they did here. But looking back it has to piss off any fan that his hire wasted Knapke's senior year, which should have still been a very competitive team. Then it not only cost us competing with a young future NFL QB, but it cost us even getting to watch the final 2 seasons of that future NFL QB's collegiate career because Jinks instead gave the job to a coach's brother.

I hope like hell we got it right this time, but Mike Jinks was the worst thing to happen to BG athletics (at least the money sports) in my fandom life. Meanwhile there still seems to be a segment of fans heaping the blame on his predecessor, who no doubt had faults, but left him with a winning program stocked with a handful of future NFLers. Also worth noting that all of those lauded Jinks recruiting classes (supposedly SO much better than Dino's!) haven't exactly resulted in a Renaissance of BG football.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby BGSU33 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:59 am

hammb wrote:
Flipper wrote:This sounds like a "I burned the steak, but look...here's some chicken" kind of an argument. Playing Doege over Morgan might have been the right call at the time...but that just points up how poorly Morgan was handled

I hope like hell we got it right this time, but Mike Jinks was the worst thing to happen to BG athletics (at least the money sports) in my fandom life. Meanwhile there still seems to be a segment of fans heaping the blame on his predecessor, who no doubt had faults, but left him with a winning program stocked with a handful of future NFLers. Also worth noting that all of those lauded Jinks recruiting classes (supposedly SO much better than Dino's!) haven't exactly resulted in a Renaissance of BG football.

The Jinks hire and riding out Orr's contract were two crushing blows to BG football and basketball, respectively. It crippled both programs in various ways while plummeting them both to the basement of the MAC in the process. Fortunately, in time, men's basketball was eventually able to recover. Hopefully the same can be said for football, but it hasn't shown signs yet in the past four years. As for Jinks' recruiting classes at BG - and I used to scream this from the top of my lungs whenever he boasted about them at the end of his tenure because it was all he could hang his hat on at that point - there is a MAJOR different between "RECRUITING" and "RETAINING" players! Sure, on paper he signed what was and appeared to be a few very good classes. The problem was, hardly any of them stuck around or made it. If Jinks had gone out and signed the #1 recruiting classes in America (the kind of classes you see Ohio State, Clemson and Alabama bring in) for three consecutive seasons, but the players either quit, transfer or get dismissed like the ones he signed at BG, then your classes are shot and aren't anything like what they were on paper when you signed them. It would literally drive me crazy reading articles about how good of a recruiter Jinks was - yet - made no mention whatsoever about how he couldn't retain them. The retaining part of recruiting is just as important as the signing portion is. That is how you are rewarded with good recruiting classes: when they sign, come in, and contribute over several years. Not when you sign them but only have fragments of them left in a few years. It's like buying a winning lottery ticket and then never cashing it in. It's not quite the same in the end, is it.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby falconfan1 » Fri May 01, 2020 8:30 pm

guest, Chris Kingston hired Mike Jinks. Himself. The other person involved in approving the hire was our President at the time. That's how it was done at the time. You will recall that was fairly quick search and certainly an out the box move. The AD hires coaches. Some ADs use different people's input or run searches in different ways. Obviously, with a key hire like that one, the President is involved.
All the other questions about payments etc, I have no idea. I don't know and don't concern myself with it. It is not a key matter in regard to current budgets. It's done.
Student fees have been part of BG Athletics for many years and exist at every league school with some much higher than BG. I have no idea what our fee structure will be down the road. That is likely the last thing University leadership is checking today. They are busying readying the University for student return and other contingencies. Our President and senior leadership including Athletics are working night and day on these matters. We are in tremendous hands with this team. That is my opinion.
BGSU is well positioned as a clear value school with top returns among our peer institutions. While we were just readying to take another leap up, this COVID19 will cause a pause and a reset in several ways. You have read the President's remarks etc. I believe we will emerge down the road stronger and better. Athletics, like other areas of our University (and every other school), must work through this period.
BGSU has survived the Spanish Flu, the Great Depression, two World Wars and several serious recessions. And look where we were as an institution January 1. Steadily rising. We will be stronger down the road.

Go Falcons!
falconfan1
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Sat May 02, 2020 6:55 am

Wow. So BGSU allowed just two people to have a voice on the hire of the highest paid individual at the University. That seems less than ideal. Especially considering neither were BGSU alums or could have found the town on a map prior to being hired by BGSU. Do you think this attributed to amount of hires who were either unqualified or embarrassed themselves within the community? As for the funding of athletics through student fees. Ya, the industry might do it, but that doesn’t make it right. Charging students, most of whom have no idea how much goes to athletics, to pad the pockets of administrators is beyond ridiculous. Like most of the NCAA, the hypocrisy in that is off the charts. Thankfully, times are changing and the athletes will begin to become the focus financially and not the administrators.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TommyG » Sat May 02, 2020 2:54 pm

MAC football may have a chance at some upsets this year...MAC teams are used to playing in front of empty stadiums, bigger programs may struggle to adjust. Could see some big road victories for the conference....
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby irs » Sat May 02, 2020 9:27 pm

Will we even have college football - who will attend? Not anyone over 60.
BGSU 80 Graduates living in Novi, MI
irs
Egg
Egg

Postby BGSU33 » Mon May 04, 2020 12:34 am

TommyG wrote:MAC football may have a chance at some upsets this year...MAC teams are used to playing in front of empty stadiums, bigger programs may struggle to adjust. Could see some big road victories for the conference....

LOL, so now even the national contenders will know what it's like to play on a Tuesday night!
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Tue May 05, 2020 9:17 pm

DeWine is suggesting a $110 million cut from the funding for colleges and universities,,.
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby It's the Journey... » Wed May 06, 2020 11:02 am

Flipper wrote:DeWine is suggesting a $110 million cut from the funding for colleges and universities,,.

That is part of the cuts that are being made from THIS fiscal year. So it's basically 55 million cut in May and 55 million cut in June.

There will be more coming from the fiscal year that starts on 7/1/2020!

It is now way past time to have an honest conversation about staying in FBS or moving down to FCS. It could be what saves the department.
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Wed May 06, 2020 1:31 pm

It has been time to have that conversation. But, Moose while still paying Mike Jinks, negotiated against himself to give Huger and all of his staff a huge raise. He was probably banking on another 500K increase in student fees in 2021.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Previous

Return to Football