James Morgan

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: James Morgan

Postby Flipper » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:16 pm

4th rd pick to the Jets.....
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby MarkL » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:34 pm

Congratulations James Morgan!

Had a thought. The 2015 recruiting class included both Scotty Miller and James Morgan. Two NFL draft picks in one recruiting class. Is that the only occurance in BG football history?
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:38 pm

But I thought Babers ruined BG Football? Mike Jinks was just the worst hire in BGSU history. Then he and his high school staff, benched Morgan.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby fredthefalcon » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:51 pm

guest44 wrote:But I thought Babers ruined BG Football? Mike Jinks was just the worst hire in BGSU history. Then he and his high school staff, benched Morgan.

It helped the situation develop when one of his "high school staff" also had a brother on the team who was a QB
fredthefalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:57 pm

Of course it did. BGSU got completely fleeced by Jinks, both Doege brothers. then again by a Doege late last year. The bigger problem was it took 2.5 years to figure it out. Meanwhile, the guy who hired him figured it out 4 months later and left. The hire was so bad it caused Chris Kingston to stop tweeting.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:11 pm

Random question as BG faces huge budget cuts. Is Jinks off the books? Anyone aware?
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby threestooges » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:08 pm

Found this in the Sentinel-Tribune article when Jinks got hired at USC...

"After a public record request through the university it was found that Jinks and Bowling Green came to an agreement on a buyout shortly after he was fired. The buyout, which went into effect Dec. 5, was for $375,000. Jinks’ contract with Bowling Green stated that he was originally due the remainder of his salary through his contract since he was fired without cause. His contract was set to expire after the 2020 season. He was due nearly $1 million for the final two-plus seasons remaining on his contract.

"Prior to the buyout, Jinks’ payment from Bowling Green would have been lowered had he found employment. Bowling Green still would have owed the difference of his salary at BG and the salary at his new place of employment.

"The contract of the buyout states that 'Payment shall be made in two separate amounts with the initial payment of $175,000 to be paid within 10 days following Jinks’ execution and non-revocation of this Agreement and not later than December 31, 2018 and the second and final payment of $200,000 to be paid by January 31, 2019.'"
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:26 pm

fredthefalcon wrote:
guest44 wrote:But I thought Babers ruined BG Football? Mike Jinks was just the worst hire in BGSU history. Then he and his high school staff, benched Morgan.

It helped the situation develop when one of his "high school staff" also had a brother on the team who was a QB

I don't think that was it. Morgan was not playing all that well here in 2017. Most games he was under 50% completion.

Then in 2018 at FIU he led the conference in passer rating. It is coaching. He may well have dominated under Babers. He played great at FIU. But under our coaches in his years here, it just didn't work. Lots didn't work those years.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:42 pm

threestooges wrote:Found this in the Sentinel-Tribune article when Jinks got hired at USC...

"After a public record request through the university it was found that Jinks and Bowling Green came to an agreement on a buyout shortly after he was fired. The buyout, which went into effect Dec. 5, was for $375,000. Jinks’ contract with Bowling Green stated that he was originally due the remainder of his salary through his contract since he was fired without cause. His contract was set to expire after the 2020 season. He was due nearly $1 million for the final two-plus seasons remaining on his contract.

"Prior to the buyout, Jinks’ payment from Bowling Green would have been lowered had he found employment. Bowling Green still would have owed the difference of his salary at BG and the salary at his new place of employment.

"The contract of the buyout states that 'Payment shall be made in two separate amounts with the initial payment of $175,000 to be paid within 10 days following Jinks’ execution and non-revocation of this Agreement and not later than December 31, 2018 and the second and final payment of $200,000 to be paid by January 31, 2019.'"

Thanks for the info. Atleast it is in the rear view mirror. But, when Bob & company play the poor us card, remember that 200K.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Class of 61 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:51 am

guest44 wrote:Random question as BG faces huge budget cuts. Is Jinks off the books? Anyone aware?

Where did you hear about budget cuts? Wouldn’t be surprised but I’d not heard anything other than Akron cutting 20% across whole Univ. including eliminating some colleges/ programs completely. In meantime I see BG promoting women’s hockey.
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:40 am

Sentinel & BG Independent media have had multiple articles on the subject. I believe the number is 12.5% in athletics. I’d guess it gets worse if no students on campus in the Fall. Decline in enrollment reduces the student fees which funds half of the department.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:07 am

Class of 61 wrote:
guest44 wrote:Random question as BG faces huge budget cuts. Is Jinks off the books? Anyone aware?

Where did you hear about budget cuts? Wouldn’t be surprised but I’d not heard anything other than Akron cutting 20% across whole Univ. including eliminating some colleges/ programs completely. In meantime I see BG promoting women’s hockey.

Overall, the cost of this shutdown is approaching $30 million (last number I saw was $27 million, but I expect that to increase) at BG. Room and board refunds, parking refunds, future state funding cuts, as well as decreased enrollment for the fall. They are already implementing staff cuts.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:54 am

The pandemic is going to have long term implications for a lot of industries in ways that people are only beginning to grasp. E.g.... Telemedicine is going to take a huge leap forward...distance learning will force Universities to look at their physical plants. I think many of these changes were inevitable, but the pandemic is definitely...inmho..accelerating the pace of change and people Who weren't prepared for it will be playing catch up
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby mbenecke » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:19 pm

We (students) received an email from the school that said we’re seeing a 20% cut in state funding.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:30 pm

Here is another crazy concept. When Michael Huger wanted a raise and an extension last Spring, maybe BG should have realized that there was no market for him elsewhere, and waited to give him a raise & extension. That might have helped offset some of Jinks money. It's not like schools would have come calling this off season either.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

PreviousNext

Return to Football