Ohio

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: Ohio

Postby Tony4BG » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:51 am

guest44 wrote:Does any know the real story behind the McDonald waiver? With basically every player in the country getting immediate eligibility, did BGSU screw that up to?

I don't know real reason his waiver was denied but he wasn't only QB denied after NCAA changed some rules.

I really would like to know why so many thought he would get it approved??
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby MarkL » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:11 am

I'm going to assume the team finishes 3-9 with another 3+ possession loss.

3 wins. All holding opponents to 7 or fewer. Two probably should have been shutouts. 9 losses, closest of which was 3 possessions against CMU.

The team is all over the place, which is not exactly unexpected given what Loeffler inherited. I would like to see better effort late in the season, especially at the last home game for a lot of players. I'm not sure what to take from a bunch of seniors playing a lackadaisical effort in their final home game. Although if I were recruited to be an essential member of a team that had just won three division titles and two conference titles just to end up on a team that never once saw more than 4 wins a season, I would be frustrated.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:29 am

Go back and read the Toledo Blade article regarding the most recent coaching search, the one with details. Find the Kingston hire with connections to Boston College. Kingston’s hand picked hire to BGSU. i can’t imagine BG couldn’t have had McElwain if they wanted him.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:45 am

Tony4BG wrote:
guest44 wrote:Correct. Kingston ruined the program and Kingston’s crew is still around. His football hires were terrible, several others were too. Thus, why some are still here. Loeffler has done a good job of talking about Detroit and championships down the road, the clock starts ticking in December.

Curious, who are Kingston leftovers?

Kit Hughes is one.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:50 am

MarkL wrote:I'm going to assume the team finishes 3-9 with another 3+ possession loss.

3 wins. All holding opponents to 7 or fewer. Two probably should have been shutouts. 9 losses, closest of which was 3 possessions against CMU.

The team is all over the place, which is not exactly unexpected given what Loeffler inherited. I would like to see better effort late in the season, especially at the last home game for a lot of players. I'm not sure what to take from a bunch of seniors playing a lackadaisical effort in their final home game. Although if I were recruited to be an essential member of a team that had just won three division titles and two conference titles just to end up on a team that never once saw more than 4 wins a season, I would be frustrated.

If you've ever worked at a company with a terrible culture, you'll know it takes years to fix it. That's where BG is at right now. The guys who are pushing for change eventually get tuned out and you're better off talking to the wall. Loeffler needs to get his kids in, and hope like hell the Jinks recruits don't sour them on anything. It's a dangerous time for this program right now and the players who are causing the problems are shown the door as quickly as possible, even if it means another year of lopsided losses.
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:50 am

Let's not give up on Loeffler after 11 games... we knew this year wasn't going to be pretty.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:51 am

mbenecke wrote:Let's not give up on Loeffler after 11 games... we knew this year wasn't going to be pretty.

Anyone giving up on Loeffler doesn't know anything about sports.
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:56 am

If you are suggesting the fact that Kit Hughes was on a Boston College staff over a decade ago had anything to do with Moose hiring Loeffler, I can tell you that is false. 100% false.

Also if you think McElwain would have BG at 6+ wins right now, that is also false. McElwain inherited a far better situation than Loeffler. CMU went 1-11 in 2018 largely because they had no senior class. Their previous coach transition in early 2015 happened during recruiting. They had no head coach during national signing day in 2015. The previous head coach was gone and all the assistants were looking for new jobs and recruited on the side.
It was a pretty pitiful 2015 freshman class that didn't even know who they would be playing for and many dropped. However 2016, 2017, and 2018 recruiting classes were all good and the team had an established winning culture after bowl games in 2015, 2016, and 2017 (and the former coaching staff had bowls in 2012 and 2014).
McElwain inherited a well-coached team that knew how to win but was missing leadership. Loeffler inherited a team that per player quotes did not have to work hard under the previous coaching staff.
MarkL has spoken.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:01 am

So does Kit Hughes have any responsibility for where BGSU football is at today? Central Michigan had no quarterback, and was one of the worst teams in D1 last year. You act like Kit Hughes wasn’t here when the disaster started.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:10 am

mbenecke wrote:We'll get there.

I have no doubt of this.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby MarkL » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:11 am

guest44 wrote:Central Michigan had no quarterback, and was one of the worst teams in D1 last year.

Last year. One poor year.
BG was one of the nation's worst teams for three straight years. Three. Three miserable awful years to utterly dismantle and destroy any hopes of a winning culture.

And no I'm not blaming this on Kit Hughes. That doesn't make any real sense. If you've met him, he is a good guy with a good head on his shoulders who has BG's best interests at heart. Why would you blame the administration who fired the previous coach?

There are two people to blame for where we are. Mike Jinks and Chris Kingston. Jinks, for tanking the program and accepting a job he was not ready to take. And Kingston, for rushing a coaching hire on his way out the door and trying to find a diamond in the rough. Jinks was a Kingston hire. He went out bragging about the hiring process, remember?
MarkL has spoken.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:15 am

I’ve met him. I couldn’t think any more different than you of him. If the BGSU defense stinks, the DC gets fired, so to does his staff. Kingston was a disaster. People within the department seek out chances to tell people on the outside all about that. My point is if you want to change a culture, you REALLY change a culture. Not this keep applying, someday you will get a better opportunity.

Bowling Green was going to keep Pelini hanging around. Ridiculous.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:15 am

zete wrote:I don't think I have ever seen a more uninspired defensive effort from a BG football team as I witnessed last night.

I was thinking the same thing. I’ve seen us get sliced up many times before, but can’t recall seeing such a lack of effort as this. And let’s not forget, Ohio could have scored 80-90 points if they really wanted to. Thankfully they showed some mercy with 66 points in the third quarter and decided to help us end our misery. I would rather see us play reserve guys who actually want and will try than guys who are starters and won’t. If that means we give up 80 next week to Buffalo, so be it. We’re going to lose anyway, I’d rather at least see us go down with guys who are actually trying. I know we lack depth everywhere, but if we’re starting and playing some guys who won’t play with effort, then let someone who will. I mentioned earlier in this thread a particular play that happened last night that I don’t think I ever saw happen before, and I still don’t understand the logic. If he would have ran over and patted the guy on his back as he took it to the house it would have been more effort than running over to him, slowing up and watching him run right beside you, then chase him to the endzone. He literally didn’t lay a finger on him, he actually slowed up and let him go untouched past him. It was one play that wouldn’t have changed the outcome of the game, but it’s those kind of plays that will continue to keep us buried at the bottom of FBS football and essentially summed up what we look like as a program right now. We simply go through the motions and don’t put in the work or effort, and the end result is our record and scores. When we lose, we don’t just get beat, we get destroyed. And when you see this kind of lack of effort, everyone can see why no matter what kind of picture our coach tries to paint. And yes, while the Kingston decision has led us down this road to this mess, it can’t absorb all the blame for what we still see on the field right now.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:27 am

MarkL wrote:
guest44 wrote:Central Michigan had no quarterback, and was one of the worst teams in D1 last year.

BG was one of the nation's worst teams for three straight years. Three. Three miserable awful years to utterly dismantle and destroy any hopes of a winning culture.

And no I'm not blaming this on Kit Hughes. That doesn't make any real sense. If you've met him, he is a good guy with a good head on his shoulders who has BG's best interests at heart. Why would you blame the administration who fired the previous coach?

There are two people to blame for where we are. Mike Jinks and Chris Kingston. Jinks, for tanking the program and accepting a job he was not ready to take. And Kingston, for rushing a coaching hire on his way out the door and trying to find a diamond in the rough. Jinks was a Kingston hire. He went out bragging about the hiring process, remember?

I don't fault Jinks as much as Kingston. Any person with dreams of being a D1 college football coach would have jumped at the opportunity. It's the AD's job to interview and hire qualified candidates, which Jinks wasn't. That's on Kingston, plain and simple. It's unreasonable to think Jinks is going to admit he's in over his head and voluntarily resign. I don't know what Kit Hughes does within the administration to comment on his involvement with any hiring decisions. All I know is BG used an external search firm to find candidates for the football vacancy which is what any athletic department would have done.
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:00 am

jpfalcon09 wrote:
MarkL wrote:

I don't fault Jinks as much as Kingston. Any person with dreams of being a D1 college football coach would have jumped at the opportunity. It's the AD's job to interview and hire qualified candidates, which Jinks wasn't. That's on Kingston, plain and simple. It's unreasonable to think Jinks is going to admit he's in over his head and voluntarily resign. I don't know what Kit Hughes does within the administration to comment on his involvement with any hiring decisions. All I know is BG used an external search firm to find candidates for the football vacancy which is what any athletic department would have done.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the people critical of Kit Hughes think he does. He's the business guy who helps handle external contracts for ticketing/media/etc., and I think he's involved with scheduling? He might be involved in some hiring processes, but I would guess that it's strictly in a financial sense (what can BG afford, what are the buyout details, etc). I've worked in college athletic departments at schools bigger and smaller than BG, and I can tell you the blame all lies with Kingston. Moose is approaching things the right way, now, and we need to be patient with Loeffler. He inherited the biggest dumpster fire in the country, aside from maybe UMass or Akron. Watch his post-game presser and you can see how he has a very clear vision for how this is going to go, and I believe he will get us there if he's given the opportunity.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

PreviousNext

Return to Football