Ohio

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: Ohio

Postby mbenecke » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:39 pm

jpfalcon09 wrote:
Class of 61 wrote:Not surprised, but didn’t Babers “take” a couple of what would have been our top recruits with him to Syracuse? This left us a bit on short side in numbers too. But Jinks was obviously over his head and I recall being chastised by someone when I alluded to his inexperienced staff, not to mention minimal Ohio and/or Midwest connections.
Wonder how he personally is doing at USC, since that program is struggling now.

My guess is he'll be looking for a new job after the season once Clay Helton is fired.

It's likely that Helton is fired, but I wouldn't think it is certain yet. USC can make the PAC 12 title game if it wins on Saturday and Utah loses either of their next 2 games. They're 7-4 and the #23 team the country, according to the CFP committee.

Imagine them winning this Saturday and sneaking into the title game, then upsetting Oregon. Then they're in the Rose Bowl. I don't think Helton can be fired after a year like that...
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:40 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
drumstix2388 wrote:Watch his post-game presser and you can see how he has a very clear vision for how this is going to go, and I believe he will get us there if he's given the opportunity.

That's what I see when I see him speak: Vision. He seems to have thought about every aspect of this football program quite deeply. Remember when he was quoting a geographical analysis of where our players came from when we were winning MAC titles? That struck me as next level.

I think he'll get us there. He seems driven in a way that reminds me of Urban Meyer.

I finally looked at the postgame availability. Loeffler was furious after the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrdjqcds0Gw

I wonder what he means with this allusion to all the stuff the media does not see.

I'm almost afraid to speculate.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby Flipper » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:40 pm

You generally run across two different styles of hiring...people who hire resumes and people who hire people. If you hire based on a resume, you're married to a certain set of qualifications and you tend to overlook personal attributes (I don't like this style). When you're hiring people you still have a basic set of qualifications you're looking for, but you put more emphasis on the personal qualities of the individual in front of you.

Kingston did neither of these..he locked on Jinks before he met him so there's no way he had a chance to know him as a personbefore hiriinghim and he sure as hell didn't look at his resume. It was an almost nonsensical hire
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby BGSU33 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:22 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
Schadenfreude wrote:
drumstix2388 wrote:Watch his post-game presser and you can see how he has a very clear vision for how this is going to go, and I believe he will get us there if he's given the opportunity.

That's what I see when I see him speak: Vision. He seems to have thought about every aspect of this football program quite deeply. Remember when he was quoting a geographical analysis of where our players came from when we were winning MAC titles? That struck me as next level.

I think he'll get us there. He seems driven in a way that reminds me of Urban Meyer.

I finally looked at the postgame availability. Loeffler was furious after the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrdjqcds0Gw

I wonder what he means with this allusion to all the stuff the media does not see.

I'm almost afraid to speculate.

I wish someone in that room would have asked him to elaborate on what exactly he meant by that. He said it several times and no one spoke up and asked what he was referring to. I was literally yelling out loud as I watched it "would someone please ask him what he's referring to!" It could be a number of things, but since no one asked, I guess we'll never really know.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:54 am

I think he is alluding to off the field work ethic, how bad it was when he got here, how much better it is now, and how much better it still has to get. You don't directly see work ethic on the field. You don't see how hard they work out in the weight room or how attentive they are in film study. I don't think it is anything either exciting or scary. It's just off the field work that you are not privy to if all you see is three hours of play on Saturday (or midweek now). I think it is his last sentence about working hard and not coddling.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:20 am

When I was at a Jinks practice during recruiting, it was literally like a bad HS practice. Groups standing around doing nothing while some of the team was practicing. Bs’ing, dancing, playing catch, kids half dressed for practice, rolling in late, while partial practice going on elsewhere. OSU, Toledo, MSU: EVERY! single! moment! was intense, for everyone! Not one moment for a kid to not pay attention, or he is dead!! We were afraid to step away to the wrong spot on the sideline at those practices! It takes a while to change that, and many many of the existing kids are incapable of maintaining that focus and intensity. Single parent homes, no discipline, no rules, no respect. So much to overcome. They are not wired to be champions-a real D1 player wakes up every day dialed in to compete. I’m guessing we have 50% of roster dialed in. I still get a new story every week of some kid mouthing off to a staff lady, underage drinking, late to practice, failing classes, cant remember base plays from spring..... mind boggling.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:53 am

roguewarrior wrote:When I was at a Jinks practice during recruiting, it was literally like a bad HS practice. Groups standing around doing nothing while some of the team was practicing. Bs’ing, dancing, playing catch, kids half dressed for practice, rolling in late, while partial practice going on elsewhere. OSU, Toledo, MSU: EVERY! single! moment! was intense, for everyone! Not one moment for a kid to not pay attention, or he is dead!! We were afraid to step away to the wrong spot on the sideline at those practices! It takes a while to change that, and many many of the existing kids are incapable of maintaining that focus and intensity. Single parent homes, no discipline, no rules, no respect. So much to overcome. They are not wired to be champions-a real D1 player wakes up every day dialed in to compete. I’m guessing we have 50% of roster dialed in. I still get a new story every week of some kid mouthing off to a staff lady, underage drinking, late to practice, failing classes, cant remember base plays from spring..... mind boggling.

Add Toledo Whitmer to this list. One of my high school buddies (we're all Whitmer grads) has been coaching there pretty much since we all graduated from college; this is how he describes daily practice. Every minute is scripted for every kid and not a second is wasted.

This seems like basic stuff, no? I mean I'm a hockey guy and I get it...
2-time BGSU Intramural Curling Champion.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:27 pm

We scripted our youth practices. A BG practice is now like OSU and others, broken into 30 or more evolutions. I’m sure Jinks were scripted, just SO lacking intensity, attention to detail and accountability..... I imagine coach(s) is wasting time screaming at knuckleheads to fall in, rather than focusing on technique, etc.... as they would like. Sometime soon, the players will lead from the front and the operation will be well oiled, where coaches are fine tuning. Patience is required, at least from the wins and losses for us fans.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby zete » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:46 pm

Well, if this staff can recruit solid OL and DL players that are willing to play hard and couple that with other strong newcomers we should be ok in a few years. It seems Scot and staff are excited and committed about the challenge.
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:48 pm

roguewarrior wrote:Sometime soon, the players will lead from the front and the operation will be well oiled, where coaches are fine tuning.

This. Clawson said that was the big difference between 2010 and 2011, when the turnaround started. Having players reinforce good habits within each other builds character and allows the coaches to focus on the bigger picture.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:12 pm

Incoming class, assuming it holds, has a lot of captains of their respective high schools teams on it. I believe the ship gets righted within a few years as the culture is cultivated with players that Loeffler and his staff know will buy in.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Class of 61 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:21 pm

Dave Clawson was big on recruiting kids who’d been captains or showing leadership in other ways. Hard to argue against that philosophy. And his results show it wherever he’s gone. Got WF into top 25 even on temporary basis, ( thanks to Clemson) :(
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Previous

Return to Football