Classless tsun...

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: Classless tsun...

Postby zete » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:13 pm

MarkL wrote:IMO the NCAA dropped the ball on two major issues: coach pay and conference realignment. When the first coach was signed to a million dollar annual salary, and when Nebraska first announced a move to the Big Ten, the NCAA failed to step in and exert some leadership. Such as, a rule that no coach can be paid more than some amount relative to the university president or average faculty salary, and all conference changes must be approved of by NCAA.

YES! Keeping coaches' salaries under 1m could possibly keep them at one institution and continue building there. The MAC and other conferences suffer often due to coaching changes for not much more that money itself.

Say, I am a roofer and make 25per in BG. If offered 300per to roof houses in another state, No Brainer, I would probably go, dragging my family with me, leaving their friends, changing schools, etc....If offered the same 25 per in another state -- No Brainer I would probably stay.

You are right: lack of judgement and leadership, things have gotten to the point of ludicrous.
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:42 pm

To be clear I'm not suggesting a hard limit for coach salary across the board but rather something relative to academic spending, such as average faculty salary. Let's say average full time faculty salary is 90k (sans grant money). We'll say the limit is 8x average faculty salary, so BG's max salary for any given coach is $720k, which BG has no business paying any coach. Down US 23, let's say OSU average faculty salary is $110k. Ryan Day's max salary would be $880k, which of course is far below what he's making. This would reinforce that the athletic department does not run the university. Ryan Day is doubtlessly the most visibly recognized staffer at OSU which justifies a higher salary, but not 40x or more the average faculty salary if you ask me.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby zete » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:56 pm

MarkL wrote:To be clear I'm not suggesting a hard limit for coach salary across the board but rather something relative to academic spending, such as average faculty salary. Let's say average full time faculty salary is 90k (sans grant money). We'll say the limit is 8x average faculty salary, so BG's max salary for any given coach is $720k, which BG has no business paying any coach. Down US 23, let's say OSU average faculty salary is $110k. Ryan Day's max salary would be $880k, which of course is far below what he's making. This would reinforce that the athletic department does not run the university. Ryan Day is doubtlessly the most visibly recognized staffer at OSU which justifies a higher salary, but not 40x or more the average faculty salary if you ask me.

Right on! and surprised this is not the case
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:10 pm

Why should Day's salary or any other coach's salary be tied to a completely unrelated number like professor's salaries...or anyone's moral outrage over what is too much? The upper echelon of the P5 is a business first...second and last. Day makes a lot of money because the team he has coached this year generates a ridiculous amount o f money for the University. Jim Harbaugh makes $7 mil or so a year at Michigan and they are happy to pay it because the man has been cash cow for them.

So far as UT goes...the issue for UT isn't that they're paying Candle too much...the issue is that they're paying him at all. That guy is not a good coach. Players don't get it in their heads to dive headfirst into the back of the helmet of a guy who's kneeling...that's a the kind of thing an out of control psychopath would do (he could have paralyzed or killed that kid...so no..I'm not being overly dramatic). A good coach doesn't put a time bomb like that on the field
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby zete » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:39 pm

There are a lot of 'time bombs" playing football at all levels. Not sure all of them are the product of poor coaching.
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:27 pm

Things in Rocketland are pretty grim after their loss to Buffalo last night. Fans calling for Candle to be fired, which there's no way the university coughs up that much money to get rid of him. Things are bad at BG, but at least we knew the expectations going into this season.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby zete » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:43 pm

jpfalcon09 wrote:Things in Rocketland are pretty grim after their loss to Buffalo last night. Fans calling for Candle to be fired, which there's no way the university coughs up that much money to get rid of him. Things are bad at BG, but at least we knew the expectations going into this season.

Can not totally understand what is going on there. They started off with a lot of promise. Injuries?
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:47 pm

zete wrote:
jpfalcon09 wrote:Things in Rocketland are pretty grim after their loss to Buffalo last night. Fans calling for Candle to be fired, which there's no way the university coughs up that much money to get rid of him. Things are bad at BG, but at least we knew the expectations going into this season.

Can not totally understand what is going on there. They started off with a lot of promise. Injuries?

Losing Guadagni hurt, but their issue is on defense. Worst in FBS in first down defensive efficiency. Hard to keep teams from scoring when you're allowing yardage on first down plays.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:40 am

Flipper wrote:Why should Day's salary or any other coach's salary be tied to a completely unrelated number like professor's salaries...or anyone's moral outrage over what is too much? The upper echelon of the P5 is a business first...second and last. Day makes a lot of money because the team he has coached this year generates a ridiculous amount o f money for the University. Jim Harbaugh makes $7 mil or so a year at Michigan and they are happy to pay it because the man has been cash cow for them.

So far as UT goes...the issue for UT isn't that they're paying Candle too much...the issue is that they're paying him at all. That guy is not a good coach. Players don't get it in their heads to dive headfirst into the back of the helmet of a guy who's kneeling...that's a the kind of thing an out of control psychopath would do (he could have paralyzed or killed that kid...so no..I'm not being overly dramatic). A good coach doesn't put a time bomb like that on the field

This. Let the market decide what is to be paid and to whom. And as far as the NCAA goes...Good Lord but I'd never want them to have the kind of power some on here suggest. Talk about a frightening scenario...
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Previous

Return to Football