The stadium has never looked better

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: The stadium has never looked better

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:03 pm

MarkL wrote:The chairs looked awesome when they were first installed. I seem to remember it only took a year or two for the awesome orange chairs to transition to unsightly pink chairs.

That's the shame of it. If memory serves the orange plastic bench seating we had was replaced with bare metal alumnium for much the same reason. (The plastic was a bit less chilly on behinds during weeknight #MACtion weather, but here we are. At least those parts of the stadium are no longer pink.)

I'd love to see the entire stadium rendered in plastic chairbacks, but that obviously wouldn't be cheap. Also, as drumstix notes, it would reduce capacity and we would probably want to add some to replace it.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller

Postby Flipper » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:57 pm

Yeah...God forbid we reduce capacity. We turn so many people away...we'd likely cause a riot if we did that
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby drumstix2388 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:19 pm

Flipper wrote:Yeah...God forbid we reduce capacity. We turn so many people away...we'd likely cause a riot if we did that

I don't think either of us were arguing that it would be an awful thing for capacity to be reduced, but we would need to have the ability to do a small expansion for games that called for it (Toledo, P5 schools at home) if we were taking the stadium itself down to, say, 20,000.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FalconTurf » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:42 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:
Flipper wrote:Yeah...God forbid we reduce capacity. We turn so many people away...we'd likely cause a riot if we did that

I don't think either of us were arguing that it would be an awful thing for capacity to be reduced, but we would need to have the ability to do a small expansion for games that called for it (Toledo, P5 schools at home) if we were taking the stadium itself down to, say, 20,000.

Love the idea. And if it becomes an issue the south endzone is available for rental bleachers if ever needed.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:31 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:

I don't think either of us were arguing that it would be an awful thing for capacity to be reduced,

I would not reduce capacity. When Loeffler gets this program rolling again, we will need the seats.
Schadenfreude

Postby drumstix2388 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:47 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
drumstix2388 wrote:

I don't think either of us were arguing that it would be an awful thing for capacity to be reduced,

I would not reduce capacity. When Loeffler gets this program rolling again, we will need the seats.

Unfortunately, this isn't correct. Even the best years under Clawson/Babers were averaging about 16k. The average has only been over 19k twice since 2003 and I'd say those averages were probably exaggerated. Aside from a game or two a year, 19-20k chairback seats will be much better than 24k bleacher seats. It's the trend across college football. Attendance figures are going down.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:00 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:Aside from a game or two a year, 19-20k chairback seats will be much better than 24k bleacher seats. It's the trend across college football. Attendance figures are going down.

I'd keep capacity at 24,000 or so for that game or two a year. In 2015, our last decent season, we had 21,178 for Memphis, 20,021 for Akron, and 23,492 for Toledo.

Shrinking capacity further would also make it tougher to schedule home games with programs like Maryland, Indiana, or Iowa State. Last season's Maryland game was played in abysmal weather in a season many suspected would be bad for us, but we had 23,717 for Indiana in 2014 and 23,184 for Minnesota in 2008.
Schadenfreude

Postby Flipper » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:00 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
drumstix2388 wrote:

OK, Linus...let me know when the great pumpkin shows up
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby MarkL » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:17 pm

An entire stadium in plastic orange chair seating. Just think, in a year or two we would have an entirely pink stadium. :vom:
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mcfalcons83 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:20 pm

All chair seats would put us ahead of all other MAC schools and really enhance game day experience. If we need more seats for big games put around 1500 bleacher seats in end zone. These seats could be permanent 5 dollar seats.
mcfalcons83
Egg
Egg

Previous

Return to Football