The Athletic: Jinks interview

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: The Athletic: Jinks interview

Postby Flipper » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:52 pm

The Dino ruined the program meme is such bullshit. He was here for two seasons and had one actual recruiting class before leaving. He brought talent here that stuck. He's bringing talent to Syracuse and they're seeing results. The team played hard for him and he got results on the field. Jinks came in and the program fell apart. The current staff is having to work on the absolute basics like getting in shape physically and lining up properly.

Lining up properly.....

But yeah...how a guy sits in his nonleather chair...that's way more important than how you line up.
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby FalconTurf » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:09 pm

I don’t like to see coaches treated poorly or enjoy seeing one fired. That said, Jinks had the program going rapidly the wrong direction making the timing of his firing the only debate - soon or sooner.

Time to move on and start the next build.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:16 am

Antimob wrote:a complete lack of discipline from a coach who considered sitting up straight in a chair to be a bad thing.

What a strange thing to say.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby kdog27 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:29 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
Antimob wrote:a complete lack of discipline from a coach who considered sitting up straight in a chair to be a bad thing.

Axe to grind. Been doing it since his first post here.
kdog27
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Antimob » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:33 pm

Flipper wrote:The Dino ruined the program meme is such bullshit. He was here for two seasons and had one actual recruiting class before leaving. He brought talent here that stuck. He's bringing talent to Syracuse and they're seeing results. The team played hard for him and he got results on the field. Jinks came in and the program fell apart. The current staff is having to work on the absolute basics like getting in shape physically and lining up properly.

Lining up properly.....

But yeah...how a guy sits in his nonleather chair...that's way more important than how you line up.

Again with the chairs. So it's not only OK we don't have nice things, we can also feel free to slouch in them. Got it, just as long as we get lined up right. Kind of like the 2016 opening game against Western Kentucky where we gave up 59 points and lost by 27. No, it must be the MAC championship game against Northern Illinois that we lost 51-17. No again. Did you mean the MAC Championship game we won the following year when Johnson (the Clawson recruit) was back at QB? OK, so it resembles the "success" at Syracuse with Eric Dungey (previous coach's recruit) and NFL players Chris Slayton (previous coach's recruit) & Zaire Franklin (previous coach's recruit). He did steal Austin Valdez from BG as a transfer so that must have made you extremely happy.

He's bringing in tons of talent to Syracuse. 247 has them as the 10th rated class ACC class in 2019 and the 11th so far in 2020. At BG he was 7th and 8th. Out of the 40+ players can you name more than 10-15 that started a full season for us? The roster was in such great shape we were outscored 195-34 in the first 3 FBS games the following year. You blame it all on Jinks. I think the blame spreads a bit further.
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby Antimob » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:38 pm

kdog27 wrote:
Schadenfreude wrote:

Axe to grind. Been doing it since his first post here.

Yeah, very strange indeed, and he said it in the opening paragraph of his first press conference! Check the transcript. Weird, wild stuff.

I have no more axe to grind with Babers than you all do with Jinks...I just think the utter decimation of a championship football program/culture deserves proper attribution.
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby threestooges » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:39 pm

I'm not willing to blame the program's collapse solely on Dino, but he DID play a part. I'll give Antimob this point -- I too remember Dino's first press conference, when he talked about his initial meeting with the players. I don't remember the exact quote, but he thought it was strange that the players sat up straight when he was talking to them. I remember wondering what in the world he was talking about.

I also think Dino had one foot out the door the day he got here, and that was reflected in his "recruiting". He brought in a few guys (usually transfers) that could help right away, but I don't think there was a ton of recruiting done with an eye on the future. He was looking to have success quickly with Clawson's recruits and take the first Power 5 job that came along, and that's what he did.

(Stephan A. Smith voice) -- HOW-EV-UH ...
While the recruiting dropped off slightly under Dino, it's eminently obvious that Jinks had absolutely no idea how to be a Division-I college head coach. I don't blame the guy for accepting a job that was offered to him (by a crazy person), but Dino did not dig a hole so big that it would've taken a competent coach years to get out. Jinks did exactly that -- dug a hole so deep you can see China from there. Loeffler could be the love child of Doyt Perry and Bill Belichick and we won't win more than 4 or 5 games at the most in 2019.
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:29 am

Dino had one actual recruiting class....hard to gauge much on one class. Scott Miller was his signee...as was Roger Lewis and they're both in the NFL right now. Did he have a different personality than Dave Clawson? Yes...his approach to coaching was more relaxed and "fun"...but then the style of offense he was running was less structured and it required a different mental approach. The bottom line in all this was that the team responded positively and won.

Jinks had no discernible philosophy...no apparent direction. He signed some talent...not much of it stuck. The interior linemen lacked strength, the defense looked completely clueless and the offense was at best...inconsistent.

How anyone can call out Babers for lacking structure while simultaneously defending Jinks is beyond me. Babers has a coaching style that has brought results at three programs. Jinks is a fool who still doesn't seem to grasp how far in over his head he was
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Previous

Return to Football