Boston College QB Matthew McDonald

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: Boston College QB Matthew McDonald

Postby roguewarrior » Wed May 29, 2019 10:51 am

drumstix2388 wrote:
JohnFloyd4Life wrote:It seems like they are granting waivers for football more often than they are making kids sit. I would expect McDonald to be able to play right away. As a P5 transfer at QB this could end up being a big deal and allow Keller to mature if he turns out to be the real deal. I would like to know more about McDonald's recruitment out of HS, if you look at his 247 profile BC is his only official offer but the list of schools that had interest in him is very impressive. Anyone know why he only had one offer?

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Matth ... Interests/

From what I found, he had another offer from Cornell and maybe another Ivy League school, but basically he didn't show out as a quarterback until his senior season due to an injury shortened junior year, so while he was getting high-major interest, none of them were willing to take a flier on a late developing QB when most schools had filled their needs by the time he hit his stride.

That’s about what I gleaned from background. 2 seasons and a spring at BC under Loeffler, and the fact that he is taking him, tell me he is good to go. He already knows this offense beyond what the current BG kids know, as they haven’t installed it all yet....let alone perfected it. I hope he gets waiver!
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby drumstix2388 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:01 am

roguewarrior wrote:
drumstix2388 wrote:
JohnFloyd4Life wrote:It seems like they are granting waivers for football more often than they are making kids sit. I would expect McDonald to be able to play right away. As a P5 transfer at QB this could end up being a big deal and allow Keller to mature if he turns out to be the real deal. I would like to know more about McDonald's recruitment out of HS, if you look at his 247 profile BC is his only official offer but the list of schools that had interest in him is very impressive. Anyone know why he only had one offer?

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Matth ... Interests/

From what I found, he had another offer from Cornell and maybe another Ivy League school, but basically he didn't show out as a quarterback until his senior season due to an injury shortened junior year, so while he was getting high-major interest, none of them were willing to take a flier on a late developing QB when most schools had filled their needs by the time he hit his stride.

That’s about what I gleaned from background. 2 seasons and a spring at BC under Loeffler, and the fact that he is taking him, tell me he is good to go. He already knows this offense beyond what the current BG kids know, as they haven’t installed it all yet....let alone perfected it. I hope he gets waiver!

I hope he does, too. It seems to be granted pretty often when a player hasn't played in two years. I also hope he can build a good rapport with the receivers pretty quickly. June to late August isn't a ton of time to get a lot of work in, so I'd expect that there is still a QB "competition" between McDonald, Loy, and Veasley leading up to the season.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Antimob » Wed May 29, 2019 7:20 pm

McDonald to BG is universally applauded although Chick-fil-A would have generated some controversy.
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby Flipper » Wed May 29, 2019 9:08 pm

Transfer portal......YEAH, BABY!!!
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Antimob » Thu May 30, 2019 2:21 pm

Are you really comparing losing a returning starter with 27 TD passes to scrambling at the last minute for a backup with no other FBS offers that's never thrown a pass?

BG and others like us will be bled dry by this.
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby Flipper » Thu May 30, 2019 8:41 pm

Doege sucked...he was slightly built and prone to injury. He had no other FBS offers. He landed here strictly because of his brother and because Jinks was a great evaluator of HS talent. The problem..of course...was that Jinks was coaching college football

McDonald is a P5 QB who excelled at HS powerhouse Mission Viejo. We are lucky to have him rather than Little Lord Nepotism
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby roguewarrior » Fri May 31, 2019 8:47 am

Flipper wrote:Doege sucked...he was slightly built and prone to injury. He had no other FBS offers. He landed here strictly because of his brother and because Jinks was a great evaluator of HS talent. The problem..of course...was that Jinks was coaching college football

McDonald is a P5 QB who excelled at HS powerhouse Mission Viejo. We are lucky to have him rather than Little Lord Nepotism

Now THAT is a personal targeted attack! Watch out, Mark L will be chastising you soon. Ha!!
roguewarrior
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby roguewarrior » Fri May 31, 2019 8:51 am

I wonder if Doege’s numbers are skewed to the good, like our pass defense numbers, from getting smoked in most games and playing “mop up” type games? I did not watch many games last year, I am new to the program....
roguewarrior
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Flipper » Fri May 31, 2019 12:07 pm

I spoke ill of a former player....a player who left here because....perhaps....we didn't give him an embroidered leather chair to sit on7
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby MarkL » Fri May 31, 2019 6:42 pm

C'mon man, Doege played great here. 12/3 in 2017, 27/11 in 2018, without much offensive line support. He kept us in the MD game way longer than we deserved. Built a good early lead against Oregon. It's not his fault he played for inexperienced coaches and it's not his fault the defense was porous and forced him in to far too many score-every-drive-or-lose situations. Even if the new offense isn't his fit stylistically, he is still going to be missed.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Fri May 31, 2019 6:58 pm

No...he isn't
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Schadenfreude » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:14 am

MarkL wrote:C'mon man, Doege played great here.

I agree.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby drumstix2388 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:09 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
MarkL wrote:C'mon man, Doege played great here.

I agree.

Same here.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:08 pm

He was most effective against 2nd unit defenses in games that were already lost.

Not upset that he left
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Tony4BG » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:47 pm

Any guess when BG hears about waiver for McDonald?
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

PreviousNext

Return to Football