QB Situation

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: QB Situation

Postby drumstix2388 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:08 am

Tony4BG wrote:Heard Veasley is in transfer portal. Sure hope McDonald gets waiver or BG will have one scholarship QB.

If that's true, I'd guess Veasley has heard McDonald is getting his waiver. I can't imagine leaving if you're one of two scholarship QBs on roster. Two QBs usually get decent playing time in any given season.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Dayons_Den » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:33 am

Damn. I was really hoping to see Veasley on the field for the Falcons. Best of luck to him, he has talent. Hope we have things figured out, I'm fine with rebuilding and my expectations are not sky high but I don't want to just pack it in for two seasons until all Loeffler's recruits get here..
all bowling green
Dayons_Den
aka Joe Bair's Lair
aka Joe Bair's Lair

Postby roguewarrior » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:37 am

No one knows about waiver for a few weeks. Veasely was not going to help now or in the future, regardless of who is here.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby JohnFloyd4Life » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:44 am

So we have one scholarship QB who is for sure eligible to play next season...
JohnFloyd4Life
Chick
Chick

Postby mbenecke » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:10 pm

The one QB thing is crazy to me. And yes, I do mean one QB - according to the current roster, if Veasley leaves, there isn't even a walk-on QB on the roster to back up Loy.

I assume we would turn to guys who played QB in high school, if Loy were to go down. That would be a lot like what Kent State did in one of their recent seasons, where a WR lined up to take snaps.

I know this could be a very tough season and that we're working to get things right, but having zero QB depth is frightening.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:23 pm

A couple of the guys on the roster were high school QBs. Davion Daniels was a very solid dual-threat QB throwing for 1,000 and running for 1,300 last season, and walk-on Max Denman had a great senior year at QB for Anthony Wayne (2,300 yards, 33 tds) and is 6'4, 200lbs. He's not showing up on the roster because they haven't added a lot of the true freshman yet.

Basically, yes we are down to one true scholarship QB, but there are a couple of others capable of lining up in the position.
BG '10

drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:31 pm

I watched some video on Denman. Good footwork, keeps his head downfield when he moves around.

Still. This is an alarming lack of depth at QB. We've lost two scholarship QBs to transfer and the status of our incoming transfer is unknown. I've never seen QB depth anywhere near this thin.

Thankfully future depth looks outstanding with two top QB recruits incoming. Make it through this year and the future is bright.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby threestooges » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:24 pm

I'd rather run the wildcat than play a kid with character issues and/or who hasn't bought in. This year more than ever is the perfect time to get rid of such people (I'm not saying that Veasley is or isn't one of these people -- I don't know anything about the kid). We're going to struggle this season no matter what. If we need to do a slow, Clawson-type of rebuild (minus season 1 when he had Sheehan and Barnes), so be it.

Obviously, now that the Wade kid has been announced, it may be a moot point.
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:24 pm

Quarterback Darius Wade, former QB at Boston College, has transferred to BG and is eligible immediately, per Nick Piotrowicz.
BG '10

drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:44 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:Quarterback Darius Wade, former QB at Boston College, has transferred to BG and is eligible immediately, per Nick Piotrowicz.

A bit more info on Wade. Played four years at Boston College, starting a handful of games but ultimately lost the job to Anthony Brown (very talented dude, so nothing to turn your nose up about). Transferred to Delaware this last season as a grad student but never ended up playing, so I assume he maintained his eligibility as a grad transfer. He was rated as a 3-star dual-threat QB out of high school, and the #21 DT-QB in the country. Watching his BC highlights, he is very mobile in the pocket, but can get happy feet pretty quickly. His arm is average, but he can throw on the run and seems relatively accurate. I think it will be a competition between he and Loy for the starting job, but either way, it's great to have at least SOME depth.
BG '10

drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:56 pm

Nice get. He's a lefty. Much more of a runner than Loy. Pretty good arm. A bit of happy feet sometimes. Already knows the offense.

Excellent get. Don't be stunned if he starts.

Edit. Drumstix beat me to basically the same points. Me slow.
MarkL has spoken.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:02 pm

So for 2019, there is Wade, Loy, and hopefully McDonald. Honestly that's a pretty good MAC depth chart at QB. I think we'll be fine on offense. Defense is where of course I worry because we weren't good defensively last year and now we lose the interior of the defensive line.
MarkL has spoken.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:39 pm

MarkL wrote:So for 2019, there is Wade, Loy, and hopefully McDonald. Honestly that's a pretty good MAC depth chart at QB. I think we'll be fine on offense. Defense is where of course I worry because we weren't good defensively last year and now we lose the interior of the defensive line.

I still think McDonald gets the waiver and starts. Then you have (2) change of pace running type QBs to back up, get in the mix to get playing time.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Flipper » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:03 pm

Odd how a situation can go from looking utterly desperate to really pretty decent...even good if the NCAA doesn't screw us....in just a few hours.
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby drumstix2388 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:03 pm

Apparently Wade didn’t play at Delaware because of a shoulder injury that was deemed “career ending,” but he rehabbed hard and believes it’s good to go now. Still, I’d say that this puts him at a disadvantage in the battle, and tend to side with rogue that McDonald would be the favorite if he is approved.
BG '10

drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

PreviousNext

Return to Football