QB Situation

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: QB Situation

Postby Tony4BG » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:03 am

Lets say BG lands Peters.

How many QB sign for '20? Read on Recruiting that another 20' QB will be visiting this weekend.
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby BGSU33 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:22 pm

Flipper wrote:Wait...what? Our student athletes aren't sitting on embroidered leather chairs in their meeting rooms. Good Lord...that's positively BARBARIC...

He actually made a valid point about meeting rooms. Nearly every FBS and FCS school that has a football facility (and nearly all have them nowadays) feature a meeting room with stadium-style seating, similar to what you see in most movie theaters. They look nothing like the flat-floor, tables-and-chairs route that BG chose to go with. When BG built the Sebo Center its meeting room was already subpar and dated compared to others despite being brand new. It was a poor design for the times even then and is even more so now. No one is designing their main meeting room like BG did, which I can only assume was a step to keep costs down. Now, does that matter to everyone? No. But does it matter to some? Absolutely. The facilities race is, has and always will be keeping up with your peers and the Joneses. And if one doesn’t think so, then one is already left behind. Mark my words, if Peters chooses Miami you’ll read a comment related to their facility as playing a part in his decision. Be that as it may, the Sebo is still a nice venue. But it could use some improvements with that being one of them.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:03 pm

Of all the issues confronting the University and the inherent challenges it faces with fielding D1 athletics teams...I would say embroidered leather chairs in the football building meeting rooms would be pretty fu**ing far down the list...
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby roguewarrior » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:00 pm

BGSU33 wrote:
Flipper wrote:Wait...what? Our student athletes aren't sitting on embroidered leather chairs in their meeting rooms. Good Lord...that's positively BARBARIC...

He actually made a valid point about meeting rooms. Nearly every FBS and FCS school that has a football facility (and nearly all have them nowadays) feature a meeting room with stadium-style seating, similar to what you see in most movie theaters. They look nothing like the flat-floor, tables-and-chairs route that BG chose to go with. When BG built the Sebo Center its meeting room was already subpar and dated compared to others despite being brand new. It was a poor design for the times even then and is even more so now. No one is designing their main meeting room like BG did, which I can only assume was a step to keep costs down. Now, does that matter to everyone? No. But does it matter to some? Absolutely. The facilities race is, has and always will be keeping up with your peers and the Joneses. And if one doesn’t think so, then one is already left behind. Mark my words, if Peters chooses Miami you’ll read a comment related to their facility as playing a part in his decision. Be that as it may, the Sebo is still a nice venue. But it could use some improvements with that being one of them.

What else is a HS kid going to say? “ I like the coaches, I like the facilities, I felt at home”....what recruit doesn’t repeat that sentence? It’s a recruiting tool with a nicer place, a bonus, not a requirement to be taj mahal.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby BGSU33 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:43 pm

Flipper wrote:Of all the issues confronting the University and the inherent challenges it faces with fielding D1 athletics teams...I would say embroidered leather chairs in the football building meeting rooms would be pretty fu**ing far down the list...

I would agree, if we were actually talking about embroidered leather chairs. But we're not.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:07 am

Really? Because I could swear that the term "embroidered leather chairs" has been used repeatedly in this thread...
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Falconwriter » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:23 am

BG, like most mid-major football programs, is going to have to pick its battles (financially). How and where to spend the limited resources is a big question. Now if you're an athlete picking a school, should the type of room and chair be a determining factor? In a perfect world, no. But if all other things are equal in that recruit's mind, little flourishes like that could be the difference.

I say that not advocating BG spend its resources for such things...we're not Miami and we don't have the type of funding they get from alums and others (apparently). Unless things change in that area, I don't see BG or many other similar programs taking this route.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Antimob » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:40 pm

Flipper wrote:Really? Because I could swear that the term "embroidered leather chairs" has been used repeatedly in this thread...

We need them not because you like them or don't like them. We need them because most of the teams we're competing against have them, first impressions matter and recruits like nice things.

Recruiting is the non-negotiable lifeblood of any program, most especially Division I. It's one thing to be completely ignorant while it's another thing to revel in such ignorance and derive pride from it.
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby roguewarrior » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:48 pm

Antimob wrote:
Flipper wrote:Really? Because I could swear that the term "embroidered leather chairs" has been used repeatedly in this thread...

We need them not because you like them or don't like them. We need them because most of the teams we're competing against have them, first impressions matter and recruits like nice things.

Recruiting is the non-negotiable lifeblood of any program, most especially Division I. It's one thing to be completely ignorant while it's another thing to revel in such ignorance and derive pride from it.

I am fresh off the recruiting trail. I can say that all places are nice. OSU outshines..MSU has a mystique.... toledo rooms are real nice.... and I really liked BG stadium, as compared to many. Bottom line, if lucky enough to have multiple real “take offers”, you are choosing the best fit for coaches, scheme and playing time. No one worth having is deciding based on how new the desks are.... a shitty place only becomes a conversation when there is no intention of going there anyway... if Belicheck took over EMU, kids would be happy to hang their things up on a nail in the locker room. You certainly don’t want a dump, but Taj Mahal is not the answer. Good coaches, winning program, organized recruitment are the answer. Old desks get overlooked quickly when you love your new coach/team/opportunity.
roguewarrior
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Antimob » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:59 pm

I appreciate you sharing your personal affinities & experience. It is a mature outlook to have but I can assure you that having modern, attractive facilities is cited by every coach as a crucial, critical component of the recruiting process. The investments would not be being made if they weren't. Inferior facilities could be overcome by other factors but why hamstring our coaches and make their jobs more difficult than they already are?
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby footballguy51 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:06 pm

Antimob wrote:I appreciate you sharing your personal affinities & experience. It is a mature outlook to have but I can assure you that having modern, attractive facilities is cited by every coach as a crucial, critical component of the recruiting process. The investments would not be being made if they weren't. Inferior facilities could be overcome by other factors but why hamstring our coaches and make their jobs more difficult than they already are?

If I were a coach, I would cite those things as well because it makes my work atmosphere nicer. Yes, make my office, locker room, team meeting rooms, weight room, and stadium nicer.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:15 pm

roguewarrior wrote:I am fresh off the recruiting trail. I can say that all places are nice. OSU outshines..MSU has a mystique.... toledo rooms are real nice.... and I really liked BG stadium, as compared to many. Bottom line, if lucky enough to have multiple real “take offers”, you are choosing the best fit for coaches, scheme and playing time. No one worth having is deciding based on how new the desks are.... a shitty place only becomes a conversation when there is no intention of going there anyway... if Belicheck took over EMU, kids would be happy to hang their things up on a nail in the locker room. You certainly don’t want a dump, but Taj Mahal is not the answer. Good coaches, winning program, organized recruitment are the answer. Old desks get overlooked quickly when you love your new coach/team/opportunity.

This makes sense to me.

What do you do that you've seen all of these facilities?
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby roguewarrior » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:38 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
roguewarrior wrote:I am fresh off the recruiting trail. I can say that all places are nice. OSU outshines..MSU has a mystique.... toledo rooms are real nice.... and I really liked BG stadium, as compared to many. Bottom line, if lucky enough to have multiple real “take offers”, you are choosing the best fit for coaches, scheme and playing time. No one worth having is deciding based on how new the desks are.... a shitty place only becomes a conversation when there is no intention of going there anyway... if Belicheck took over EMU, kids would be happy to hang their things up on a nail in the locker room. You certainly don’t want a dump, but Taj Mahal is not the answer. Good coaches, winning program, organized recruitment are the answer. Old desks get overlooked quickly when you love your new coach/team/opportunity.

This makes sense to me.

What do you do that you've seen all of these facilities?

Been to all for sons recruiting visits, camps, etc.
roguewarrior
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Tony4BG » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:21 pm

Any guess when BG hears about waiver for McDonald?
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Tony4BG » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:53 am

Heard Veasley is in transfer portal. Sure hope McDonald gets waiver or BG will have one scholarship QB.
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

PreviousNext

Return to Football