QB Situation

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: QB Situation

Postby MarkL » Thu May 23, 2019 8:07 am

We haven't seen Loy used as anything other than a runner so I don't think anybody has grounds to assess him there right now. I'm interested in seeing his passing game. And for that matter, I don't really know too much about what the offense will look like. I hope it is adapted to maximize Loy's athleticism.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby JohnFloyd4Life » Thu May 23, 2019 9:35 am

MarkL wrote:We haven't seen Loy used as anything other than a runner so I don't think anybody has grounds to assess him there right now. I'm interested in seeing his passing game. And for that matter, I don't really know too much about what the offense will look like. I hope it is adapted to maximize Loy's athleticism.

Yeah, I think it all depends on if he can hone his accuracy. I think just because Doege played ahead of him doesn't mean he can't play. He's obviously big and has a strong arm which are sought after attributes in a pro style offense. And it's not you can't utilize his legs, they will be able to get him out of the pocket on play action: boots and waggles etc. Unless the grad transfer we are all imagining appears I think we're gonna find out how good Loeffler is at developing QBs.
JohnFloyd4Life
Chick
Chick

Postby mbenecke » Thu May 23, 2019 10:35 am

MarkL wrote:We haven't seen Loy used as anything other than a runner so I don't think anybody has grounds to assess him there right now. I'm interested in seeing his passing game. And for that matter, I don't really know too much about what the offense will look like. I hope it is adapted to maximize Loy's athleticism.

You're absolutely right that we should adapt to his athleticism.

There's only one throw I remember from Loy, and it was a bad one that would have been a touchdown if he got it to the guy. It was a misdirection play, but I can't for the life of me remember who it was against. I almost think it was the WMU game, but I could be wrong. He had the defense biting on his fake one way, and he just chucked it out of bounds 10 yards over the open man's head.

So yeah, I guess I'm nervous about him throwing the ball, but I think a full off-season with him being "the guy" will do a lot to prepare him. I'm trusting Loeffler knows what he's doing and he will put in the work to field a respectable QB.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Tue May 28, 2019 3:40 pm

MarkL wrote:Young man is a RS Freshman. He ran one offense as a HS senior, then learned another under the previous staff in his redshirt year, and now is learning a new one. Three playbooks in three years.

I'd say that is quite a bit to ask of anyone, let alone a kid one year out of high school. So I don't think that is a fair criticism.

Fair criticism? So if one kid is not as fast as another, it’s not fair to call him slower? No one said mastering the playbook is easy. It is a requirement though, for your starting QB.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Tony4BG » Thu May 30, 2019 12:30 pm

Read on 247 Sports Brandon Peters will visit next weekend after visiting Illinois this Saturday.
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby MarkL » Thu May 30, 2019 2:40 pm

roguewarrior wrote:
MarkL wrote:Young man is a RS Freshman. He ran one offense as a HS senior, then learned another under the previous staff in his redshirt year, and now is learning a new one. Three playbooks in three years.

I'd say that is quite a bit to ask of anyone, let alone a kid one year out of high school. So I don't think that is a fair criticism.

Fair criticism? So if one kid is not as fast as another, it’s not fair to call him slower? No one said mastering the playbook is easy. It is a requirement though, for your starting QB.

Because you targeted the kid. Singled him out. Online. Publicly. And suggested a criticism that has never before been made public.

We don't do that around here. Single out coaches? Yeah. They are professionals and that comes with the territory. Not student athletes.
MarkL has spoken.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Thu May 30, 2019 2:50 pm

Tony4BG wrote:Read on 247 Sports Brandon Peters will visit next weekend after visiting Illinois this Saturday.

I suggested on the transfer watch thread this could happen. If it does, I'll offer my lottery number picks.
MarkL has spoken.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Thu May 30, 2019 4:52 pm

Tony4BG wrote:Read on 247 Sports Brandon Peters will visit next weekend after visiting Illinois this Saturday.

The article said he's visiting Illinois, BG and Miami (OH). Peters would have two years remaining and would be eligible to play immediately. I sure hope he picks BG, but we have an uphill battle to land him. If he chooses BG it will be because of two things, Loeffler, and the opportunity to step right in and play. Illinois would obviously afford him the chance to stay in the Power Five, and Miami has a FANTASTIC new football facility that rivals nearly anything you'll see at many Power Five schools. I got a tour of it and its heads and shoulders above what anyone has in the MAC, it's not even close. Add to that Miami's beautiful campus and it's closer to his hometown, and we're probably going to have to steal him. IMO, if Loeffer can close the deal on Peters it could show the edge he possible has when we're trying to land recruits. Peters is obviously looking for a new school as a grad transfer, but Loeffler will still essentially have to recruit him to come to BG in ways similar that he would with guys coming out of high school.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Thu May 30, 2019 6:00 pm

MarkL wrote:
roguewarrior wrote:

Because you targeted the kid. Singled him out. Online. Publicly. And suggested a criticism that has never before been made public.

We don't do that around here. Single out coaches? Yeah. They are professionals and that comes with the territory. Not student athletes.

Then people here should not ask questions like “what happened to this kid” or “why isn’t that kid Playing”.... apparently the only acceptable answer to anything is “it’s the coaches fault”. Weird.
roguewarrior
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Antimob » Thu May 30, 2019 7:19 pm

BGSU33 wrote: Miami has a FANTASTIC new football facility that rivals nearly anything you'll see at many Power Five schools. I got a tour of it and its heads and shoulders above what anyone has in the MAC, it's not even close.

Hopefully Loeffler and Moose realize how deficient we are in this area and work to rectify it. I cringe when I see our meeting room with tables and chairs like a cafeteria. Modern meeting rooms at UB, WMU and others have stadium seating with leather embroidered chairs.

The Sebo Center was needed but it was needed in 2007 to catch up to decades of neglect. We can't wait decades more and fall behind so dramatically like we did last time.
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby Flipper » Thu May 30, 2019 8:35 pm

Wait...what? Our student athletes aren't sitting on embroidered leather chairs in their meeting rooms. Good Lord...that's positively BARBARIC...
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Antimob » Fri May 31, 2019 12:18 pm

Uh, I never said it was barbaric, I said it places us at a recruiting disadvantage compared with those in the conference that do. Do you dispute that? Didn't think so.
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby Flipper » Fri May 31, 2019 1:45 pm

If a kid is going to base his college choice on a meeting room chair...I am 100% comfortable with him going elsewhere
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Fri May 31, 2019 2:53 pm

Hockey guys got themselves some sweet lookin' embroidered chairs. :supz:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1134448191078723584
2-time BGSU Intramural Curling Champion.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Fri May 31, 2019 3:44 pm

Antimob wrote:Uh, I never said it was barbaric, I said it places us at a recruiting disadvantage compared with those in the conference that do. Do you dispute that? Didn't think so.

I have been to most MAC schools on visits. BG is in about the middle, as far as creature comfort, stadium and field, etc. That stuff was low on our list.... agree that if that is your main concern as a recruit, take your primodanna self elsewhere. Warriors only need apply.
roguewarrior
Fledgling
Fledgling

PreviousNext

Return to Football