Which would you rather see?

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: Which would you rather see?

Postby hammb » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:57 pm

TalonsDownForWhat wrote:The MAC shares are split into 13 with the tourney team getting 2 shares and every other team receiving one

So is it fair to assume, then, that if we got 2 teams in they'd split it 14 ways with each tourney team getting 2?

If that's the case winning last night's game would have netted us an extra $90k. Gets more complicated if UB makes a run (which I expect), or if we had had any success in the tournament.

Either way, the fact that the team that makes the tournament gets an extra share makes making the NCAA tournament a somewhat significant financial advantage.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby It's the Journey... » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:02 pm

And now we all can see why the NCAA wants to make sure all of the smaller conferences only receive one bid. It's all about the Benjamin's.....
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:04 am

It's the Journey... wrote:And now we all can see why the NCAA wants to make sure all of the smaller conferences only receive one bid. It's all about the Benjamin's.....

Yep. As much as basketball would increase BG's visibility nationwide, we'll never win a national championship in the sport, just like football. Hockey remains the one constant where the school can compete and win against the big boys. Sure to some it's a niche sport, but a greater number of NHL players are coming from colleges as coaching has improved and families across the globe see the benefit of their child getting a free education. BG had a better hockey season than Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc. and that's something you're not going to see in hoops.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:37 am

A greater number of players compete in college because of that stupid agreement with t he junior leagues that requires players to complete their Jr eligibility before getting the freedom to be assigned to the NHL or the AHL. If a similar agreement were in place for the Jr's..or at the very least a limited number of exemptions were granted to each team, you'd see less of the top draftees doing that one and done college thing.

The kids who send more than a year in college usually wind up being middle six forwards or 2/3rd pairing Dmen who got drafted in the third round or later. Nice to watch them develop...but they aren't the guys people pay attention to in the NHL.

So far as the hockey team here competing for the NCAA title...;beat the bottom echelon teams consistently and win the WCHA, then you can talk about winning a title that garners about as much national stroke as winning the Camellia Bowl
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Falconwriter » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:27 pm

I love both sports, but I would have picked basketball -- only because that 51-year drought is EMBARRASSING. There's what, maybe 2 or 3 other teams in the entire country that have that long of a streak? Sad. Truly sad.

If that monkey is off the back, then I'd go with hockey because if this program can get back to where it was (and we're close), they absolutely CAN win another national title. It won't be easy...and like basketball, they always seem to lose games they should win, and it ends up killing their chances for any type of tournament bid.

Sometimes, as a BG fan, it feels like we're snake bit on the major men's sports (outside of football..although until a few years ago, you could have thrown football into the conversation, too.) Thank you, Coach Clawson!
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:00 pm

Flipper wrote:, then you can talk about winning a title that garners about as much national stroke as winning the Camellia Bowl

People can make fun of the notion that hockey is a "niche" sport but the fact is the NCAA hockey playoffs would do cartwheels for the type of ratings the Camellia bowl gets. A little under a million people watched last year's Camellia Bowl, compared to about 650k tuning in for the NCAA title game in hockey.

Truth is college baseball is a niche sport. College hockey, in terms of publicity and fanfare basically doesn't even exist.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby TommyG » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:30 pm

hammb wrote:
Flipper wrote:, then you can talk about winning a title that garners about as much national stroke as winning the Camellia Bowl

People can make fun of the notion that hockey is a "niche" sport but the fact is the NCAA hockey playoffs would do cartwheels for the type of ratings the Camellia bowl gets. A little under a million people watched last year's Camellia Bowl, compared to about 650k tuning in for the NCAA title game in hockey.

Truth is college baseball is a niche sport. College hockey, in terms of publicity and fanfare basically doesn't even exist.

Easy guys...don’t go spouting off facts if they aren’t positive for BG Hockey. We’re better than we were 15 years ago, but it isn’t by as much as people think. We have better goaltending and a significantly easier schedule. As mentioned earlier. They should focus on winning a conference title before anyone mentions National Title. The WCHA qualifiers have basically gotten embarrassed in the tournament since conference realignment anyway.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby Schadenfreude » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:09 pm

hammb wrote:Truth is college baseball is a niche sport. College hockey, in terms of publicity and fanfare basically doesn't even exist.

It seems to me this comes down to which side of the Ohio River you live. ESPN can make a big show of airing college baseball games in the spring, but it might as well be cricket as far as I'm concerned. That's not a sport the Big Ten or the MAC are ever going to dominate.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby BGFan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:34 pm

2018-2019 average bouncy ball attendance: 2,141
2018-2019 average hockey attendance: 2,675

I don't recall a year, even when hockey was struggling, that it didn't outdraw basketball in attendance.

FWIW, hockey is very popular at the schools that have teams. Given that there are only 60 D1 teams nationally at the moment I wouldn't expect it to have a huge TV audience. This is why the games are streamed so those that want to pay to watch it can.
BGFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:38 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
hammb wrote:Truth is college baseball is a niche sport. College hockey, in terms of publicity and fanfare basically doesn't even exist.

It seems to me this comes down to which side of the Ohio River you live. ESPN can make a big show of airing college baseball games in the spring, but it might as well be cricket as far as I'm concerned. That's not a sport the Big Ten or the MAC are ever going to dominate.

I don't particularly follow college baseball either. And my point is not at all to downplay BGSU's hockey program. In my experience our Hockey fans are probably the most passionate and loyal fanbase of all of our sports. Certainly they have a better, more consistent following, than does the basketball program.

I'm merely speaking in terms of actual eyeballs that follow these things at a national level. The College WS measures viewers in the millions. The Frozen four measures in hundreds of thousands. In terms of eyeballs College Hockey is about on par with Track & Field, and closer to Gymnastics or Golf in total viewership than even College Baseball. And obviously college baseball is nowhere near hoops and football. That certainly does nothing to lessen the accomplishments of our hockey program. But it does effect the ability of that program to move the needle financially or in exposure for the university.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby BGFan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:41 pm

TommyG wrote:
hammb wrote:

Easy guys...don’t go spouting off facts if they aren’t positive for BG Hockey. We’re better than we were 15 years ago, but it isn’t by as much as people think. We have better goaltending and a significantly easier schedule. As mentioned earlier. They should focus on winning a conference title before anyone mentions National Title. The WCHA qualifiers have basically gotten embarrassed in the tournament since conference realignment anyway.

Strange, however, that the national pundits who actually do know what they're talking about disagree with your assessment since they have us ranked at 13th. Perhaps they forgot to check here for your opinion...
BGFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:44 pm

BGFan wrote:2018-2019 average bouncy ball attendance: 2,141
2018-2019 average hockey attendance: 2,675

I don't recall a year, even when hockey was struggling, that it didn't outdraw basketball in attendance.

FWIW, hockey is very popular at the schools that have teams. Given that there are only 60 D1 teams nationally at the moment I wouldn't expect it to have a huge TV audience. This is why the games are streamed so those that want to pay to watch it can.

No doubt they've got a better fan following here than basketball does.

When I was in school the basketball team was great and the hockey team was pretty mediocre. Pretty sure back then basketball attendance was better than hockey, but the hockey following was still pretty strong.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby BGDrew » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:17 pm

Until the university is able to competitively fund any of our programs these conversations will be moot. Let me specify that I don’t necessarily fault the department because you can’t squeeze blood from a stone. But it’s no secret BG’s athletic department funding is towards, if not at at, the bottom in the MAC. They’re also right around 4th-6th in the WCHA.
Check out our new BGSU hockey site: http://www.bgsuhockey.com
BGDrew
Peregrine
Peregrine

Previous

Return to Football