Which would you rather see?

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Which would you rather see?

Postby kdog27 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:23 pm

If you could only see one happen this year would you rather see the basketball team make the tournament or the hockey team make the tournament? Basketball streak is ridiculous but hockey is pretty darn long too considering the once proud history.

I figured this forum would provide less bias than the basketball or hockey forums.

I'm a closer follower of hockey but I would still rather see basketball in the dance.
kdog27
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Which would you rather see?

Postby mbenecke » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:28 pm

Man, this is tough.

As a student, I have more of a relationship with the senior hockey guys than someone on the outside might have, so I have to go with hockey. But man would it be nice to see that basketball streak end, too.

I guess hockey is my answer because I am closer with those guys, as well as our odds to actually win it all once we're in. I feel like our hockey team stands a chance in a 16-team national tournament, while our basketball team has far worse odds in a 68-team dance.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:33 pm

mbenecke wrote:I feel like our hockey team stands a chance in a 16-team national tournament, while our basketball team has far worse odds in a 68-team dance.

This tips it to hockey for me. We can be a national champion again in hockey. A national championship is difficult to imagine in men's basketball.

But, hey, I'll take what we can get. This 51-year schneid is ridiculous. It would be wonderful to have a team to root for in the Big Dance.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby drumstix2388 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:47 pm

I'm going basketball. I think the hockey drought is ridiculous but I also think we have a program with solid support and a great staff, so I think if it doesn't happen now, it will eventually happen again soon. It's harder for a basketball program to have a long stretch of consistent success, and BG is in a position to get it done this year or next. Plus the money the school receives for making the basketball tournament is significant. Something like $1.5 million if I remember correctly (although it might be shared with the conference).
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGFan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:12 pm

Hockey. I want to see all of our teams have success but, obviously, I'm a major hockey fan so I have no other answer.
BGFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TommyG » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:18 pm

Hockey will not win a national title again....they haven’t even been to the tournament in 30 years (in a sport that 1/4 of the teams make it). Most overrated program ever.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby drumstix2388 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:24 pm

TommyG wrote:Hockey will not win a national title again....they haven’t even been to the tournament in 30 years (in a sport that 1/4 of the teams make it). Most overrated program ever.

Nice job not answering the question while also being a d*ck. Definitely not an overrated program, and I think there is a very realistic chance at the Frozen Four within the next five years. Peer schools have seen that level of success in recent years, and it will happen again here.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TommyG » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:44 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:
TommyG wrote:Hockey will not win a national title again....they haven’t even been to the tournament in 30 years (in a sport that 1/4 of the teams make it). Most overrated program ever.

Nice job not answering the question while also being a d*ck. Definitely not an overrated program, and I think there is a very realistic chance at the Frozen Four within the next five years. Peer schools have seen that level of success in recent years, and it will happen again here.

Frozen Four? Peer institutions? I don’t think so. Can’t even win a WCHA title.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby It's the Journey... » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:11 pm

Basketball to get the monkey off their back. Hockey has turned the corner. An NCAA tournament appearance may be the boost basketball needs.
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:24 pm

I thought about this very topic this morning. I'd love both of course.

If I had to pick one it would be basketball. Hockey is on the cusp every year and any given year could go their way. Basketball, this is the best team in many years and if not this year, I can't say they'll be in the same position next year. I feel like everything is lining up right for basketball where hockey is always in this position these days. Unfortunately it is also the year with the best basketball team in the MAC in decades.

If we can get there including beating Buffalo again, basketball has earned it.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:01 pm

I'm a hockey guy...
2-time BGSU Intramural Curling Champion.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby zete » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:52 am

I would trade both teams getting snubbed by the NCAA and in return having our mighty Falcons totally dismantle the Fighting Irish in front of their faithful on October 5th.....however, that is not one of the choices so - BASKETBALL.
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:24 pm

Basketball....hockey has become semi relevant again, but it's a niche sport nationally. The basketball tournament is like a religious event for millions of people.
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby hammb » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:18 pm

Given the fact that the hoops team ended up falling short last night the hypothetical is really irrelevant. Heck, I suppose it always was because there was nothing preventing BOTH (or neither) from happening.

And I'm so biased that my opinion is generally irrelevant. I've been regularly attending Falcons basketball games since before I went to kindergarten, have had season tickets of my own pretty much since graduation, and haven't been to a hockey game in a couple years.

Looking at it pragmatically basketball is the obvious overwhelming choice. If you're one that feels one of the biggest roles of intercollegiate athletics is increasing the exposure for the university a trip to the NCAA basketball tournament is by far and away the #1 thing that BGSU athletics has any hope to accomplish. A miracle football season ending in a new year's day bowl game would trump a tourney appearance, but that's about it. If your first round game of the NCAA tournament ends up in primetime you can count on that basketball game being watched by more eyeballs than would watch every single hockey game on a national title run combined. If, by some chance, you manage to WIN that game, the exposure to eyeballs would continue to grow exponentially. And that's merely discussing eyeballs actually WATCHING the games. The NCAA tournament will have billions of dollars gambled on it. There will likely be more brackets filled out in any given year than there are votes cast in a presidential election.

Looking at it from a financial point of view a single "tournament share" is worth approximately $1.5million (paid out over 6 years) to the MAC. If we assume that money is doled out evenly to each institution (I'm not sure how the MAC disperses it, each conference has its own rules) that's $125k to BG, and each other school. In most years you could argue that these dollars are a wash. Somebody is getting in from the MAC no matter what, so we're guaranteed a single tourney share no matter what. But this year UB was a lock for an at large bid, so winning last night would have given the MAC 2 shares off the bat. Obviously, winning games increases the conference tournament shares. A simple apparance guarantees your conference $1.5 million, but it could grow to $8million if you made a tournament run.

Like I said, I'm obviously biased. But realistically the university (and its conference) stand to gain far more in both exposure and dollars by making the NCAA tournament than anything the hockey team could ever hope for. I want the hockey team to do well, just like I want our golf and tennis teams to do well. But the sport just doesn't have nearly the potential for exposure as the hoops tournament does. The NCAA hoops tournament is pretty much the biggest sporting event of the year; to be a part of it would be wonderful.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby TalonsDownForWhat » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:56 pm

The MAC shares are split into 13 with the tourney team getting 2 shares and every other team receiving one
TalonsDownForWhat
Egg
Egg

Next

Return to Football