Coaching Updates

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Coaching Updates

Postby drumstix2388 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:40 am

As expected, BVG has been named the defensive coordinator. Perhaps not so expected, Jim Herrmann has been named the AHC and linebacker coach. Talk about a guy with a resume: Michigan defensive coordinator, Super Bowl winning linebacker coach, and spent time with several different NFL teams. You would think high school linebackers would line up to play for this guy.

https://bgsufalcons.com/news/2019/2/19/football-herrmann-tabbed-to-coach-linebackers-vangorder-named-defensive-coordinator.aspx
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Coaching Updates

Postby Flipper » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:59 am

Another impressive hire with strong ties to UM. That should benefit OH/MI/IN/IL recruiting
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby mbenecke » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:59 pm

Michigan won the Big Ten 11 times in his 20 years as an assistant there.

Man, Coach Loeffler has put together an incredible staff. It may take a few years for the wins to come, but this is extremely impressive work so far.

Teams with 2 Broyles Award winners on staff:
Clemson
Bowling Green
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:05 pm

Incredible amount of experience on the defensive side of the ball in terms of coaches. I hope to see a quick turnaround in the coming years.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:59 am

Herrmann is a shock. To have someone with his resume coaching at a G5 school is almost unheard of. BG will have plenty of haters with this staff given Loeffler and BVG's reputation at other programs. Notre Dame fans have that Oct. 5th date circled. Going to be a lot of noise on social media if things start off poorly.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:07 am

I think it speaks volumes about Scott Loeffler as a person that so many experienced coaches who have worked with him in the past are willing to come to a MAC school to work with him. Clearly..the coaching fraternity that worked under Lloyd Carr wants to see him succeed...Angelique Chengelis who covers Michigan for the Detroit News and covered them when he was there thought enough of him to come down here and cover his hiring.

A lot of people with some juice in the Midwest want to see him do well...
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Falconwriter » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:51 am

These hires look terrific on paper. Let's hope they translate well on the field, too.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Antimob » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:18 pm

Hermann alone might have more coaching experience than Jinks' entire staff combined.

I can't see how this doesn't translate to better play and equal if not better results in recruiting.
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby Antimob » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:43 pm

Ohio State recruiting assistant Devon Smith hired as new BGSU Director of Player Personnel:

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/oh ... -personnel
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby MarkL » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:23 pm

I cannot in enough ways say how much I love this coaching staff. And major kudos to Moose. He saw a major problem with the previous staff. And he made the right change.
Now go turn around this program.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tony4BG » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:42 am

New Director of Football Operations too. Looks like she worked with Loeffler at Boston College. Olivia Passy. Only second female to hold this position in MAC history.
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby jpfalcon09 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:46 pm

The Athletic had a nice interview with Loeffler published today.

A couple highlights:

Michael Brewer, who was the QB for Virginia Tech in 14 and 15, is best friends with Seth Doege and Scot is using that relationship to help foster the one with Jarret.

Believes Kevin Tolbert is the most important hire of the current staff.
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Antimob » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:15 pm

The whole "Give Back Fridays" thing is fine and good, but I hope people remember that this is a Division I FBS college football team and not a community service volunteer organization. It's a commendable thing to do but we must be very careful to make sure it doesn't predominate a la Louis Orr's religious obsession. We see a steady stream of tweeted pictures of people in jerseys handing out presents; I'd like to see some Kelvin Tolbert-led weight lifting or speed training.

I'd like to "Give Back" some of those losses to Toledo over the past few years and the way to do that is to get better at playing football.
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby jpfalcon09 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:27 pm

Antimob wrote:The whole "Give Back Fridays" thing is fine and good, but I hope people remember that this is a Division I FBS college football team and not a community service volunteer organization. It's a commendable thing to do but we must be very careful to make sure it doesn't predominate a la Louis Orr's religious obsession. We see a steady stream of tweeted pictures of people in jerseys handing out presents; I'd like to see some Kelvin Tolbert-led weight lifting or speed training.

I'd like to "Give Back" some of those losses to Toledo over the past few years and the way to do that is to get better at playing football.

Lest we forget a year ago this program was in the midst of perhaps its most embarrassing off-season with players getting arrested and videos of assault. I'll gladly take players doing good in the community, building relationships and character, than seeing names in the blotter.
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:10 am

WTF is wrong with you...bitching about young people working in the community? Are you for real?
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Next

Return to Football