Door Still Open For Durkin?

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: Door Still Open For Durkin?

Postby naandre » Mon May 06, 2019 4:49 pm

Antimob wrote:"It's Time To End The Cruel Persecution Of D.J. Durkin"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johntamny/ ... 0f44197ede

This guy's whole argument is that if Durkin was really treating his players poorly than he wouldn't have been able to have had two decent recruiting classes. Which almost makes sense, except that recruits would have had no way of knowing that Durkin was going to treat them like s**t when they signed, because I'm guessing that "I'm going to have my staff treat you like s**t" wasn't part of the recruiting pitch. Now recruits are going to know how he treats players, and if they don't, our rivals will be more than happy to inform them which I would guess is going to effect his ability to bring in top recruits going forward. We don't need this circus, there is no upside to hiring Durkin.
When I close my eyes I still see the Fat Punter!
naandre
Egg
Egg

Postby Antimob » Mon May 06, 2019 5:06 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:Image

There is a lot of cruelty in this world. D.J. Durkin's inability to quickly land another six-figure coaching job at the top level of college football isn't quite that.

I don't think the headline writer meant to draw a comparison to Joseph Kony level evil and atrocity. I think they meant that a group of media members exploiting a tragedy to permanently scar the reputation and career of a man for sport is pretty abominable behavior, particularly for those who hold themselves up as arbiters of truth and fairness.
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby Antimob » Mon May 06, 2019 5:11 pm

naandre wrote:

This guy's whole argument is that if Durkin was really treating his players poorly than he wouldn't have been able to have had two decent recruiting classes. Which almost makes sense, except that recruits would have had no way of knowing that Durkin was going to treat them like s**t when they signed, because I'm guessing that "I'm going to have my staff treat you like s**t" wasn't part of the recruiting pitch. Now recruits are going to know how he treats players, and if they don't, our rivals will be more than happy to inform them which I would guess is going to effect his ability to bring in top recruits going forward. We don't need this circus, there is no upside to hiring Durkin.

Current players host recruits on recruiting visits. If he was as bad as they make him out to be they'd be telling the players to run for the hills. Plus he wasn't just a great recruiter at Maryland, he's been doing it his whole career. If everyone hated the guy how did he keep bringing in great players? The truth is a few of the Maryland players had issues with him and their voices were the only ones heard.
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby threestooges » Mon May 06, 2019 8:08 pm

As someone suggested earlier in this thread, Steve Morrison's been hired. So, to quote Joey Tribbiani, "the point is moo."
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGFan » Tue May 07, 2019 8:31 am

And the door is now closed.
BGFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Tue May 07, 2019 8:34 am

Morrison has a great coaching resume and he's got years is professional sales experience...sounds like a great hire.
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby naandre » Tue May 07, 2019 3:46 pm

Antimob wrote:
naandre wrote:

Current players host recruits on recruiting visits. If he was as bad as they make him out to be they'd be telling the players to run for the hills. Plus he wasn't just a great recruiter at Maryland, he's been doing it his whole career. If everyone hated the guy how did he keep bringing in great players? The truth is a few of the Maryland players had issues with him and their voices were the only ones heard.

He only had two recruiting classes, there was no one there to talk to the first, the second wasn't as good and players are likely to be reluctant to bad mouth a vindictive coach who has almost complete control over thier athletic careers. Luckily, as others have said the point is moo.
When I close my eyes I still see the Fat Punter!
naandre
Egg
Egg

Postby Flipper » Sun May 12, 2019 12:03 pm

The article from the Blade aboutr basketball signee Chandler Turner hilighted the atmosphere of "non personal constructive criticism" within the program. If that's the prevailing philosophy within the department (and it should be) there will probably never be a place for a guy like DJ Durkin
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Antimob » Mon May 13, 2019 5:36 pm

Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby Flipper » Mon May 13, 2019 5:39 pm

What's Urbie up to these days?
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Flipper » Tue May 14, 2019 5:52 pm

I'll bet he's hanging around the house in a wife beater because...well...he really seems to like wife beaters
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Previous

Return to Football