Door Still Open For Durkin?

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: Door Still Open For Durkin?

Postby Antimob » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:48 pm

Here we go again folks. A linebackers coach is needed. Forget mercenaries like Hermann who basically gave the program the middle finger. Michigan fans hated him and I can see why.

Bring in a top flight coach who loves BG and whose only crime is acting too much like Urban Meyer for a bunch of soft players used to losing and not being pushed.
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby threestooges » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:16 am

Antimob wrote:Here we go again folks. A linebackers coach is needed. Forget mercenaries like Hermann who basically gave the program the middle finger. Michigan fans hated him and I can see why.

Bring in a top flight coach who loves BG and whose only crime is acting too much like Urban Meyer for a bunch of soft players used to losing and not being pushed.

Counterpoint: No.
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:05 am

threestooges wrote:
Antimob wrote:Here we go again folks. A linebackers coach is needed. Forget mercenaries like Hermann who basically gave the program the middle finger. Michigan fans hated him and I can see why.

Counterpoint: No.

Counter Counter Point: Common Sense...which says no.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby naandre » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:36 pm

Well, acting too much like Urban Meyer and negligent homicide. I'm really not sure what BG is waiting for, this guy has all of Uban's off-field scumbag qualities combined with none of Urban's on-field success. How is he still jobless?
When I close my eyes I still see the Fat Punter!
naandre
Egg
Egg

Postby Antimob » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:52 pm

So the counterargumens are to not provide a counterargument and libelously accuse him of a felony. Another win for prudence and rationality.
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby drumstix2388 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:26 pm

Antimob wrote:So the counterargumens are to not provide a counterargument and libelously accuse him of a felony. Another win for prudence and rationality.

I wouldn't agree with hiring Durkin based on the accusations against him while he was at Maryland, but I do see why you'd want him. He was a proven recruiter and has a great defensive mind.

I still think it would be a terrible decision. His style of in-your-face coaching doesn't translate well anymore, unless it's a guy like Saban, Izzo, etc., and even though he was recruiting well at Maryland, there weren't results on the field. I also think he'd be more of a recruiting liability than an asset at this point. Other schools would use his past against him every chance they got.

One other point, I don't think he'd fit in with Loeffler's preferred style based on the other coaching hires he has made, and I believe it's really important for all of the coaches to be on the same page in order to right the ship. I've not heard great things about Durkin from the person I know who has had personal contact with him, and I think outside of his Urban Meyer/Jim Harbaugh circle, he's going to have a hard time finding work.

That's my argument against hiring him. I'm not asking you to change your mind, but I'd have a hard time rooting for BG if they had Durkin on staff.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:41 pm

Loeffler doesn't need that baggage..this year will be tough enough as it is.

So...I would say Hell No
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby threestooges » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:49 pm

Flipper wrote:Loeffler doesn't need that baggage..this year will be tough enough as it is.

So...I would say Hell No

Yeah, change my "no" to a "hell no" -- maybe Durkin is the most misunderstood guy in the history of the world, and maybe someone will give him a chance and he'll prove to be Urban Meyer and Nick Saban's football-coaching love child. But, I don't think it's worth BG taking a chance on him at this point in time. As Flipper said, Loeffler's got a daunting-enough task ahead of him without adding a pariah to his staff and facing all of the inevitable backlash. Just hire former Michigan LB Steve Morrison to the staff & be done with it.
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Wed May 01, 2019 7:13 am

Antimob wrote:So the counterargumens are to not provide a counterargument and libelously accuse him of a felony. Another win for prudence and rationality.

MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Wed May 01, 2019 8:14 am

Hell No is not strong enough words. I wouldn't invite DJ Durkin back to campus for homecoming, I sure as hell wouldn't employ him. HE needs to stay as far away from BG as possible.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Antimob » Sat May 04, 2019 12:35 pm

"It's Time To End The Cruel Persecution Of D.J. Durkin"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johntamny/ ... 0f44197ede
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby Falconwriter » Sat May 04, 2019 3:40 pm

Antimob wrote:"It's Time To End The Cruel Persecution Of D.J. Durkin"

All of this aside, true or not, you do not bring someone like this onto the staff of a new head coach who is trying to establish himself. He's a lightning rod for bad PR, and a new coach has enough on his plate without tilting at windmills because he's forced to defend a hiring decision. It's not like the press will be rational on any of this.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Antimob » Sun May 05, 2019 4:04 pm

Falconwriter wrote:

All of this aside, true or not, you do not bring someone like this onto the staff of a new head coach who is trying to establish himself. He's a lightning rod for bad PR, and a new coach has enough on his plate without tilting at windmills because he's forced to defend a hiring decision. It's not like the press will be rational on any of this.

I completely agree. The initial media reaction will be predictable. They'll extract their pound of flesh, feel superior about themselves for it and get a story or column out of it. However, the mob will eventually recede after a couple days and we will be left with a coach, a damn good coach that is one of the best recruiters and technicians in all of college football. Short term memories being what they are, people will forget, the mob will move on to their next juicy target and the world will go on.

The best example is Mike Leach. He was made out to be Attila the Hun for putting Craig James' son in a storage shed. Now he's the toast of college football.
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby Schadenfreude » Mon May 06, 2019 12:08 pm

There is a lot of cruelty in this world. D.J. Durkin's inability to quickly land another six-figure coaching job at the top level of college football isn't quite that.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby Flipper » Mon May 06, 2019 12:50 pm

By even the most charitable accounts...Mr Durkin is a bit of a horse's ass. Perhaps this "persecution" is really just his cosmic comeuppance for being a douche. One can only hope he will take the next few months/years to engage in meaningful introspection and self improvement. Someday...with great effort and patience, he could leave his days as a horse's ass behind and evolve into a man who's simply a bit of a jerk
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

PreviousNext

Return to Football