Gehrig Deiter

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Gehrig Deiter

Postby MarkL » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:24 pm

In the AFC title game, Deiter has what is so far the play of the game in a punt. KC punted, Edelman muffed it, and Deiter recovered, leading to KC's lead.

A Kent State player made a major mistake. And a BG player made the play. Nice!

Edit. Didn't matter ...
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
User avatar
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 4955
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:23 pm
Location: Greater Washington DC area

Re: Gehrig Deiter

Postby Flipper » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:07 pm

Been a pretty amazing afternoon of football...
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
User avatar
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot
 
Posts: 16233
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:01 am
Location: Ida Twp, MI

Re: Gehrig Deiter

Postby hiway44 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:50 am

Play didn't count. No hype sorry.
hiway44
Egg
Egg
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:46 pm

Re: Gehrig Deiter

Postby hammb » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:28 am

I was disappointed in Deiter, as I am nearly every other player I've ever seen recover a muffed kick. I don't understand how these guys that are on kick coverage units don't realize that they can not advance that ball. Is it just so ingrained in them to run it back?

In the grand scheme it doesn't really matter, but I can't tell how many times I've seen players celebrating a TD that couldn't possibly be. Oftentimes even the announcers forget to mention that they're not allowed to advance a muffed kick. Baffling...
User avatar
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries
 
Posts: 12761
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:21 am
Location: Bowling Green

Re: Gehrig Deiter

Postby mbenecke » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:31 am

hammb wrote:I was disappointed in Deiter, as I am nearly every other player I've ever seen recover a muffed kick. I don't understand how these guys that are on kick coverage units don't realize that they can not advance that ball. Is it just so ingrained in them to run it back?

In the grand scheme it doesn't really matter, but I can't tell how many times I've seen players celebrating a TD that couldn't possibly be. Oftentimes even the announcers forget to mention that they're not allowed to advance a muffed kick. Baffling...


I noticed the same thing. That same issue where nobody seems to know the rule is on kickoffs downfield where nobody touches it, even though it's a live ball, and teams sometimes get a 30+ yard onside kick. It's baffling that people who play this game for a living don't know the rule.

I wonder if the reason guys try to return it is because while you can't return a muffed punt, you CAN return a fumble after it was possessed.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
User avatar
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 2441
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:48 pm
Location: Bowling Green

Re: Gehrig Deiter

Postby pdt1081 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:44 am

mbenecke wrote:
hammb wrote:I was disappointed in Deiter, as I am nearly every other player I've ever seen recover a muffed kick. I don't understand how these guys that are on kick coverage units don't realize that they can not advance that ball. Is it just so ingrained in them to run it back?

In the grand scheme it doesn't really matter, but I can't tell how many times I've seen players celebrating a TD that couldn't possibly be. Oftentimes even the announcers forget to mention that they're not allowed to advance a muffed kick. Baffling...


I noticed the same thing. That same issue where nobody seems to know the rule is on kickoffs downfield where nobody touches it, even though it's a live ball, and teams sometimes get a 30+ yard onside kick. It's baffling that people who play this game for a living don't know the rule.

I wonder if the reason guys try to return it is because while you can't return a muffed punt, you CAN return a fumble after it was possessed.

Play till the whistle. Players don't make the decision of fumble or not. They see the ball, the grab the ball, they run.
Phi or Die
User avatar
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 3332
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:09 pm

Re: Gehrig Deiter

Postby mbenecke » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:07 am

And I absolutely agree with that - make the officials make the call. But it's kind of baffling that nobody understands that rule.

It happened here in BG this year. The crowd erupted, the band played the fight song, and the refs didn't even know what was going on.

Just really surprising that some people don't know the rules of the game... when they're in charge of enforcing the rules of the game.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
User avatar
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 2441
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:48 pm
Location: Bowling Green

Re: Gehrig Deiter

Postby hammb » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:09 am

And even worse I've seen guys risk NOT recovering the fumble because they were trying to scoop and run with it, rather than falling on the ball. Obviously we were all taught at the lowest level to just jump on the ball, but I do understand sometimes the risk/reward of going for the big play. But in that case where you're not even allowed to run with it, really surprises me.
User avatar
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries
 
Posts: 12761
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:21 am
Location: Bowling Green

Re: Gehrig Deiter

Postby Schadenfreude » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:27 am

Haven't our football coaches at times taught players to scoop and run? The announcers basically said as much when Brandon Harris ran back a fumble recovery 99 yards at Miami.

(And because that play was so awesome, here it is again: https://screengrabber.deadspin.com/here ... 1819251667. )
User avatar
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller
 
Posts: 6158
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:39 am
Location: Chicagoland

Re: Gehrig Deiter

Postby hammb » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:54 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:Haven't our football coaches at times taught players to scoop and run? The announcers basically said as much when Brandon Harris ran back a fumble recovery 99 yards at Miami.

(And because that play was so awesome, here it is again: https://screengrabber.deadspin.com/here ... 1819251667. )


Good catch, Schad.

In general I'm NOT a fan of the age old "fall on it!" mantra, if there is a possibility of a big play.

But definitely irritates me if I see them trying to scoop and run with a muffed punt which everybody should realize cannot be advanced anyhow.
User avatar
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries
 
Posts: 12761
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:21 am
Location: Bowling Green

Re: Gehrig Deiter

Postby kdog27 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:41 pm

Yep, annoys me when they try to advance a recovery on an onsides kick too.
User avatar
kdog27
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 6594
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Alabama


Return to Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron