Pelini is leaving...

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Pelini is leaving...

Postby Flipper » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:58 pm

Assuming BVG will take over?
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Re: Pelini is leaving...

Postby Falconfreak90 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:17 pm

Got the HC job back at YSU....
Michael W.
BGSU-12 TIME MAC CHAMPION
FALCON FOOTBALL ROCKS!
Falconfreak90
Rubber City Falcon
Rubber City Falcon

Postby hiway44 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:26 pm

What a joke! This guy said on video less then a month ago he was looking forward to turning the program around. Love the kids and even faked cries for our student athletes on his first win. This guy ran the first opportunity. Should have fired him from day one.
hiway44
Egg
Egg

Postby slashba33 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:29 pm

Good...

...although I am just as concerned with BVG taking over. His system is far too complex for the college level. Just look at what happened at his stops at both ND and L’ville.
BG Warrior!!
1 of 5 BG Alumni in the Family!
slashba33
Chick
Chick

Postby Flipper » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:48 pm

Good for him...gets to go home and be a HC ...we have room for another assistant. Maybe another young guy with ties to FL...
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby hiway44 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:28 pm

Coaches have no loyalty to the schools. Why should the athlete be forced to stay at any university if recruited by that coach.
hiway44
Egg
Egg

Postby daspollak » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:40 am

hiway44 wrote:Coaches have no loyalty to the schools. Why should the athlete be forced to stay at any university if recruited by that coach.

This is why kids need to pick the school and not a coach. There is way too much movement in college football, assistants are constantly moving around. Florida just lost their DB coach to Georgia (a rival), two days after he was in on of their top targets house for a visit. College football is shady, and the product is becoming predictable, and this is a big reason why ratings are down.
Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, teach PE.
daspollak
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FalconTurf » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:00 pm

hiway44 wrote:Coaches have no loyalty to the schools. Why should the athlete be forced to stay at any university if recruited by that coach.

And the universities and fans have NO LOYALTY to the coaches. If you don't win enough or big enough you may quickly find yourself under fire. I would contend that most fans aren't really that loyal. One or two losses will send attendance spiraling. Who's the problem? The answer is more complicated than asking if the egg or the chicken came first.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hiway44 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:34 pm

We are all right in our opinions, but the biggest loser is the student athletes. Universities and coaches are profiting off the kids and they get pennies in return. Before you start we all know the education is free, and the minimum COA.
My take is if you sign a contract you should be held to it unless your bought out. Athletes are penalized if they seek a transfer. Coaches should be more accountable as well.
hiway44
Egg
Egg

Postby Rollo83 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:53 pm

How are student athletes the losers? A free six-figure education, housing, training table like no other, personal trainers, health insurance, tutors, gear, travel, and often part-time/summer jobs with school or alumni. At Power 5 conferences they get the chance to display their skills to their next potential employer (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS), who does pay...handsomely.

Once these athletes get into the "real world", they'll find out that their is no absolute loyalty from an employer. You produce or your employer has little or no use for you. That's just a reality.

I personally don't think student athletes need any more incentives or rewards for playing college athletics. If you want to be compensated for playing, go pro. Its not about the small stipend people are proposing. It's about the slippery slope it creates and how the NCAA would police it.
"Windows are for cheaters, chimneys for the poor.
Closets are for hangers, winners use the door."

-B. Springsteen
Rollo83
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:41 pm

Cute to see somebody on a BG/MAC board talking about the profiting off of the student athletes.

You may wanna check your data, because around here athletics cost the general student population a small fortune. Football is especially expensive with the kids footing the bill.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby daspollak » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:16 am

Rollo83 wrote:How are student athletes the losers? A free six-figure education, housing, training table like no other, personal trainers, health insurance, tutors, gear, travel, and often part-time/summer jobs with school or alumni. At Power 5 conferences they get the chance to display their skills to their next potential employer (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS), who does pay...handsomely.

Once these athletes get into the "real world", they'll find out that their is no absolute loyalty from an employer. You produce or your employer has little or no use for you. That's just a reality.

I personally don't think student athletes need any more incentives or rewards for playing college athletics. If you want to be compensated for playing, go pro. Its not about the small stipend people are proposing. It's about the slippery slope it creates and how the NCAA would police it.

I would like to see the Olympic model adopted. Athletes can use their name and likeness to advertise products, but do not receive any payment from the school.
Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, teach PE.
daspollak
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:49 am

I wonder if this was planned weeks ago.

(EDIT: And I see OrangeandBrown has had a similar thought. http://orangeandbrown.blogspot.com/2019 ... stown.html.)

Regardless: Pelini held things together here while he was in charge. That was a tough situation. He seemed to handle it pretty well. I wish him the best.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby jpfalcon09 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:24 am

Wish Carl the best. He deserves a ton of credit for holding the fort together after Jinks was let go. Can't wait to see the internet trolls once BVG is named DC.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Antimob » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:24 pm

In about a month we'll get an article of all the people that applied for the job yet not hear about any of the them (except BVG) until the official announcement is made.
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Next

Return to Football