Early signing day

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: Early signing day

Postby Schadenfreude » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:45 pm

Scott Loeffler told the Blade he is emphasizing recruiting in Ohio because “(i)f you really evaluate when Bowling Green has won championships, you look at the roster and anywhere between 65 percent and 75 percent of the kids come from the state of Ohio.”

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/bgsu ... 0181219097

I'm not sure what surprises me more: The statistic or the fact that Loeffler is already knowledgeable enough about Falcon football to be able to cite it. (He seems to be working hard!)

Do others have ideas on why this stat might be true? It surprises me, to be honest.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller

Postby Globetrotter » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:49 pm

I have ideas on why it could be true.

Local guys have more of a connection to the school. They don't want to be somewhere else because they don't know any better. People from the south or big cities may never really by in and see BG as a school that they have to go to because they don't have other options. In state players are used to gray skies for 4-5 months and very little to do.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby It's the Journey... » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:55 pm

I would think that stat is accurate on the surface. If you look at past championships the college football landscape was different and schools like BG did not pull from states like Texas and Florida. If you were to separate our titles to before 2000 and after 2000 I wonder what those numbers would look like.
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:46 pm

It's the Journey... wrote:I would think that stat is accurate on the surface. If you look at past championships the college football landscape was different and schools like BG did not pull from states like Texas and Florida. If you were to separate our titles to before 2000 and after 2000 I wonder what those numbers would look like.

Since bgsufalcons.com still has the rosters up there I went and looked at our most recent rosters that were good teams.

2014 had 44 kids from Ohio
2013 had 45 kids from Ohio
2012 had 43 kids from Ohio
2011 had 46 kids from Ohio
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Flipper » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:12 pm

Globetrotter wrote:I have ideas on why it could be true.

Local guys have more of a connection to the school. They don't want to be somewhere else because they don't know any better. People from the south or big cities may never really by in and see BG as a school that they have to go to because they don't have other options. In state players are used to gray skies for 4-5 months and very little to do.

So...in you view only bumpkins with a limited world view want to attend college at BGSU. I think that's a bit odd since we've had a number of kids from places like Orlando and Miami attend college in BG and they seemed to have a ball here...
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Flipper » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:14 pm

I think Clawson had the right idea in focusing on the area (OH, mi, IN, IL and PA) and then going outside to places like FL when needed for players.
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby MarkL » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:47 pm

I am a bit surprised that we did not sign any RBs. With Loeffler's success coaching AJ Dillon, I figured RBs would want to play here.

But good news. We already have the conference's best and deepest set of backs.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:14 am

hammb wrote:Since bgsufalcons.com still has the rosters up there I went and looked at our most recent rosters that were good teams.

Thanks for looking that up. This is what I would have expected.
Schadenfreude

Postby hammb » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:21 am

Schadenfreude wrote:
hammb wrote:Since bgsufalcons.com still has the rosters up there I went and looked at our most recent rosters that were good teams.

Thanks for looking that up. This is what I would have expected.

Was no problem. I should note I did this research in the easiest/quickest way imaginable. I went to those old roster pages and did a word count search for "OHIO"

I didn't notice any instances where I picked up extra Ohios, but didn't look super close either. Also conceivable that there could be some roster entries that didn't use their usual convention and instead had an abbreviated OH rather than spelling out the state, but I didn't notice any of those either.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Tony4BG » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:22 pm

How low it go for 2015-18 for Ohio guys?
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby BGFan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:12 pm

I think it's easier for a guy from this area to play in this area when it gets cold. Someone from a warm climate who isn't used to playing in freezing weather will have a harder time in late November because he isn't used to playing in it. Just a thought...
BGFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Antimob » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:34 pm

Janssen Patton: Georgia
Keon Newson: Georgia
Daniel Sayles: Georgia
Charles Sharon: Florida
Willie Geter: Florida
Travis Greene: Florida
Omar Jacobs: Florida
Fred Coppet: Florida

Must continue to recruit Florida and Georgia.
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby Falconwriter » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:48 am

Antimob wrote:Janssen Patton: Georgia
Keon Newson: Georgia
Daniel Sayles: Georgia
Charles Sharon: Florida
Willie Geter: Florida
Travis Greene: Florida
Omar Jacobs: Florida
Fred Coppet: Florida

Must continue to recruit Florida and Georgia.

Nobody is advocating BG abandon Florida, Texas or any other Southern state. But if you want to have a very good program, consistently, you have to have the core of your team from Ohio and surrounding states. And besides, Ohio still produces a good amount of D-1 players, despite the overall population of the state being somewhat stagnant.

I do have a suggestion for the staff: focus more on the greater Columbus area when recruiting Ohio. The quality of players here, particularly in the (very large) Ohio Capitol Conference, is very good -- and is only going to continue to get better. As the city and suburban areas have grown, the level of play has only gone up. This area is expected to hit 2 million in population in the next 20 years or so (it's at about 1.5 million now), and most of it is younger.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby bgsurick » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:02 am

Add TJ Carswell to that list from Georgia.
bgsurick
Egg
Egg

Postby Falcon Commander » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:28 pm

Flipper wrote:We had three kids from coach Warner's HS in for a visit. With his connections down there...I doubt we'll abandon the state

per Nick at The Blade...

"Bowling Green is really hitting Florida hard this week in recruiting. I wouldn't be surprised to see them pull a few guys from the Tampa area in the '19 and '20 classes."
Show our Spirit,
Make them Fear it,
Fight for Dear Bee Gee.

REBUILD-ING --> BG HOCKEY!!
Falcon Commander
Peregrine
Peregrine

PreviousNext

Return to Football