Potential replacement?

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: Potential replacement?

Postby pdt1081 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:36 am

guest44 wrote:Weather delays have slowed the search? Basketball teams fly all over the country all winter long. Lol I sure hope more than just Pelini and Polian have been interviewed. If not, BG fired Jinks with basically no game plan. If somehow Pelini ends up with this job, which I think becomes slightly more likely with each passing day, it will be the all time level of department dysfunction.

The Chicago airport was shutdown/massive delays the past couple days. If they are flying someone in for an interview, it's very possible.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:38 am

I'm wearing an orange dress shirt to the office. I put my daughter in a BG onesie. I'm predicting we hear affirmative word today on the conclusion of the coaching search.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:47 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75-7k4hpyO8&t=448s

Video from BCSN with John Gibson, recapping the season but also spending a good chunk of time on the coaching search. Gibby believes we will hear an announcement today.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tony4BG » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:48 am

MarkL wrote:I'm wearing an orange dress shirt to the office. I put my daughter in a BG onesie. I'm predicting we hear affirmative word today on the conclusion of the coaching search.

Didn't wear orange today but sure hope we hear something soon!
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Tony4BG » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:02 am

Just heard announcement could come today!
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:38 am

Antimob wrote:This should have been done by now...they've had plenty of time.

Alea iacta est.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller

Postby Redwingtom » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:40 am

I didn't read this whole thread and have not been in the loop at all with the replacement, but on The Ticket yesterday morning, they were talking about college coaches related to Michigan and Jamie Samuelson just threw this out there: "...Brady Hoke...who's about to be named the next coach at Bowling Green..."

I about drove off the road. Anyone else heard his name mentioned anywhere?

I don't know if Jamie knows something or was just really confused about something as he first indicated incorrectly that Brady Hoke had already coached here...but was corrected by Stoney to it being Ball State.
Redwingtom
Redwingtom
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:42 am

Redwingtom wrote:I didn't read this whole thread and have not been in the loop at all with the replacement, but on The Ticket yesterday morning, they were talking about college coaches related to Michigan and Jamie Samuelson just threw this out there: "...Brady Hoke...who's about to be named the next coach at Bowling Green..."

I don't know if Jamie knows something or was just really confused about something as he first indicated incorrectly that Brady Hoke had already coached here...but was corrected by Stoney to it being Ball State.

Yahoo had mentioned Hoke because of Moose's time at SDSU. From what I've read, he was never considered.
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:42 am

Redwingtom wrote:I didn't read this whole thread and have not been in the loop at all with the replacement, but on The Ticket yesterday morning, they were talking about college coaches related to Michigan and Jamie Samuelson just threw this out there: "...Brady Hoke...who's about to be named the next coach at Bowling Green..."

Yahoo had mentioned Hoke because of Moose's time at SDSU. From what I've read, he was never considered.
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:20 pm

Jamie and Stoney are idiots. No one...other than Valenti and Wojo (for humor) are worth listening to
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby kdog27 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:22 pm

I'm not going look through 22 pages did anyone suggest the guy we actually hired?
kdog27
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tony4BG » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:35 pm

kdog27 wrote:I'm not going look through 22 pages did anyone suggest the guy we actually hired?

Don't believe so.

Not sure if good or bad.
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Schadenfreude » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:29 pm

The Blade obtained public records on the coaching search. Some really interesting nuggets here. Among them:

...the winningest head coach in the state also made a push to be considered for the Bowling Green job.

Mount Union coach Vince Kehres’ representative, Toledo attorney Bennet H. Speyer, wrote in an email that Kehres “would appreciate consideration in BGSU’s search for its next head coach.” ...

[Search coordinator Gene] DeFilippo, however, remained skeptical in email correspondence, saying he would reach out to Kehres, but he believed D-III to D-I is a “HUGE jump.”

“Coaching is coaching but hiring a staff, recruiting and administrating all the people involved in a Div 1 program is SO different and he has no Div 1 experience," DeFilippo wrote.

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/bgsu ... 0190111118
Schadenfreude

Postby Antimob » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:47 pm

Real reporting would have uncovered these names BEFORE they became a matter of public record.

This story is about a month and a half late.

For 41 days all we heard was Pelini and Polian, the latter of which came from footballscoop.
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby Schadenfreude » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:10 pm

Antimob wrote:Real reporting would have uncovered these names BEFORE they became a matter of public record.

Not necessarily. Government organizations sometimes go to great lengths to limit the amount of information they make available to the public before making a hire like this. Indeed, one of the reasons public entities sometimes turn to search firms for high profile hires is that it limits the amount of information in public records that must be disclosed. (I'm not saying this was part of BGSU's thinking. But it probably is a factor sometimes.)

It would have been a real challenge for The Blade to be able to authoritatively tell the public who the finalists were for this job before the hire was made if BGSU didn't want that information out there. All media had to work with was low-hanging fruit like tips here and there from agents and social media and blog chatter, all of which is pretty unreliable.
Schadenfreude

PreviousNext

Return to Football