Potential replacement?

Postby Tony4BG » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:59 pm

Thoughts?
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Re: Potential replacement?

Postby factman » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:13 pm

Greg Studrawa would be my 1st choice. OC in the SEC and others, great recruiter and in Ohio, BG alum, would probably stay until retirement which is a ways off, all around good guy and knows the community well and what it takes to succeed here.
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:19 pm

Studrawa... Carl....Kehres from Mount Union...Mike Tressel from MSU....East Tennessee State's Randy Sanders..
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby MarkL » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:24 pm

Nick Holt, DC at Purdue. Turned around an awful defense overnight. Works with one of the top offensive minds in football. Has recruited midwest since 2014.
Open admission. My MS is from Purdue. And I have to brag about my other Alma Mater. I studied Cyber Forensics, where Purdue had one of the first programs and is frequently ranked #1 nationwide. And the program is under CERIAS, which is the information security department at Purdue, which also frequently ranks #1. Boiler Up!

Other possibilities.
Houston at JMU.
Matt Canada, if we can get him since Maryland will probably clean house soon.
Anybody at Michigan State. They win 10 games seemingly every year while recruiting 3 star guys. They know how to evaluate and develop.
Current OC at Notre Dame. Although I really want to go either established head coach or established defensive coordinator here.
Ruffin McNeill. Former DC and HC, ran a similar offense. He was fired but apparently it was a power play by the AD.
And I echo the sentiment on Stud. Not my first pick. But I would welcome him in a heartbeat.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:29 pm

I've cooled on Bo Pelini for two reasons.
1. http://www.vindy.com/news/2018/sep/23/domestic-violence-cases-ysu-osu-share-similarities/
2. https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/convicted-rapist-malik-richmond-remains-at-youngstown-state-as-school-settles-suit/

Two chief complaints about Jinks were the early staff fight at a bar and player arrests. I would rather not hire a new guy with same problems.

Carl, however. He has five weeks to interview for the job. If we finish 6-6 with wins over over Buffalo and Ohio and hit bowl eligibility, I bet Carl gets the job.
MarkL has spoken.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:53 pm

Mike Houston - James Madison, gone to the FCS Championship last two years
Mike Elko - DC Texas A&M, previous relationship with BG, familiarity with the MAC
Ryan Day - OC, Ohio State, probably takes a pay cut but would bring name recognition and likely a fun offense
Stud - We all know why
Kehres - Would be interesting, but big jump from D3 to D1
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hiway44 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:11 pm

Marcus Freeman

My pick or at least top two candidates would be: Marcus Freeman from the Univ. of Cincinnati. Current employed as Defense Coordinator Univ of Cincinnati.

Get him on the low side of the pay scale. Has ties to Ohio State, Purdue, Urban Myers, Luke Fickle. Strong recruiter in Ohio, PA and surrounding states.

Proven winner with every team that he has been associated with.
Current record with Fickle is 6-0.
Fickle may be leaving Cincinnati after this season as reported on ESPN. That means his staff would be looking to move.
hiway44
Egg
Egg

Postby gmartin » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:25 pm

I said Mike Houston in the other thread. His salary is $391,000 but with bonuses it is over 500k, the same as Jinks. His current contract is for 9 more years. That would be the slam dunk hire. Would Houston leave an FCS school to come to an FBS.
gmartin
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:26 pm

factman wrote:Greg Studrawa would be my 1st choice. OC in the SEC and others, great recruiter and in Ohio, BG alum, would probably stay until retirement which is a ways off, all around good guy and knows the community well and what it takes to succeed here.

I guess if he isn't coaching the line. He has been an out and out failure in that regard too many times. LSU fired him, and the OSU OL has regressed badly as the season has gone along. I ask an honest question: can someone who hasn't had success as a position coach of late, be a good head coach?
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:27 pm

Falconwriter wrote:
factman wrote:Greg Studrawa would be my 1st choice. OC in the SEC and others, great recruiter and in Ohio, BG alum, would probably stay until retirement which is a ways off, all around good guy and knows the community well and what it takes to succeed here.

I guess if he isn't coaching the line. He has been an out and out failure in that regard too many times. LSU fired him, and the OSU OL has regressed badly as the season has gone along. I ask an honest question: can someone who hasn't had success as a position coach of late, be a good head coach?

Dave Clawson.
MarkL has spoken.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hiway44 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:30 pm

Greg Studrawa vs Marcus Freeman.

Freeman wins easy. Check the background.
hiway44
Egg
Egg

Postby Falconwriter » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:33 pm

MarkL wrote:
Falconwriter wrote:

Dave Clawson.

Fair enough. I didn't know that about Clawson. I hope whomever they get has the fire to right this program to the point BG can actually beat its rival again. Every coach of the last decade has failed at that, including Clawson.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:37 pm

Immediately prior to BG Clawson was fired at OC / QB coach at Tennessee along with the entire coaching staff. Offense was blamed for the bad 2008.
MarkL has spoken.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconfreak90 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:55 pm

jpfalcon09 wrote:Mike Houston - James Madison, gone to the FCS Championship last two years
Mike Elko - DC Texas A&M, previous relationship with BG, familiarity with the MAC
Ryan Day - OC, Ohio State, probably takes a pay cut but would bring name recognition and likely a fun offense
Stud - We all know why
Kehres - Would be interesting, but big jump from D3 to D1

This is my choice, If I had to pick now. But he's making at least a million at TX A & M right now.
Michael W.
BGSU-12 TIME MAC CHAMPION
FALCON FOOTBALL ROCKS!
Falconfreak90
Rubber City Falcon
Rubber City Falcon

Postby MarkL » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:05 pm

IIRC Ryan Day was offered the Mississippi State job last year and turned it down. I can't imagine he turned that opportunity down with aspirations for coaching at Bowling Green.
MarkL has spoken.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to Football