New Football Stadium

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

New Football Stadium

Postby OrangeIsTheNewFast » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:31 am

Heard some buzz around campus that there may be a new stadium coming into play. With the Doyt aging, and weathering away in the brutal climates of Bowing Green Ohio, some say a new one is coming. With the golf course being shut down at the end of this season, does the ground breaking happen next spring? Personally would love to score a touchdown on hole 17's green! Any other thoughts or rumors about this?
OrangeIsTheNewFast
Egg
Egg

Re: New Football Stadium

Postby Schadenfreude » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:34 am

Given the location of the Sebo Center, I'd be shocked if they rebuilt anywhere else.

I'm guessing this rumor is unfounded. If BGSU was ever to rebuild, I assume they would try to do so in place -- tearing down one side of the stadium and then the other, as needed, perhaps over two seasons.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller

Postby Flipper » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:26 pm

I tend to agree with Schad...doing anything but a rebuild/replace in the current location seems like a really bad idea. However...stupider ideas than that have come to fruition in my lifetime, so I remain open to the prospect.
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Redwingtom » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:32 pm

Unless someone put up nearly all the money...and why would they...this ain't happening ever.
Redwingtom
Redwingtom
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:28 pm

I was wondering if the closure of the golf course would lead to a new football stadium. But I agree, not likely. I'm guessing a stadium renovation is in the near future. If there were to be a new stadium, it would likely be right where the current one is.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby bgsumepley » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:10 pm

Found this today on the OSports site who BGSU athletics has been working with. It was uploaded this week looks like.

https://www.osborn-eng.com/Oset/Project/7/422/1041
bgsumepley
Egg
Egg

Postby jpfalcon09 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:32 pm

No way they build new. They dumped a bunch of money into the stadium a few years ago to fix leaks and re-seal the concrete, along with re-doing the entrance points.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:35 pm

I've always thought the south end zone looks cheap with a temporary tent. The proposed look is a good one.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:56 pm

jpfalcon09 wrote:No way they build new. They dumped a bunch of money into the stadium a few years ago to fix leaks and re-seal the concrete, along with re-doing the entrance points.

That appears to be the existing stadium with some additions. It looks pretty cool. And we all know how awful the concessions are currently.

My only caution would be to make sure BGSU is able to add seats on the east and west side if we ever need to years from now. Perhaps that new press box is consistent with that.
Schadenfreude

Postby Falco_peregrinusana » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:04 pm

Redwingtom wrote:Unless someone put up nearly all the money...and why would they...this ain't happening ever.

Do we have any billionaire alumns?? :D
Falco_peregrinusana
Egg
Egg

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:38 pm

Falco_peregrinusana wrote:
Redwingtom wrote:Unless someone put up nearly all the money...and why would they...this ain't happening ever.

Do we have any billionaire alumns?? :D

Bob Sebo is said to be a fifth of the way there.
Schadenfreude

Postby drumstix2388 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:06 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
jpfalcon09 wrote:No way they build new. They dumped a bunch of money into the stadium a few years ago to fix leaks and re-seal the concrete, along with re-doing the entrance points.

That appears to be the existing stadium with some additions. It looks pretty cool. And we all know how awful the concessions are currently.

My only caution would be to make sure BGSU is able to add seats on the east and west side if we ever need to years from now. Perhaps that new press box is consistent with that.

Though I like the improvements in the renderings, I'd still want to see each grandstand ultimately replaced. This still just looks like two old grandstands with two new endzones.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:56 pm

All I ever heard coaches mention was a football only indoor facility, out where the grass practice fields are. Said some money guys were in play, but that was a year or more ago, pre-Covid, pre-monetary losses.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby FalconTurf » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:17 pm

In the fantasy world of BG Football a 30,000 seat dome would be the ultimate with no need for a practice facility.

I understand the current grandstands have limited access points (4 narrow ramps), minimal pitch and concessions that are much more appropriate for the late 60's bodies with limited appetites, but the angles are wonderful in the bowl shape. It makes for great sight lines from any seat. That, I suspect, might be the most expensive feature to reproduce in new construction. It would be a shame to go from a concrete shaped structure to a metal frame straight line structure that looks like the seating for baseball that looks cheap.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby threestooges » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:28 pm

Hopefully they go with the Jetsons-like model that was floated around when the Doyt was originally built. I'm too lazy to search for it right now, but I'm sure there are renderings or blueprints of that proposed stadium on the internet somewhere.
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to Football