MAC: No more hotels for home games

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: MAC: No more hotels for home games

Postby Flipper » Wed May 20, 2020 4:17 pm

mbenecke wrote:
Flipper wrote:Did any other sport follow this "hotel before a home game" protocol? I suspect not....

I also suspect that's the case. We do have to remember, though, that no other sport has to keep track of anywhere near 100 players like football does.

They have 100 players...but they also have a virtual phalanx of coaches...over 20, IIRC...hell, with those numbers they could host sleep overs at their cribs. Take 4-5 players each and be done with it. :)
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby mbenecke » Wed May 20, 2020 4:56 pm

Flipper wrote:
mbenecke wrote:
Flipper wrote:Did any other sport follow this "hotel before a home game" protocol? I suspect not....

I also suspect that's the case. We do have to remember, though, that no other sport has to keep track of anywhere near 100 players like football does.

They have 100 players...but they also have a virtual phalanx of coaches...over 20, IIRC...hell, with those numbers they could host sleep overs at their cribs. Take 4-5 players each and be done with it. :)

To be a fly on the wall for a sleepover at Coach Loeffler's house... :lol:
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Tue May 26, 2020 11:21 am

Flipper wrote:
mbenecke wrote:

Only the travel roster stays at hotels, even at home games. So a walk on or player that suits up at home games and isn’t on travel roster, is not at the Home hotel.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby moneymaker02 » Fri May 29, 2020 1:31 pm

If you don't understand the reason for staying in the hotel the night before a game then you never played sports. It's a way to guarantee players get a good night sleep without noise of the dorm or neighbors or having to worry about them going out the night before a game. For example, lets say you have a 12pm game but the players go out the night before and get home at 1:30-2am. They generally have to be at the stadium around 8am to get warmed up, get PT, get taped, stretched ect.....I'm all for having the team in one location and guaranteeing where they are. Keep in mind, these are kids, and are not as responsible and would not make the same decisions as a pro who is 33.
moneymaker02
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby threestooges » Fri May 29, 2020 1:42 pm

moneymaker02 wrote:If you don't understand the reason for staying in the hotel the night before a game then you never played sports. It's a way to guarantee players get a good night sleep without noise of the dorm or neighbors or having to worry about them going out the night before a game. For example, lets say you have a 12pm game but the players go out the night before and get home at 1:30-2am. They generally have to be at the stadium around 8am to get warmed up, get PT, get taped, stretched ect.....I'm all for having the team in one location and guaranteeing where they are. Keep in mind, these are kids, and are not as responsible and would not make the same decisions as a pro who is 33.

While I don't disagree with any of your points ... if you're an athletic department needing to save money, hotel stays before home games is one of the first things that can be eliminated.
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine

Previous

Return to Football