Changes need in MLB

Most things go...some holds barred...say what's on your mind (to an extent).
Forum rules This forum is a "Free-for-all" type forum, but without all the freedom. ;-) Religious or political discussions will not be tolerated, nor will personal attacks. The forum will be policed offending posts will be removed, and offending posters will be warned and/or disciplined.

Changes need in MLB

Postby gmartin » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:32 am

I have thought this for quite some time but after watching game 7 of the World Series it got me thinking again. Baseball needs to change how and whom it credits a win in baseball.

Last night Chapman pitched 1 1/3 innings. He gave up 3 runs and was credited with a blown save and then also the win. Ridiculous. You give up 3 runs but get the win.

Also, Hendricks pitches 4 2/3 innings got robbed of a non called strike 3 to end the 5th inning. Maddon comes out and takes out Hendricks and replaces him with Lester. Hendricks gives up 1 run. Lester pitches 3 innings and gives up 2 runs. If Chapman didn't blow the save Lester would have been credited for the win.

I think MLB needs to adjust how they credit wins.
gmartin
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Changes need in MLB

Postby hammb » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:53 am

I just think they need to do away with the stat altogether. The only stat less meaningful than "wins" is "Saves".

Both are completely bogus and irrelevant stats. It's kinda funny that Chapman got the "win" after he actually blew the game, but other than that it's nothing more than a footnote to me.

Of course I'm biased because I lose my fantasy baseball league every year because I find it impossible to value those stats, yet they still count as 2 of the 5 pitcher categories in my league...
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Redwingtom » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:27 am

No. They actually already have this covered:

The verbiage is a little thick on these rules, so maybe some examples will help:

The winning pitcher is defined as the pitcher who last pitched prior to the half-inning when the winning team took the lead for the last time.
a. Exception 1, the starting pitcher must pitch at least 5 innings to be eligible for a win.
b. Exception 2, if a relief pitcher, who would normally be in line for a win, makes a "brief appearance" and is deemed ineffective, the official scorer can grant the win to the succeeding relief pitcher.

And to me it doesn't even apply in this case because Chapman, after he blew the save, pitched a 1-2-3 ninth inning, which allowed the cubs to win it in the 10th.
Redwingtom
Redwingtom
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby gmartin » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:43 am

I understand those exception but still giving up 3 runs in 1.1 innings is still an ERA of 20.25.

But if Kendricks goes 4 2/3 and say Lester went 1 1/3 and 3 other relievers each went an inning they going to give the win to Lester as he completed the 5th inning. Kendricks pitched longer and was more effective. I'm just using this as an example.

This was the first world series ever where no starter went past six innings. Great game (Maddon tried to give the game away) and great series.
gmartin
Peregrine
Peregrine

Return to Mostly-Free-For-Many