First SBX, now Myles

Most things go...some holds barred...say what's on your mind (to an extent).
Forum rules This forum is a "Free-for-all" type forum, but without all the freedom. ;-) Religious or political discussions will not be tolerated, nor will personal attacks. The forum will be policed offending posts will be removed, and offending posters will be warned and/or disciplined.

Re: First SBX, now Myles

Postby footballguy51 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:55 pm

rood wrote:Current bid $580.

Not by me.

Dumbest thing ever. Seriously? $580 for a pizza?
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby transfer2BGSU » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:02 pm

footballguy51 wrote:

Not by me.

EXACTLY! It ain't even a Mexican Lovers. That would be worth even more!
"The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back" -Herb Brooks
transfer2BGSU
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:05 pm

footballguy51 wrote:

Not by me.

Being auctioned by a not-for-profit food pantry. Somebody is buying a tax write off and possibly some publicity if they want it.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:35 am

pdt1081 wrote:Being auctioned by a not-for-profit food pantry. Somebody is buying a tax write off and possibly some publicity if they want it.

If someone in the top tax bracket ($415,050 for singles; $466,950 for married couples) claims it as a charitable deduction, that's still a $350 pizza.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby truth » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:10 pm

I'm down to my last 1/4 of a myles pizza. I'll probably enjoy it over the weekend. I'm debating whether to eat the last slice from crust to center. Either way, it's going to be the most odd combination of satisfaction and sadness all at once.

Sure wish the recipe could've lived on somehow.
insane in tha membrane
truth
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby BGFan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:56 pm

The new place kept about as much of the Myles legacy alive as they can. The sauce is, obviously, different but close and the pie itself is identical down to the amount of toppings and cheese. If a Myles is a 10, the one we had the other day is a 9. Well worth a try for anyone who loved Myles.
BGFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby truth » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:10 pm

That is at least somewhat consoling to know. Thank you! I wondered what would happen when I saw Trotter's owners bought the place. Always loved eating there too, just less often could I afford it compared to a pizza at Myles. Glad they are keeping as much of it as they can together. Can't wait to check it out.
insane in tha membrane
truth
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby footballguy51 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:35 pm

The reviews I heard were much less exciting, so perhaps it's hit or miss (or was). When I first heard Trotter's bought it, I was hoping they would move their restaurant to there because of the increased seating.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:30 pm

BGFan wrote:The new place kept about as much of the Myles legacy alive as they can. The sauce is, obviously, different but close and the pie itself is identical down to the amount of toppings and cheese. If a Myles is a 10, the one we had the other day is a 9. Well worth a try for anyone who loved Myles.

We ate there the first Friday after they opened, so maybe they've worked out some kinks. On a scale of 0 to Myles, I'd probably give it a 7.5

Of course the original Myle's was NOT the most consistent product from visit to visit, so there is certainly some variance. Some of the differences are probably random some are just different.

My impressions:

The atmosphere was the same, beer selection similarly good.
Crust style was very similar, although texture seemed a bit different on this one.
Cheese still burnt on top, which is good.
Cheese bread was still burnt on top, but cheese inside the middle was not melted all the way. Also only 1 size now, which is between the size of the 2 original options.
Sauce was not nearly as rich/spicy. Knew they wouldn't nail the sauce, but I don't think they really tried. Not even close to the same sauce.
Our pie was pepperoni, mushrooms, and sausage. Impressions on those would be: FAR less pepperoni on this pie than an average Myles pizza, Sausage is now Italian with a notable fennel seed flavor (I actually prefer this style on pizza), mushrooms are canned and they DO NOT OFFER FRESH (This is among the biggest knocks i can bestow on a pizza place. The wife insists on pepperoni/shroom as her only pizza, and canned mushrooms are garbage). Canned mushrooms alone move it to an 8.5 if it nails every other aspect of Myle's pizza, IMO.

All in all it was still a very good pizza. It was a quality locally owned restaurant that I'll enjoy going to quite often. If it wasn't a "Myles replacement" it probably would have left me a better impression than it did. But still it's probably the 2nd best pizza in town (I had it Myles first, Pagliai's 2nd, but I think the changes here bump it below Pagliai's). I'll eat it frequently, but I think I'll find myself at the Pagliai's buffet more often.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby factman » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:34 pm

I agree with just about everything hammb said. My only difference is that I happen to prefer canned mushrooms over fresh on a pizza. I guess they should offer BOTH! :D
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:23 pm

factman wrote:I agree with just about everything hammb said. My only difference is that I happen to prefer canned mushrooms over fresh on a pizza. I guess they should offer BOTH! :D

Kinda like how Myle's did? ;)
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby factman » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:47 pm

Yep! :rolleyes:
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby kdog27 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:11 am