First SBX, now Myles

Most things go...some holds barred...say what's on your mind (to an extent).
Forum rules This forum is a "Free-for-all" type forum, but without all the freedom. ;-) Religious or political discussions will not be tolerated, nor will personal attacks. The forum will be policed offending posts will be removed, and offending posters will be warned and/or disciplined.

First SBX, now Myles

Postby gmartin » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:55 am

A few months ago SBX closed its doors. I found out about 2 weeks ago that Subway and Pita Pit will be closed by the end of year because its lease will not be renewed. Over the past few days rumors have speculated the Myle's Pizza will soon close. According to a spokesperson for Myle's it isn't closing anytime soon however that building which houses several businesses is up for sale. When the building is sold they new owners may not want Myle's. That corner will soon look pretty bare without SBX, Subway, Pita Pit and maybe Myle's. From the article in several papers it doesn't sound like Myle's will be there for more than a year.
gmartin
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: First SBX, now Myles

Postby It's the Journey... » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:41 pm

It sounds like the building is going to be redeveloped in the near future. I wonder if something similar to the building now housing Jimmy Johns.
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:00 pm

It's Greenbriar. He has been positioning to do this for years. It's just the beginning.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGDrew » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:13 pm

It's the Journey... wrote:It sounds like the building is going to be redeveloped in the near future. I wonder if something similar to the building now housing Jimmy Johns.

I've heard that's the exact plan. They want to re-develop the area to turn it into mixed development. That's really prime real estate so I don't blame Greenbriar for wanting to sell.
Check out our new BGSU hockey site: http://www.bgsuhockey.com
BGDrew
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:39 am

I'll believe that when I see it. Greenbriar has to take ownership and remove the remaining businesses first.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGDrew » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:44 pm

It's not hard to get a tenant out. Just raise rent enough at renewal that they won't want to re-up. That's why BW's left their downtown location.

It's been the worst kept secret in town Chip wants to retire. At this point it's just a matter of time.
Check out our new BGSU hockey site: http://www.bgsuhockey.com
BGDrew
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:43 pm

It's not hard at all. The exact reason you will see the entire block of tenants gone as soon as they expire. It's been positioned for years despite not owning the buildings. In the meantime, you will see vacant spots with the same telephone number listed all over town.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:05 am

And it's done. This week will be the end of a cultural icon. I equate Myle's pizza with Bowling Green more than anything. IT was the place we went for great pizza growing up in the area, and it has a more special place in my heart than anything at the University.

Chip can do what he wishes with his intellectual property but it saddens me greatly that he refuses to sell the business/recipes. SO sad...soooo soooo sad.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Warthog » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:12 am

hammb wrote:Chip can do what he wishes with his intellectual property but it saddens me greatly that he refuses to sell the business/recipes. SO sad...soooo soooo sad.

Agreed, that is where the value is.

http://www.sent-trib.com/multimedia/vid ... 5eb5d.html
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
- Ernest Hemingway
Warthog
Freak Wanna-be!!
Freak Wanna-be!!

Postby Flipper » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:31 pm

Loved the building..the pizza...sometimes the people. Loved telling the waitresses there the last 10 years or so that I'd be coming there longer than they were alive.

So sad
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby pdt1081 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:42 pm

hammb wrote:And it's done. This week will be the end of a cultural icon. I equate Myle's pizza with Bowling Green more than anything. IT was the place we went for great pizza growing up in the area, and it has a more special place in my heart than anything at the University.

Chip can do what he wishes with his intellectual property but it saddens me greatly that he refuses to sell the business/recipes. SO sad...soooo soooo sad.

With the way the sale was made, keeping the recipe allows for the possibility of his daughter reopening in a different building in the future.

There will not be a pizza place at that location. Rumor is Five Guys bought the building. Not sure what's going on with the liquor license.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby gmartin » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:04 pm

Five Guy's wanted to go over by the stadium in the strip mall but was turned away. Then Five Guys wanted to go on S. Main and for some reason decided against it. Then Applebee's was coming. The city said NO to Chick-fil-a in 2015. I'll believe Five Guys when it actually happens. Fwiw, Subway is not renewing it's lease at the end of the year either.
gmartin
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Critical Thinker » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:20 pm

gmartin wrote:The city said NO to Chick-fil-a in 2015.

The university also turned them down. There was a plan at one point in time to have one in the student union.
Critical Thinker
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby footballguy51 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:23 pm

Critical Thinker wrote:
gmartin wrote:The city said NO to Chick-fil-a in 2015.

The university also turned them down. There was a plan at one point in time to have one in the student union.

The University turned them down because the students protested the idea. They didn't want a company with their ideals being on campus. They felt it was inappropriate.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby gmartin » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:19 pm

The city also turned away Home Depot Distribution Center, Best Buy Distribution Center and Lowe's. They all went to Findlay area and striving.
gmartin
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to Mostly-Free-For-Many