Applebee's coming to BG

Most things go...some holds barred...say what's on your mind (to an extent).
Forum rules This forum is a "Free-for-all" type forum, but without all the freedom. ;-) Religious or political discussions will not be tolerated, nor will personal attacks. The forum will be policed offending posts will be removed, and offending posters will be warned and/or disciplined.

Re: Applebee's coming to BG

Postby hammb » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:47 am

It's the Journey... wrote:
I would like to see the local restaurants band together and put out a guide to local eating. That could be distributed to all on campus students when they move in. I think our locals will be fine as long as they get the word out.

This would be a very good idea. I was shocked when I started dating my wife (BG grad, 4 years living on campus) and she had never eaten at Mr. Spots or Myle's pizza. Her & her familiy were well versed in Pollyeye's breadsticks, but that was the only local eatery she had ever eaten at...that's sad.

Now she wants Mr. Spots all the time when we look to go out. The local restaurants could definitely benefit from teaming up to make their presence known.

I'm partially guilty now of not ever making it out to try local places like 2 Foxes and Sunset Bistro...so stuck with the guys that I've been eating for years.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby footballguy51 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:49 am

Wasn't there once a Chi Chi's? El Zarape moved into that building, correct?
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:57 am

footballguy51 wrote:Wasn't there once a Chi Chi's? El Zarape moved into that building, correct?

Correct.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby pdt1081 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:07 pm

What's going to hurt the downtown places to eat, is this will be a restaurant with dedicated parking spots. BWW's new building is what put Jed's out of business downtown. Similar menus, but with the new BWW building you can see the front door when you park.

Sure, there's good food downtown. But most people don't want to search for a parking spot, then walk half a mile or through a dark alley.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGFalconfromCincy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:12 pm

The only good thing about this will be no more letters to the editor in the Sent-Trib about the lack of crappy chain restaurants in town.
BGSU c/o 2009 & 2013

Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba, because that's how I roll
BGFalconfromCincy
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby apollo » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:31 pm

Applebee's wouldn't be my first choice, but a few more chain restaurants near 75 wouldn't hurt...BG needs to continue to improve enrollment...silly as it sounds this will help.
apollo
Peregrine
Peregrine

Are they coming or not?

Postby transfer2BGSU » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:14 pm

They pulled their variance request

http://bgindependentmedia.org/applebees ... est-in-bg/

Maybe they're just going to make the parking spaces smaller to get what they want :D
"The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back" -Herb Brooks
transfer2BGSU
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby gmartin » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:57 am

The Sentinel-Tribune also noted zoning request was pulled.
gmartin
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby gmartin » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:58 am

From a very reliable source, as well as from employees at Burger King and Home Depot, Applebee's was unable to secure a liquor license for the location on S. Main St. That's not surprising since it took the new Walmart over 5 years to get its liquor license.
gmartin
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:52 am

gmartin wrote:From a very reliable source, as well as from employees at Burger King and Home Depot, Applebee's was unable to secure a liquor license for the location on S. Main St. That's not surprising since it took the new Walmart over 5 years to get its liquor license.

That is great news. Whoever helped ensure they couldn't get a license should be applauded.

Do whatever it takes to keep that kinda of slop out of our city.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby gmartin » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:00 am

Hammb, I think this is only bad news for you. I think they will now look out towards I-75 for a restaurant location.
gmartin
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:05 pm

gmartin wrote:Hammb, I think this is only bad news for you. I think they will now look out towards I-75 for a restaurant location.

Hopefully they'll look out towards I-75 in beautiful Perrysburg, OH. They could so badly use a neighborhood cafe like Applebees up there.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Previous

Return to Mostly-Free-For-Many