Applebee's coming to BG

Most things go...some holds barred...say what's on your mind (to an extent).
Forum rules This forum is a "Free-for-all" type forum, but without all the freedom. ;-) Religious or political discussions will not be tolerated, nor will personal attacks. The forum will be policed offending posts will be removed, and offending posters will be warned and/or disciplined.

Applebee's coming to BG

Postby gmartin » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:27 pm

Only 2 words. About Time.
gmartin
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Applebee's coming to BG

Postby factman » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:07 pm

Applebee's is probably my least favorite of any of the possible food chains that fit in the "dinner" category. :cry:
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby gmartin » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:40 pm

It's still better than not having an Applebee's. Now if we can get Chick-fil-A
gmartin
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby footballguy51 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:03 am

I would take Chick-fil-A over Applebee's.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby gmartin » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:48 pm

Rumors were that Five Guy's were coming to BG Spring 2017. I wouldn't mind that either.
gmartin
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:59 pm

This is awful terrible news. I will do whatever is in my power to stop this from happening. My understanding from the first article I read was that they needed a zoning issue resolved by the city to get their parking lot where they wanted it. I hope to god our city does what they've always done: Block these shithole chains from invading our city and ruining what is a remarkably good local restaurant scene for the size of the town.

For the life of me I cannot fathom how anybody would be happy about this move. God awful food at god awful prices, and oh by the way these sorts of chains can destroy 3-4 good quality local restaurants in one swoop. Ugh...I hope they burn down before they get open.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby footballguy51 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:04 pm

hammb wrote:This is awful terrible news. I will do whatever is in my power to stop this from happening. My understanding from the first article I read was that they needed a zoning issue resolved by the city to get their parking lot where they wanted it. I hope to god our city does what they've always done: Block these shithole chains from invading our city and ruining what is a remarkably good local restaurant scene for the size of the town.

For the life of me I cannot fathom how anybody would be happy about this move. God awful food at god awful prices, and oh by the way these sorts of chains can destroy 3-4 good quality local restaurants in one swoop. Ugh...I hope they burn down before they get open.

One solution would be for people to not go there and continue to support the local places. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people that will want to go there because it's a chain and they therefore will know what they are getting. Given that the public will patronize this establishment, I believe it goes to show that the citizens of BG want this place and the city should act to ensure this becomes a reality. I personally feel the same way you do about this. The food is good, but I love the small eateries in town. I will continue to go downtown and eat at those places, even if Applebee's comes to town.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:18 pm

footballguy51 wrote:
hammb wrote:This is awful terrible news. I will do whatever is in my power to stop this from happening. My understanding from the first article I read was that they needed a zoning issue resolved by the city to get their parking lot where they wanted it. I hope to god our city does what they've always done: Block these shithole chains from invading our city and ruining what is a remarkably good local restaurant scene for the size of the town.

One solution would be for people to not go there and continue to support the local places. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people that will want to go there because it's a chain and they therefore will know what they are getting. Given that the public will patronize this establishment, I believe it goes to show that the citizens of BG want this place and the city should act to ensure this becomes a reality. I personally feel the same way you do about this. The food is good, but I love the small eateries in town. I will continue to go downtown and eat at those places, even if Applebee's comes to town.

I don't think the people of BG want this at all. They've done a fantastic job blocking chain shitholes like Applebees for decades.

Their business will come from the soccer families, baseball families, and university families visiting from out of town. Families that will go to crapplebees because they've heard of it and know it. People that in the past have found Myle's Pizza, pollyeye's pizza, Reverend's, Easy street, and all the other great local eateries. Most of whom have enjoyed these places far more than you could ever enjoy the microwaved slop slapped on your plate in places like Applebees.

Chain restaurants are the devil, and anybody in town that supports adding something like this to the city doesn't understand what they're doing. I, for one, will be praying for fire.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby gmartin » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:31 pm

I'm actually looking at this from a different perspective. I think having a chain or chain of restaurants will keep travelers staying in BG. When people out of town book hotels for sporting events, concerts, tractor pulls or just stopping to rest many people look to see what restaurants we have. The locals and people around this area know the good local restaurants. (Samby's, Trotters, Reverends, Stones Throw, Call of Canyon, Myles and Polleyes, etc.) However people coming from out of town want a restaurant they are familiar with. I think it's about time we have one. Do I think Applebee's will be successful. Nope, not like they think they will he. Especially at the location they are looking at, South Main by Home Depot. Do I think Five Guy's or Chick-fil-A will be successful. Yes. I feel the locals will still favor our local places they have gone to for decades but I still think I chain restaurant will help keep travelers from staying in Findlay or Perrysburg. And by the way, the Sunset Bistro on West Wooster is pricey but good food and service.
gmartin
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:00 pm

Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby hammb » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:11 am

gmartin wrote:I'm actually looking at this from a different perspective. I think having a chain or chain of restaurants will keep travelers staying in BG. When people out of town book hotels for sporting events, concerts, tractor pulls or just stopping to rest many people look to see what restaurants we have. The locals and people around this area know the good local restaurants. (Samby's, Trotters, Reverends, Stones Throw, Call of Canyon, Myles and Polleyes, etc.) However people coming from out of town want a restaurant they are familiar with. I think it's about time we have one. Do I think Applebee's will be successful. Nope, not like they think they will he. Especially at the location they are looking at, South Main by Home Depot. Do I think Five Guy's or Chick-fil-A will be successful. Yes. I feel the locals will still favor our local places they have gone to for decades but I still think I chain restaurant will help keep travelers from staying in Findlay or Perrysburg. And by the way, the Sunset Bistro on West Wooster is pricey but good food and service.

Heard good things about Sunset Bistro. Need to try it out, but with the little one we don't go out nearly as often as we used to.

As for the rest of your post, I just don't know that the problem you're hoping to solve is a real problem. When we have activities in BG (which seems to be every other weekend in the summer) you cannot find a hotel room. When we were planning our wedding we waited until 2 months before calling hotels and by the time we did every hotel was already booked for the weekend except for the Falcon Plaza, which we stayed in and it was perfectly acceptable. I think there was a travel baseball tournament at Carter that weekend.

To me we have very little hotel space as is (probably too little for having a D1 university here), and those hotels are already near capacity anytime an important event happens in town. I don't disagree that having a chain restaurant or two nearby would help out of towners feel comfortable staying in town. Where I disagree is whether or not this is a real problem.

I would never eat at a chain like Applebee's. In fact Applebees is near Olive Garden as the absolute worst restaurants of all time. They're not going to steal a single one of my pennies away from local eateries. But, I do fear that they will steal a lot of out of towner dollars from the local eateries. Will a single Applebees do enough damage to drive mainstays like Pollyeye's/Myles out of business? No, most certainly not. But they can certainly make a noticeable dent in the revenues of these places. And they could also do enough damage to drive new upstarts that don't have a following yet (Sunset, 2 foxes, etc) out of business.

If even one single solitary local restaurant folds because of the presence of Applebees I look at it as a bad thing for the community. Firstly, the residents would be losing what is undoubtedly a better food option than Applebees. Secondly, most of our local restaurants support the hell out of local businesses. So many are sourcing meats from Tanks/Belleville's/Frobose. Those meat markets are getting a lot of their meat from local farmers, etc, etc. The only economic impact Applebees will have is the salaries of their own workers, and maybe some extra hotel revenue if you truly think that's an issue.

Chain restaurants spawn more chain restaurants. We've done a great job keeping most chains out of our city. BWW has been here before it was a national name, but we don't have any other chain sit down restaurants, and it's worked out very well. I worry that adding an Applebees will lead to adding an Olive Garden will lead to adding a Chiles, and before you know it you have completely destroyed every locally owned restaurant in BG. It took a LONG time for Toledo to catch BG in number of quality local eateries, it was a chain restaurant hell. Columbus has some good local eats but you have to search for it, it's also a chain restaurant hell. I don't want BG to become that.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Lord_Byron » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:26 am

hammb wrote: Chain restaurants are the devil, and anybody in town that supports adding something like this to the city doesn't understand what they're doing. I, for one, will be praying for fire.

You are the wind beneath my wings.
BG '79

Twitter: @Vapid_Inanities
Lord_Byron
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks

Postby Roll Along! » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:06 am

We have two Big Boys, Bob Evans, Frickers (not national, but regional chain), Waffle House, Pizza Hut, BWW already off the top of my head.

To say the city has kept chain sit-down establishments out of town is stretching it a bit.
Roll Along!
Egg
Egg

Postby It's the Journey... » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:28 am

Let's not forget the McDonald's, Burger Kings, Wendy's, and more Subways than you can shake a stick at........

While I am not thrilled about Applebee's coming to town I also don't think the sky is falling. Negatives have been stated before. To the positive, this is more tax money this is staying in town. College students look for familiar when their families come in to visit, and that means trips up and down I75 to those same chain restaurants. An increase in tax revenue isn't a bad thing.

I would like to see the local restaurants band together and put out a guide to local eating. That could be distributed to all on campus students when they move in. I think our locals will be fine as long as they get the word out.
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:42 am

Roll Along! wrote:We have two Big Boys, Bob Evans, Frickers (not national, but regional chain), Waffle House, Pizza Hut, BWW already off the top of my head.

To say the city has kept chain sit-down establishments out of town is stretching it a bit.

I consider Big Boy and Bob Evans regional chains. Neither are close in footprint or restaurant count to something like Applebees. BWW definitely is comparable to Applebees but we had it way before it was that type of chain, not sure if that matters or not. Pizza Hut is comparable, but I don't really think Waffle House is...could be wrong but couldn't imagine many people packing up the family for a Waffle House dinner after playing Soccer all day...dunno I'm sure it happens but I wouldn't see them as direct competition to the existing restaurants.

The bulk of these chains that we have in town have been here a LONG time. I've been around BG for the past 25-30 years or so and I cannot remember a time prior to Bob Evans, Big Boy, Frickers, Pizza Hut, etc. The Waffle House is relatively new at, probably close to 10 years now.

Applebees, Olive Garden, Chile's, etc are a different breed of corporate chain restaurant that we largely don't have. They microwave/steam heat a bulk of their slop. They have large footprints with large seating capacity, their "cooking" method allows them to turn tables over much quicker than any restaurant that actually cooks and prepares food. A single Applebees, operating at capacity can probably turn over more tables than Reverend's Easy Street, City Tap, and Stones throw combined.

One of these restaurants is probably not going to kill many local eateries off, but I definitely think the local owners will see a hit in their business. Especially during weekend events in town. The city can only sustain so many seats of out to eat dining and an Applebees seating 200 people takes up a LOT of those seats. Seats that could have been spread out among several worthwhile local eateries.

In the end I have no ability to prevent this from happening. I just see it as bad for the city, especially the restaurant scene in particular.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Next

Return to Mostly-Free-For-Many