The end is near....

Most things go...some holds barred...say what's on your mind (to an extent).
Forum rules This forum is a "Free-for-all" type forum, but without all the freedom. ;-) Religious or political discussions will not be tolerated, nor will personal attacks. The forum will be policed offending posts will be removed, and offending posters will be warned and/or disciplined.

The end is near....

Postby transfer2BGSU » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:51 pm

First the Corner Grill catches on fire and is closed for three months (or so they say).... #-o

Now it appears the Chinese buffet on E. Wooster St. has gone out of business. :cry:
"The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back" -Herb Brooks
transfer2BGSU
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: The end is near....

Postby hammb » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:38 pm

transfer2BGSU wrote:First the Corner Grill catches on fire and is closed for three months (or so they say).... #-o

Now it appears the Chinese buffet on E. Wooster St. has gone out of business. :cry:

The one back behind el zarape? That place awful. For that matter the other 2 aren't much better. How did this town support 3 lousy Chinese buffets?
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby footballguy51 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:44 am

hammb wrote:
transfer2BGSU wrote:First the Corner Grill catches on fire and is closed for three months (or so they say).... #-o

The one back behind el zarape? That place awful. For that matter the other 2 aren't much better. How did this town support 3 lousy Chinese buffets?

Drunk kids.

So wait, Hunan went out?
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Dayons_Den » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:17 am

SBX closes it's doors immediately. Absolutely awful news.

http://www.sent-trib.com/news/student-b ... ad9b0.html
all bowling green
Dayons_Den
aka Joe Bair's Lair
aka Joe Bair's Lair

Postby hammb » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:10 am

Dayons_Den wrote:SBX closes it's doors immediately. Absolutely awful news.

I KNOW!!! My wife just showed me the article in the Sentinel! I'm so freaking bummed, I don't even know what to say. SBX is the ONLY place I bought BG gear. Their selection makes the university bookstore stuff look like an embarrassment. So much awesome Under Armour, Nike, etc. gear that the University bookstore took forever to even start stocking.

Not to mention the countless other knicknacks. Ornaments, glasses, coffee cups, jewelry, etc. I'm damned upset to hear this news.

Other than some of the local eateries there isn't a locally owned business in BG that I'm more upset at losing. This is awful...
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Flipper » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:14 am

I would hope that someone would fill the merch void with a smaller scale outlet somewhere in town. The U bookstore stock pales in comparison and it isn't a very convenient place to shop
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Falcon Fanatic » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:08 pm

hammb wrote:

I KNOW!!! My wife just showed me the article in the Sentinel! I'm so freaking bummed, I don't even know what to say. SBX is the ONLY place I bought BG gear. Their selection makes the university bookstore stuff look like an embarrassment. So much awesome Under Armour, Nike, etc. gear that the University bookstore took forever to even start stocking.

Not to mention the countless other knicknacks. Ornaments, glasses, coffee cups, jewelry, etc. I'm damned upset to hear this news.

Other than some of the local eateries there isn't a locally owned business in BG that I'm more upset at losing. This is awful...

Exactly how I feel. It felt like a punch in the gut when I saw the news this morning; like I'd lost an old friend. Cannot say enough good things about the manager, Kent Kokomoor. He is such a great guy. We'd talk BG Hockey every time I was in there, which was pretty often! I am secretly hoping that he can open another BG merchandise store in town!! [-o<
"Regarding BGSU, I would think their biggest strength is that they never give up, They never slow down and they battle hard even after the other team scores. We have to be on our game and never, ever take the foot off the gas for a second."
~~USCHO Poster
"BG was relentless. It's like they know that a good first pass on the breakout from a defenseman will almost always result in an odd-man rush against them - but they go in anyway and dare you to make that pass. All three of their goals were just grit and effort. That's a team any fan can be proud to support...they give all they've got."
~~USCHO Poster, AFTER Tech beat us
#NeverGiveUp
#NeverSurrender
#Relentless
#Resiliant
Falcon Fanatic
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:14 am

Falcon Fanatic wrote:
hammb wrote:

Exactly how I feel. It felt like a punch in the gut when I saw the news this morning; like I'd lost an old friend. Cannot say enough good things about the manager, Kent Kokomoor. He is such a great guy. We'd talk BG Hockey every time I was in there, which was pretty often! I am secretly hoping that he can open another BG merchandise store in town!! [-o<

I'm hoping so too. I think the recent apparel and accessories sales data they mentioned shows there is a market for it.

The issue will be finding a space with large enough footprint to offer the selection that made sbx so awesome, but having it be affordable enough to be profitable without the book sales end to subsidize it.

I have to imagine the rent in their current location is quite high. That's pretty prime space for students and also easily accessible for anybody else.

Moving it further from campus would likely reduce rent, but sales right with it.. I wonder what the cost would look like if they could have reduced the footprint back to the old setup before taking over the corner unit. Getting rid of the book stuff would make that plenty of real estate...

I dunno I'm really bummed about it... Hope he, or somebody else, can find an adequate way to fill that huge void.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Lord_Byron » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:49 pm

This sounds like a real estate play to me. Some wants the site and made an offer too valuable to refuse.
BG '79

Twitter: @Vapid_Inanities
Lord_Byron
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks

Postby HoopsFan » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:42 am

Yeah, the sad part is the muni lot behind the building. The old dairy property, on the corner of Ridge and Thurstin, probably is still sitting empty, and it's closer to the heart of campus with MacDonald and Offenhaur and Falcon Heights, but there's no parking.

All most all of my Falcon game gear came from SBX and it was always fun to slip in grab some stuff before tournaments. Sadly, I haven't been there for years :-(

In an earlier thread, I try to never eat at a buffet in BG. The "only" time I went to the King Buffet, I got deathly ill and missed a Men's game with Kent St. Green peppers don't taste so good coming back up. I stick to the one on Glendale Avenue and Napoleon OH next to the Wal Marts for Chinese or the Magic Wok where the food I order is cooked to order. As a matter of course, once you see the kitchen at some places, you'll never want to eat anything there.

HoopsFan
HoopsFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Location: I can see the lights of the Football field from here

Postby Lord_Byron » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:26 am

Your post reminded me of the Oatmeal:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/asian_food
BG '79

Twitter: @Vapid_Inanities
Lord_Byron
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks

Postby gmartin » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:25 pm

SBX Liquidation/Going out of Business Sale is this weekend only. Thursday - Sunday. 4 days only. 12-6 each day.
gmartin
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falcon Fanatic » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:34 pm

gmartin wrote:SBX Liquidation/Going out of Business Sale is this weekend only. Thursday - Sunday. 4 days only. 12-6 each day.

:cry:
"Regarding BGSU, I would think their biggest strength is that they never give up, They never slow down and they battle hard even after the other team scores. We have to be on our game and never, ever take the foot off the gas for a second."
~~USCHO Poster
"BG was relentless. It's like they know that a good first pass on the breakout from a defenseman will almost always result in an odd-man rush against them - but they go in anyway and dare you to make that pass. All three of their goals were just grit and effort. That's a team any fan can be proud to support...they give all they've got."
~~USCHO Poster, AFTER Tech beat us
#NeverGiveUp
#NeverSurrender
#Relentless
#Resiliant
Falcon Fanatic
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby HoopsFan » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:48 am

I had to work both Thursday and Friday from Noon to 6, but I thought I'd slip in today and see what was left at SBX. Big mistake :-) The place was packed with buyers standing about 20 deep at ALL registers. Parking was a zoo and the merchandise was pretty picked over. If I wore a Medium, then I could have made some great buys, but I don't think I've worn that since high school!

Later I talked to someone who actually was in the neighborhood on Thursday. It was jam-packed then. Meanwhile, on campus, what's going on at the corner of Thurstin and Ridge? Is there something planned for the space where the sororities were?

HoopsFan
HoopsFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Location: I can see the lights of the Football field from here

Corner of Ridge and Thurston

Postby transfer2BGSU » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:54 pm

There is an addition to the union planned that is not an addition to the union.

They are also going to reconfigure the parking for the union. They are going to have 4 parking lots (pods) with a certain number of parking spaces in each pod. Then when someone reserves the Ballroom or Multipurpose Room, they can have their attendees park in one or two of the pods, and there is still space available for others who need to park near the union for shorter periods of time.
"The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back" -Herb Brooks
transfer2BGSU
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to Mostly-Free-For-Many