I cannot wait for basketball season...

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

I cannot wait for basketball season...

Postby BleedOrange » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:07 pm

This completes what might be the best, deepest BG roster in several decades.

https://bgsufalcons.com/news/2020/8/31/ ... oster.aspx
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Re: I cannot wait for basketball season...

Postby Siborg » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:44 am

It will be interesting to see what they do for the point guard position. Will it be Justin Turner with Metheny backing him up? Do we use Fields, Fulcher or Ziegler?
Siborg
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby mbenecke » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:53 am

Siborg wrote:It will be interesting to see what they do for the point guard position. Will it be Justin Turner with Metheny backing him up? Do we use Fields, Fulcher or Ziegler?

I love that we're in a position where we can ask this question. Our guard play has developed tremendously since my freshman year in 2016-2017, when we only really had Ish Ali and a bunch of freshmen (Dylan Frye and Rod Caldwell).

We've come a long way as a program, in terms of quality depth.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:52 am

Siborg wrote:It will be interesting to see what they do for the point guard position. Will it be Justin Turner with Metheny backing him up? Do we use Fields, Fulcher or Ziegler?

I think Turner will get a shot at being the main PG with Ziegler and Metheny playing from time to time. Turner is trying to be a legit NBA prospect and he would need to play point at that level, and I think Huger wants to get him there, too. All guesses, obviously, just my take.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BleedOrange » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:56 pm

I'm thinking our starters will be....

PG Zeigler 6-3
2G JTurner 6-4
SF Plowden 6-6
PF Kula 6-9
C Washington 6-8

Next 5....

Methany 5-11
Fields 6-2
Diggs 6-6
Young 6-8
Gadsen 6-10

I see Fulcher and CTurner in the rotation as well.

Last year I actually expected Elsass to crack the rotation here and there. However, this year we have so much depth at his position I don't see it happening.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby footballguy51 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:46 pm

BleedOrange wrote:I'm thinking our starters will be....

PG Zeigler 6-3
2G JTurner 6-4
SF Plowden 6-6
PF Kula 6-9
C Washington 6-8

Next 5....

Methany 5-11
Fields 6-2
Diggs 6-6
Young 6-8
Gadsen 6-10

Last year I actually expected Elsass to crack the rotation here and there. However, this year we have so much depth at his position I don't see it happening.

I noticed you omitted Swingle and Watson. Watson is new so he will probably be a bench guy this year, but Swingle played modest minutes last year. I'm just curious why you left him out. I personally feel that his footwork was so bad last year that he was a hindrance to what we were trying to do, so unless he drastically improved over the past year in that area it wouldn't surprise me to see him out of the rotation.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:05 am

Swingle has a lot of room to improve from what he provided last year, but I cannot fathom how he'd fall behind Gadsen in the rotation. And unless Huger has finally come to his senses with regards to his insistence on "true Centers" on the court most of the time, one of them (at least ) will be getting major minutes. My money is on Swingle. He at least had stretches where he looked like a competent basketball player (but yeah, his footwork and conditioning were so awful he was a major liability).

Gadsen looks like the prototypical basketball player, but then when I see him on the court he looks like the guy that somebody plucked out of some faraway land and said, "You're gonna play hoops now because of your size." Seriously looks as though he's never actually played the game.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby BleedOrange » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:37 am

footballguy51 wrote:

PG Zeigler 6-3
2G JTurner 6-4
SF Plowden 6-6
PF Kula 6-9
C Washington 6-8

Next 5....

Methany 5-11
Fields 6-2
Diggs 6-6
Young 6-8
Gadsen 6-10

I noticed you omitted Swingle and Watson. Watson is new so he will probably be a bench guy this year, but Swingle played modest minutes last year. I'm just curious why you left him out. I personally feel that his footwork was so bad last year that he was a hindrance to what we were trying to do, so unless he drastically improved over the past year in that area it wouldn't surprise me to see him out of the rotation.

It hurts me to say this, but I just don't see Swingle as a viable D1 player. I hope I'm wrong.

My exposure to Gadsen is limited, but from what I have seen, he moves well and gets off the floor. He shows aggressiveness and strength.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby BPardonMyTake » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:33 am

Swingle has to cut some weight hands down no questions asked. I always thought he tried to do too much when he did get minutes last year. Comes in, gets two quick fouls trying to be too aggressive, then sits and doesn't see the court the rest of the game. I think with more peace of mind knowing he will at least see consistent playing time, he will get better and let the game come to him. He can finish with both hands and the one question this season is front court depth, he'll get his chance.

Hard to say a kid that was recruited by WVU isn't D1 worthy. At the very least, there's no way he is /was worse than Mattos.

Great call starting this thread. WVU game has been on my mind since it was announced as I'm only about an hour from Morgantown. Longshot to be able to see it in person, but my interest is now peaked again!
Class of '15. Former Townie---Come from a long line of Falcons.
BPardonMyTake
Egg
Egg

Postby Globetrotter » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:53 pm

PG Zeigler 6-3
2G JTurner 6-4
SF Plowden 6-6
PF Kula 6-9
C Washington 6-8

Next 5....

Methany 5-11
Fields 6-2
Diggs 6-6
Young 6-8
Gadsen 6-10

I think it will be

PG Methany 5-11--Zeigler 6-3
2G JTurner 6-4--Fields 6-2--Fulcher 6-1
SF Diggs 6-6--Turner 6-9--Young 6-8
PF Plowden 6-6--Kula 6-9
C Swingle 6-11--Gadsen 6-10--Washington 6-8
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby BleedOrange » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:56 pm

BPardonMyTake wrote:Swingle has to cut some weight hands down no questions asked. I always thought he tried to do too much when he did get minutes last year. Comes in, gets two quick fouls trying to be too aggressive, then sits and doesn't see the court the rest of the game. I think with more peace of mind knowing he will at least see consistent playing time, he will get better and let the game come to him. He can finish with both hands and the one question this season is front court depth, he'll get his chance.

Hard to say a kid that was recruited by WVU isn't D1 worthy. At the very least, there's no way he is /was worse than Mattos.

Great call starting this thread. WVU game has been on my mind since it was announced as I'm only about an hour from Morgantown. Longshot to be able to see it in person, but my interest is now peaked again!

Swingle did appear to be press hard when in the game. It's just that I didn't see footwork, hands, or any rebounding instinct. Also, I don't know if he'll any low post offense against decent D1 post defenders. Being recruited by WVU doesn't say much at this point - high school scouting reports go out the window once a kid plays a year in D1. Hopefully, he can parlay his size into awesome strength and also practice his footwork in the low post. If he could maintain a playing weight of 265 I think it would make a big difference.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby BleedOrange » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:03 pm

Globetrotter wrote:

PG Zeigler 6-3
2G JTurner 6-4
SF Plowden 6-6
PF Kula 6-9
C Washington 6-8

Next 5....

Methany 5-11
Fields 6-2
Diggs 6-6
Young 6-8
Gadsen 6-10

I think it will be

PG Methany 5-11--Zeigler 6-3
2G JTurner 6-4--Fields 6-2--Fulcher 6-1
SF Diggs 6-6--Turner 6-9--Young 6-8
PF Plowden 6-6--Kula 6-9
C Swingle 6-11--Gadsen 6-10--Washington 6-8

I see Zeigler quickly developing into a star MAC player. He may be the most physically blessed guy on the roster. I think Kula could be a MAC star as well.

Washington averaged 7.8 rebounds per game while playing about 22 minutes per game. That's very impressive and cannot be taught. If you watch his video, you see that he has a good floor game and a nice stroke from 3.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby BleedOrange » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:41 pm

A key for this season's success, in my opinion, is improved ball distribution in the half-court. Too often, scoring was centered around JTurner and one other player, whoever was on that day. This allowed defenses to key on Turner, and the lack of chemistry in half court sets was painful. Note the numerous times we went long stretches with NO scoring, letting the opposition back into a game. While I think our off-the-ball movement is decent, our passing game needs to get a lot better. This means better timed cuts and passes. This means no more of JTurner pounding on the floor with the basketball.

We have the depth and talent to have 4 or 5 guys average in double figures. I expect Deaquon Plowden to emerge as a 1st team all-MAC talent with better ball-handling, shooting rhythm, and upper body strength. Kula and Zeigler didn't stuff the stat sheets, but I expect them both to emerge as prominant MAC players....depending on how well the team improves its passing and ball distribution. I see Washington being an 8p, 5r guy who defend the post.

It's difficult to speculate on freshman. I do think that Methany will be an instant rotation player. Young and Fulcher are both borderline 3-star recruits, but the face tough veteran competition at their positions.

I haven't heard anything definitive about JTurner switching to PG. I'm not sure that it's the best move for the team or necessarily for JTurner himself. I don't believe JTurner playing PG necessarily needs to play PG this year to be drafted, not do I think he SHOULD play PG just bc it maximizes hit NBA draftibility. This decision needs to be for the best of the entire team (...as if I had anything to say about it).

$.02
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby Flipper » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:32 pm

BleedOrange wrote:
BPardonMyTake wrote:Swingle has to cut some weight hands down no questions asked. I always thought he tried to do too much when he did get minutes last year. Comes in, gets two quick fouls trying to be too aggressive, then sits and doesn't see the court the rest of the game. I think with more peace of mind knowing he will at least see consistent playing time, he will get better and let the game come to him. He can finish with both hands and the one question this season is front court depth, he'll get his chance.

Swingle did appear to be press hard when in the game. It's just that I didn't see footwork, hands, or any rebounding instinct. Also, I don't know if he'll any low post offense against decent D1 post defenders. Being recruited by WVU doesn't say much at this point - high school scouting reports go out the window once a kid plays a year in D1. Hopefully, he can parlay his size into awesome strength and also practice his footwork in the low post. If he could maintain a playing weight of 265 I think it would make a big difference.

Playing the low post is a bit like being a CB in football...you have to be fluid in your hips and your feet. Tough to do that carrying 30 lbs of lard around your middle.
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby BPardonMyTake » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:37 am

BleedOrange wrote:

Fair point. Guess i mean more what his ceiling could be here at BG in terms of the potential a P5 scout and well respected coach in Huggins saw. I also don't close my eyes when he gets the ball on the block like I did with Mattos, which I suppose isn't saying much.
Class of '15. Former Townie---Come from a long line of Falcons.
BPardonMyTake
Egg
Egg

Next

Return to Men's Hoops