Steve Wright joins coaching staff

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Steve Wright joins coaching staff

Postby Matty B » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:45 pm

Former falcon point guard Steve Wright joins the coachin staff. Welcome home, Steve!

https://bgsufalcons.com/news/2020/6/4/f ... coach.aspx
LONG LIVE THE MONGOOSE!!
Matty B
Chick
Chick

Re: Steve Wright joins coaching staff

Postby OptionQB » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:06 pm

With Hammb as my witness, this is the shot(tweet) I called (sent to Coach Huger) the same day I read that Coach Summey was leaving
OptionQB
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Globetrotter » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:39 pm

OptionQB wrote:With Hammb as my witness, this is the shot(tweet) I called (sent to Coach Huger) the same day I read that Coach Summey was leaving

it's an interesting one. There are a handful of bigmen that were offered by CSU that are still out there. None that look any better than what we have. Maybe the most likely is a guy from Columbus who was at Columbus State too. Hes more of a 3-4 than a 5 but hes 6-7, averaged 16.8pts 8.5rebounds,
hes a nice athlete. Would have 3 years. Shot 40% from 3 55% from 2 last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS2RhMyyJEw

There are a bunch of bigs cleveland state still has offers out for.
http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/cleveland-state
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby HoopsFan » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:08 am

Now I'm going to spend a sleepless night trying to remember an incident involving Steve. He left BG under a cloud, thanks to DD or something on the team. I talked to somebody who was familiar with the story about 4 or 5 years ago, right after Jans was fired.

Apparently Wright was involved in some BS violation of team rules and the rest of the team wouldn't support him. (not to be confused with one who robbed a carryout or a glove box full of marijuana). I think the person I talked to was either an in-law or friend of an in-law or something. The guy I talked to was in the construction trades and it bugs me that it's the only thing I can remember. Maybe it was Steve's college girlfriend or whatever. It seemed to me that it colored BG's recruiting of Cincy high school player(s).

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what our coaches can do in recruiting going forward. I hope Wright proves that he should have been here earlier.

Does anyone remember?

HoopsFan
HoopsFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Location: I can see the lights of the Football field from here

Postby BGSU33 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:45 am

HoopsFan wrote:Now I'm going to spend a sleepless night trying to remember an incident involving Steve. He left BG under a cloud, thanks to DD or something on the team. I talked to somebody who was familiar with the story about 4 or 5 years ago, right after Jans was fired.

Apparently Wright was involved in some BS violation of team rules and the rest of the team wouldn't support him. (not to be confused with one who robbed a carryout or a glove box full of marijuana). I think the person I talked to was either an in-law or friend of an in-law or something. The guy I talked to was in the construction trades and it bugs me that it's the only thing I can remember. Maybe it was Steve's college girlfriend or whatever. It seemed to me that it colored BG's recruiting of Cincy high school player(s).

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what our coaches can do in recruiting going forward. I hope Wright proves that he should have been here earlier.

Does anyone remember?

HoopsFan

I remember Wright leaving, it was a blow to the team and it was disappointing to see happen (especially because I believe it happened during the season if I remember correctly), but I do not know any of the details behind his departure. Mainly because, as much as I liked DD in some ways, I also couldn't stand the mass defections of players we had during his post-WVU tenure either. We had so many players leaving that it became the norm for guys to go and the exception for them to stay. Whatever it was, things clearly weren't working when DD came back and eventually, BG and DD parted ways. The staff now certainly isn't lacking of former BG players.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:22 pm

My wife, daughter and I sat next to Steven's mom once during a MAC tournament game. Nice lady...

My wife and I also sat next to Rob Van Dam's parents at an ECW show in Toledo back in 99/2000. They were very nice..his mom had a small dog on her lap and told us hoe RVD got in trouble as a kid for doing backflips off the roof of the school.

Yeah...I used to go to wrestling shows...don't judge
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby BleedOrange » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:39 pm

Steven Wright left with only his senior year remaining. He came in with Ron Lewis and Raheem Moss, so was part of a great recruiting class. Lewis left, and DD wouldn't let Moss off the bench despite being very shorthanded in those days. Wright himself, in my opinion, had far more talent than he had a chance to show while under DD. Nice to see Wright prevail in basketball.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Return to Men's Hoops