Groce & Jans both interview at ETSU

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Groce & Jans both interview at ETSU

Postby guest44 » Tue May 05, 2020 2:46 pm

A pretty good indicator of where Akron athletics stand financially as Groce has interviewed at East Tennessee St., with 20% cuts expected to be announced next week. Jans in the mix too.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Groce & Jans both interview at ETSU

Postby BleedOrange » Tue May 05, 2020 3:45 pm

In normal times, that's a step down for either.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby drumstix2388 » Tue May 05, 2020 3:55 pm

BleedOrange wrote:In normal times, that's a step down for either.

You’d be surprised. They have massive fan support and Forbes was making like $650k there. That has to be a step up from most of the MAC schools.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGFalconfromCincy » Wed May 06, 2020 7:52 am

I don't know what Jans is making at New Mexico State, but the WAC is a Division 1 wasteland. ETSU and the Southern Conference has to be a step up from a bunch of schools that either no other conference wanted, or are recent D1 move ups
BGSU c/o 2009 & 2013

Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba, because that's how I roll
BGFalconfromCincy
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Matty B » Wed May 06, 2020 3:02 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:
BleedOrange wrote:In normal times, that's a step down for either.

You’d be surprised. They have massive fan support and Forbes was making like $650k there. That has to be a step up from most of the MAC schools.

Those schools that dont have FBS football teams tend to have a bigger basketball budget. An example we might recognize is Jim Larranaga leaving us for George Mason.
LONG LIVE THE MONGOOSE!!
Matty B
Chick
Chick

Postby BleedOrange » Wed May 06, 2020 7:56 pm

Alright, who wants to ditch D1A in football? I've wanted to for years. MAC football has sucked since the Rothlesberger era. Fan support for MAC football across the board is weak. I'd rather do basketball well than be average in BBall and a farce in FBall. $.02. I know everyone else will have super strong opinions, so go ahead and let me have it.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby BGFalconfromCincy » Thu May 07, 2020 8:45 am

Reports are ETSU is hiring from within so Groce and Jans will remain at their current jobs
BGSU c/o 2009 & 2013

Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba, because that's how I roll
BGFalconfromCincy
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Thu May 07, 2020 10:21 am

BleedOrange wrote:Alright, who wants to ditch D1A in football? I've wanted to for years. MAC football has sucked since the Rothlesberger era. Fan support for MAC football across the board is weak. I'd rather do basketball well than be average in BBall and a farce in FBall. $.02. I know everyone else will have super strong opinions, so go ahead and let me have it.

I've held a similar opinion for quite some time...not because I want to see us drop down in football or anything else but because at some point we are going to have to make that move. The costs are too great, the revenue isn't there to justify the expense and the student population doesn't seem to care one way or the other (they don't show up for many games) so it's hard to justify taking even more money from them.
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby FalconTurf » Thu May 07, 2020 11:25 am

BleedOrange wrote:Alright, who wants to ditch D1A in football? I've wanted to for years. MAC football has sucked since the Rothlesberger era. Fan support for MAC football across the board is weak. I'd rather do basketball well than be average in BBall and a farce in FBall. $.02. I know everyone else will have super strong opinions, so go ahead and let me have it.

Question - What is the escape plan?
Going D1-AA (FCS) is only slight savings unless you go with Butler and friends no scholarships option lots of good basketball schools in their conference).
Drop it completely leaving the remnants of an extinct culture sitting by I-75.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Thu May 07, 2020 4:14 pm

IIRC...you could take evrything down to DII or III except one men's sport and one women's. The debate would be does basketball get to stay or hockey? Women's basketball would be the obvious choice.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby factman » Thu May 07, 2020 8:29 pm

It would take our current budget to be competitive in FCS as our budget and North Dakota States budget are similar now, from what I understand.
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Thu May 07, 2020 8:36 pm

Flipper wrote:IIRC...you could take evrything down to DII or III except one men's sport and one women's. The debate would be does basketball get to stay or hockey? Women's basketball would be the obvious choice.

Sadly it would almost have to be hockey that gets to stay D1, which would really suck for us hoops fans.

I'm all for getting out of the football game, entirely. I don't see how you save all that much money dropping to the championship subdivision. Still expensive, and even LESS revenue to justify it. The bottom line is that MAC football needs to go the way of the dodo. There aren't any fans and it's a drain on everything. If you jettison football entirely the rest of our athletics would be perfectly in place in D1; heck they'd probably be better situated if not for the boat anchor of football.

I've been on board for awhile now, and it really has pained me to take that stance. MAC football was always my favorite collegiate sport when I was in school and in the years immediately after. It was tailgating at BG games that put me in touch with so many great folks from this board, and other fans/alumni. But with the current landscape of college football I just don't see how we continue to justify the costs. Our expenses have skyrocketed while attendance has dwindled...and the "money games" revenue has not kept up nearly as much to keep up with the costs, so now we have to play 2-3 of them every year which makes putting together a "magical" season even less likely.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby mbenecke » Thu May 07, 2020 11:03 pm

Not asking because I have an agenda/opinion here, I'm just genuinely curious:

Could we even have sports at the D1 level without football, financially? I know that football is usually the overwhelming anchor for most departments, but I don't actually know the actual numbers. How sustainable would our department be on a D1 level without the money brought in from football?
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Fri May 08, 2020 12:15 am

FalconTurf wrote:

Question - What is the escape plan?
Going D1-AA (FCS) is only slight savings unless you go with Butler and friends no scholarships option lots of good basketball schools in their conference).
Drop it completely leaving the remnants of an extinct culture sitting by I-75.

Going to the FCS from the FBS would not be a savings whatsoever, this is a huge misnomer. Yes, you have 22 less scholarships with the FCS limit (63) compared to the FBS limit (85), but that is completely washed out by what FBS teams receive in payouts from P5 teams compared to what type of payouts FCS schools receive from P5 schools. You are talking about a lot of money here. Many P5 teams pay between $1.2 to $1.5 million for a home game vs a G5 FBS school, and will only payout about one-third of that amount for an FCS school (usually between $300,000-$400,000). Then you also have the difference in money FBS teams receive from broadcast agreements compare to FCS schools. It all adds up to a huge difference.

Just look at BG's non-conference schedule from last year alone as an example. Bowling Green’s 2019 non-conference schedule netted BG $1.4 million. BG got $1.1 million from Notre Dame and $815,000 from Kansas State (just under $2 million combined), while BG only paid a COMBINED amount of $550,000 to Morgan State and Louisiana Tech. If BG was an FCS school, instead of being paid $2 million for those two games it would have been paid a fraction of that. This is why you have seen FCS powers like Appalachian State, Georgia Southern and Marshall jump up to the FBS. These schools won and were winning national titles at the FCS level, and yet, came up not to even be P5 schools, but G5 schools. And other FCS powers like JMU have openly expressed interest in doing the same and have already built their stadiums up for a possible move up, and then you see how former FCS school Liberty University (with money coming out of its earholes) moved up to become a G5 Independent.

Idaho become the first school to move from the FBS to the FCS, but it was prompted by a number of issues. First off, Idaho made the lowest revenue amount in the entire FBS, but its biggest issue was it was no longer in a conference (booted from the Sun Belt) and was trying to survive as an FBS independent. On top of this, Moscow, Idaho is a very remote area (I can attest, I've been there). It had so many things working against it that they move it made based on those factors. UMass is tracking in the same direction for nearly identical reasons. But as for any MAC school, moving down from the FBS to the FCS would not be a cost saving measure whatsoever. It would find itself in an even tighter financial bind.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Fri May 08, 2020 9:25 am

I don't think the FCS is an option...I think we need to look at dropping to a much lower level. Hell...for all I know the virus cuts might revive the discussions about combining BGSU and UT into a single entity.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Next

Return to Men's Hoops