Mattos in Transfer Portal

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Mattos in Transfer Portal

Postby fredthefalcon » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:38 pm

Mattos entered the Portal today. Here's the twitter link.

https://twitter.com/LucWSmith/status/12 ... 5012754432
fredthefalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Mattos in Transfer Portal

Postby mbenecke » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:41 pm

I just saw that. Good luck to the young man. I had no idea that he was so young.

I assume that means Swingle will likely be the guy at the 5. I hope he puts in a lot of work this offseason.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:07 pm

Have to imagine this was because he was told he is going to fall behind Swingle on the depth chart, or that they were going to play smaller. An interview with him as recently as three weeks ago talked about how he was looking forward to the next two years with BG. Best of luck to him. Seemed like a good kid and a good teammate.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Uncle Tommy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:46 pm

Dude never got to play the last 15 minutes of the game. Weird. If he was good enough to start, why was he never in at crunch time? Never. C'mon coach!
Uncle Tommy
Egg
Egg

Postby BGSU33 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:01 pm

Assuming we have a return game with Dartmouth on tap (Huger tries playing games in or near the hometowns of guys), I wonder if BG will now try and buy it out or will it still go?
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:12 pm

mbenecke wrote:I just saw that. Good luck to the young man. I had no idea that he was so young.

I assume that means Swingle will likely be the guy at the 5. I hope he puts in a lot of work this offseason.

One has to wonder if there won’t be more transfers to follow. It’s going to be very easy to tell how serious Swingle is about being committed to be the guy at the 5 for BG. His body will tell us everything we need to know. Assuming the season will go as scheduled next year, he has over a half of a year to shed weight and to get into shape. We saw the physical transformation that Wiggins made in an offseason by adding strength (it was very noticeable from the season before), and it panned out for him on the floor. Swingle has a lot of weight to work with (to lose). If he doesn’t do his part, it’s going to not only show in his physical appearance, but he won’t be a factor or the answer moving forward.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby JohnFloyd4Life » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:41 pm

Well, I guess now I hope Gadsen is playing for us next year. If he and Swingle can play they will roll with the traditional 5 man they seem to prefer. With now two extra scholarships available and Mattos gone I'd really like to see them go after an athletic big man as a grad transfer or JUCO and see more of Matiss and this hypothetical athletic big in smaller, quicker lineups.

Overall I didn't want to see Mattos go but if he is our only transfer outside of Turner moving on I don't think it will be that big of a deal. I'm sure he would have improved but Mattos was extremely limited athletically. He was a solid rebounder and OK post defender but his offensive game was extremely limited and for his size cannot block shots and didn't serve as a rim protector. As some of you predicted I would bet we see him head back east somewhere closer to home and I wouldn't even be surprised if he went the D2 route like Koch and Caldwell.
JohnFloyd4Life
Chick
Chick

Postby mbenecke » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:15 pm

I could see Plowden playing the 5 in a small-ball lineup.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tswam » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:42 am

mbenecke wrote:I could see Plowden playing the 5 in a small-ball lineup.

Not strong enough at this point. Really struggles when he gets posted up.
Tswam
Chick
Chick

Postby BleedOrange » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:11 am

I thought Mattos made steady progress in each game that I saw him play. I think he can develop into a very tough player. Sad to see him go.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby zete » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:57 am

BleedOrange wrote:I thought Mattos made steady progress in each game that I saw him play. I think he can develop into a very tough player. Sad to see him go.

Where is he going?
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tswam » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:29 am

zete wrote:
BleedOrange wrote:I thought Mattos made steady progress in each game that I saw him play. I think he can develop into a very tough player. Sad to see him go.

Where is he going?

New Hampshire
Wofford
Stony Brook
Southern Utah
Tswam
Chick
Chick

Postby guest44 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:27 am

Mattos is headed to New Hampshire. That must have been a really tough decision since he claimed he was contacted by Kansas. The Jayhawks. Must have been a wrong number.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby zete » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:53 am

Kansas does not recruit Div II or ** star players. He was probably contacted in HS when they sent out 100s of letters to every prospect over 6'8" showing promise.
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby fredthefalcon » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:44 am

guest44 wrote:Mattos is headed to New Hampshire. That must have been a really tough decision since he claimed he was contacted by Kansas. The Jayhawks. Must have been a wrong number.

So basically he wanted to go home.
fredthefalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to Men's Hoops