No spectators at the tournament

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Re: No spectators at the tournament

Postby Globetrotter » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:27 pm

pdt1081 wrote::supz:
mbenecke wrote:I get this. Like, it's frustrating and everything. But it is about the safety of people as a whole, and I respect them for being proactive about it.

Believe what you want. There's close to or over 1,000 people on this jobsite from all over the country. There's 200 in this tent alone eating lunch together (other tents have more). Zero talk about us shutting down to stop the spread of anything.

It gives everybody the "feel goods" that something is being done to stop the spread, but it really is quite irrelevant. Live your life, wash your damn hands, don't cough and sneeze on people. We will survive this.

It's not the feel goods. It literally has been proven by other countries that this is what works. Just because your jobsite is being ignorant about it doesn't mean other people not being ignorant about it won't help slow the spread. In a report to congress they just said 75-150 million people in the US are likely to get it. Do the math with the mortality rate then. We won't all survive this. Think about those people in the category where around 14-15% of them are not making it and act in their best interest.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby MarkL » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:32 pm

My proposal for the NCAA tournament. Each program sends their players, coaches, staff, etc. Also for each game 10 tickets for family / friends for each athlete, a small band and cheerleading squad, and 100 additional tickets to distribute as each schools sets fit. Everyone has to pass a simple screening to enter (are you feeling well, have you traveled anywhere recently), and don't keep people in crowds.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby footballguy51 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:03 pm

MarkL wrote:My proposal for the NCAA tournament. Each program sends their players, coaches, staff, etc. Also for each game 10 tickets for family / friends for each athlete, a small band and cheerleading squad, and 100 additional tickets to distribute as each schools sets fit. Everyone has to pass a simple screening to enter (are you feeling well, have you traveled anywhere recently), and don't keep people in crowds.

Security: Have you traveled anywhere recently?

Me: Um, I'm here, aren't I?

Security: Sir, you cannot come in. May God have mercy on your soul.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:27 pm

Ha!! By travel of course I mean the virus hot zones ](*,)
MarkL has spoken.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:17 pm

BleedOrange wrote:Could this be an ironic omen for BG? Could this peculiar circumstance be what finally delivers BG to the dance?

This has crossed my mind, too.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:20 pm

MarkL wrote:My proposal for the NCAA tournament. Each program sends their players, coaches, staff, etc. Also for each game 10 tickets for family / friends for each athlete, a small band and cheerleading squad, and 100 additional tickets to distribute as each schools sets fit. Everyone has to pass a simple screening to enter (are you feeling well, have you traveled anywhere recently), and don't keep people in crowds.

The NCAA has decided there will be no spectators for the NCAA tournament.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... nt-go-fans
Schadenfreude

Postby Antimob » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:23 pm

Revised statement

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Following consultation with ESPN network programming officials, and at the recommendation of ESPN President Jim Pitaro, the Mid-American Conference late fall football games will be played. However, a de-facto restricted attendance policy will be implemented at each home venue.

The games will continue as scheduled from late October through early December. However, only credentialed institutional personnel, student-athlete family members, credentialed media, television and radio crews and official team party members will be in attendance. Half the MAC football season will be closed to the general public who are gainfully employed on a standard Monday through Friday working schedule.

This decision was made in consultation and guidance with executives desperate for mid-week programming looking for a conference gullible enough to sacrifice its fan base at the altar of television contract deals and the relative pittance of revenue produced from them.

“Getting in good with TV executives to help me land a better job is my greatest concern. Since January, I have stated that any decision would follow the advice of anyone and everyone but fans and alumni of Mid-American Conference schools. Following the feedback we received today we have taken this action, which is in alignment with the recommendation of Kirk Herbstreit,” said Mid-American Conference Commissioner Dr. Jon Steinbrecher.
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby kdog27 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:27 pm

Hope you all like the sound of squeaky shoes.
kdog27
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby kdog27 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:28 pm

March madness now too
kdog27
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Antimob » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:33 pm

BTW, the author of the original statement, who I can only assume is MAC Director of Communications Eric Kwiatkowski, is wearing an Ohio State Buckeyes shirt in his Twitter profile. ](*,)

https://twitter.com/itsEK24
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby pdt1081 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:36 pm

Globetrotter wrote:
mbenecke wrote:I get this. Like, it's frustrating and everything. But it is about the safety of people as a whole, and I respect them for being proactive about it.

Believe what you want. There's close to or over 1,000 people on this jobsite from all over the country. There's 200 in this tent alone eating lunch together (other tents have more). Zero talk about us shutting down to stop the spread of anything.

It gives everybody the "feel goods" that something is being done to stop the spread, but it really is quite irrelevant. Live your life, wash your damn hands, don't cough and sneeze on people. We will survive this.

It's not the feel goods. It literally has been proven by other countries that this is what works. Just because your jobsite is being ignorant about it doesn't mean other people not being ignorant about it won't help slow the spread. In a report to congress they just said 75-150 million people in the US are likely to get it. Do the math with the mortality rate then. We won't all survive this. Think about those people in the category where around 14-15% of them are not making it and act in their best interest.

They're not being ignorant about. The crap we work around it far more dangerous than this "bug." Anybody concerned can ask for a layoff and go be a hermit at home. The same way these sporting events should be handled. If you are concerned about catching it, stay home. Those of us who are going to continue living our lives should be able to attend. If they were serious about it, they would have shut the points of entry before it got here.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:06 pm

Nice one, Antimob!
MarkL has spoken.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Globetrotter » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:45 pm

pdt1081 wrote:
Globetrotter wrote:

They're not being ignorant about. The crap we work around it far more dangerous than this "bug." Anybody concerned can ask for a layoff and go be a hermit at home. The same way these sporting events should be handled. If you are concerned about catching it, stay home. Those of us who are going to continue living our lives should be able to attend. If they were serious about it, they would have shut the points of entry before it got here.

You aren’t being tough here. You might get it and live but you’ll pass it on to all kinds of people and they might not live. The hospitals will be full and something that was typically easy to fix won’t be because they won’t have enough beds or personnel. And the administration sort of tried to close the borders but they were more concerned about the economy than the risk.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:04 am

They're not trying to prevent people from getting infected with these closures; that ship has long since sailed. They're trying to slow the rate of infection so as not to overwhelm the health care system. China and South Korea have already bent their infection rate curves but it took massive government intervention to do so. We're 13 days behind Italy with respect to infection rates. Italy didn't respond as quickly as China and ROK and we didn't respond as quickly as Italy. It's gonna get a lot worse before it gets better.

An arena full of people "willing to take the risk" runs counter to the strategy. Just because 5,000 people are willing to take the risk does not mean the health care system can handle those 5k plus the other 50k they expose/infect.

No need to panic as long as we wash our hands and avoid crowds. And sorry to hear about your situation pdt. Stay safe.

2-time BGSU Intramural Curling Champion.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:20 am

TalonsUpPuckDown wrote:No need to panic as long as we wash our hands and avoid crowds. And sorry to hear about your situation pdt. Stay safe.

There's nothing to be sorry about my situation. It's work that needs to be done (maintenance) and it's far safer for us to do the work than it is for the maintenance to not be done. Jobs like this have always had illnesses travel through them. Most of them have very similar symptoms to this new virus. It travels the jobsite, we deal with it and move on. We're actually far more worried about the risk of MRSA, which seems to be popping up on every job at least once now.

There is a certain amount of danger with my job. I know it, I accept it, I'm well compensated for it (that helps with the accepting part). The same goes for this virus. It can be dangerous to some people, but the hysteria caused by it is far more dangerous.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops