No spectators at the tournament

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

No spectators at the tournament

Postby MarkL » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:05 pm

Straight from the office:

Following consultation with Ohio governmental and public health officials, and at the recommendation of Ohio Governor Mike DeWine, the Mid-American Conference announced today that the 2020 Mid-American Conference Tournament at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse in Cleveland will be played. However, a restricted attendance policy will be implemented for the tournament.

Only credentialed institutional personnel, student-athlete family members, credentialed media, television and radio crews, and official team party members will be permitted for attendance for the tournaments. For all others, the MAC tournaments will be closed to the general public.

This decision was made in consultation and guidance with local governmental and public health and medical officials to limit large gatherings due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19).

“The safety of all is our greatest concern. Since January, I have stated that any decision would follow the advice of state governmental officials and medical professionals. Following the feedback we received today we have taken this action which is in alignment with the recommendation of Governor DeWine,” said Mid-American Conference Commissioner, Dr. Jon Steinbrecher.

Fans will be able to watch the games through live streaming and cable networks. A full listing of games and television outlets is below.

Quarterfinal games for the men’s tournament begin Thursday with BGSU facing Toledo at 6:30 p.m. (ESPN+). Semifinal games will be played on Friday, with the championship game on Saturday.

Falcon fans who have already purchased tickets to the tournament will receive a full refund. Fans who have questions may call the BGSU Athletics Ticket Office at 419-382-0000.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: No spectators at the tournament

Postby MarkL » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:09 pm

No band, no cheerleaders. For both, it is a small crew and a reward. Really a shame but I get it.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby footballguy51 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:21 pm

Ethan Good needs to step up the cheering section BIG TIME! It's now all on the bench brigade!
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby factman » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:51 pm

I’m sure that the MAC office, will at least arrange local TV for all the teams! :butthead: :finga:
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:07 am

Then why bring the players, coaches, and officials to Cleveland?
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby footballguy51 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:26 am

Thursday's games will be on ESPN+. The Friday games will be on CBS Sports. The Saturday final game will be on ESPN2.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Globetrotter » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:36 am

guest44 wrote:Then why bring the players, coaches, and officials to Cleveland?

To play the games.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby mbenecke » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:57 am

I get this. Like, it's frustrating and everything. But it is about the safety of people as a whole, and I respect them for being proactive about it.

It seems bizarre to have the games without spectators but to allow the players and media in the building, but the goal here is to prevent large gatherings of people. So if they can limit it to media, player families, and players/coaches/officials, they will have mostly accomplished this.

While it's a good idea in theory, I think it's essentially an unnecessary step because people could still be gathered in large, enclosed spaces when they go to a restaurant, school, or anywhere else. It seems strange to me that the Walleye and Blue Jackets were both fine to move forward with fans but the MAC was unwilling to. I'm sure it could just be the almighty dollar at work with those pro teams, though.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:16 am

Lol because they aren’t at more risk than the people in the stands, while sweating all over each other and staying in hotels.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:25 am

guest44 wrote:Lol because they aren’t at more risk than the people in the stands, while sweating all over each other and staying in hotels.

And I get this point as well. There isn't zero risk, but I'm glad that they are at least still playing the games. It wouldn't have sat well with me if they had decided to go the Ivy League route and let the regular season champ take the big, after the way we squandered it to close the season.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BleedOrange » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:30 am

Could this be an ironic omen for BG? Could this peculiar circumstance be what finally delivers BG to the dance?
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby mbenecke » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:35 am

BleedOrange wrote:Could this be an ironic omen for BG? Could this peculiar circumstance be what finally delivers BG to the dance?

We're celebrating, confetti is coming down, we raise up that trophy, and... silence. :lol:
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Globetrotter » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:02 am

guest44 wrote:Lol because they aren’t at more risk than the people in the stands, while sweating all over each other and staying in hotels.

Because this thing spreads when large groups of people are together and they want to do whatever they can to mitigate the spread.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavi ... d3d9cd99ca
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby drumstix2388 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:03 am

It's a numbers game, and young people in good physical condition aren't really at risk. If one person in the crowd has it and sits around five older people, those five lives are in danger. I think it's a good call. It's awkward for the players and sucks for the fans, but this is the best way to slow the spread.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:36 pm

:supz:
mbenecke wrote:I get this. Like, it's frustrating and everything. But it is about the safety of people as a whole, and I respect them for being proactive about it.

Believe what you want. There's close to or over 1,000 people on this jobsite from all over the country. There's 200 in this tent alone eating lunch together (other tents have more). Zero talk about us shutting down to stop the spread of anything.

It gives everybody the "feel goods" that something is being done to stop the spread, but it really is quite irrelevant. Live your life, wash your damn hands, don't cough and sneeze on people. We will survive this.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to Men's Hoops