vs. Buffalo (3/6)

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

vs. Buffalo (3/6)

Postby mbenecke » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:30 am

We're looking to rebound and win a MAC title this Friday, March 6, with a little bit of outside help. This is March.

Our Falcons (21-9, 12-5) will be returning home to take on the Buffalo Bulls (19-11, 10-7) in a game that will tip at 6:00pm and be nationally televised on ESPNU. It's Senior Night, and tickets are going fast, so make sure you grab some early if you're planning to go. 5 sections are already sold out. Other sections have 5, 9, 21, and 29 left, and will likely be sold out by the time the game arrives. In total, there are just 618 reserved tickets left, if my count is correct. The General Admission tickets are also already down to medium availability, and those will also likely be scarce by game time.

It's a white out, and the athletic department is asking fans to wear their white, so please be willing to participate if you're able to and going to the game - great opportunity for us to show what kind of atmosphere BGSU basketball games bring to a national audience, and an excellent recruiting opportunity for this program.

This is a big game. With a win in this one, and an Akron loss to Kent State, we would be co-MAC champions and outright owners of the #1 seed in the MAC tournament next week. This team is slumping hard right now, but there would be nothing better than getting a big win in a nationally televised game in front of a packed house. We're 13-1 at home on the year, so it's time to defend home court and go into Cleveland with some momentum.

Let's get it. Beat Buffalo. Go Falcons!
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: vs. Buffalo (3/6)

Postby Globetrotter » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:18 pm

White for surrender
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby mbenecke » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:41 pm

Globetrotter wrote:White for surrender

Funny, I was just showing War Horse to my class today, so this actually feels super topical for me.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby gspointer » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:24 pm

Another looking to rebound post....... I we have not done it by now ...... Just seem to lake passion for the game...
gspointer
Chick
Chick

Postby mbenecke » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:25 pm

Turner is taking part is senior night recognition tomorrow night.

He's going to be celebrated with the class he came in with 4 years ago. It's always strange as a redshirt, when you aren't out there with the class you came in with.

I guess you can read into this as much as you want. It may mean nothing, and it may mean he's gone after the year. We don't really know yet.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:04 am

Stat: We're 3-5 on Senior Night in the Stroh Center era. Last year's win over Kent State was the first on Senior Night since 2013.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:39 am

I'm seeing BG -2.5 tonight on Odds Shark.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BleedOrange » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:35 pm

When JTurner gets the ball, he goes into a Lebron-style 12-second floor pounding routine and the rest of the offense dies. This is why he and Plowden can never play off one another to dominate with their combined athleticism. JT cannot finish worth a sh1t and is not a reliable threat from 3. I ponder whether he'll be 1st team all MAC. He's certainly no POTY.

Concerning Plowden's 3pt shooting...his % is better than that of JTurner, Frye, Field, and Laster. Note that Plowden often shoots 3s out of rhythm, but whne does shoot in rhythm, he's a serious threat. Note that Plowden had several eye-popping NBA caliber cuts to the basket.

Concerning Frye...he's just not as reliable as we need him to be. Against Kent, he committed 2 ridiculous and unnecessary passing turnovers early in the shot clock. Maybe now is when he finds his focus.

Concerning Ziegler... he has clearly found his confidence and has shown that he can run the half court offense effectively. It's just that it doesn't show up in the stat line. His on-the-ball defense is tenacious and he guards well against the drive. He can beat anybody to the basket anytime. Against Kent, he had a couple of sensational passes. IMO, he's the best athlete on the team by a good stretch. Expect his 2pt and 3pt %s to improve in the upcoming games.

In closing, I'll point out underlying problem for this teams issues: almost all of our guys lack upper body strength. Plowden, JTurner, Laster, Ziegler, Sierra, Frye - they'd all look like pansies in the weight room.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby BGSU33 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:37 pm

mbenecke wrote:Turner is taking part is senior night recognition tomorrow night.

He's going to be celebrated with the class he came in with 4 years ago. It's always strange as a redshirt, when you aren't out there with the class you came in with.

I guess you can read into this as much as you want. It may mean nothing, and it may mean he's gone after the year. We don't really know yet.

Tonight could be the last time he plays in the Stroh Center. I hope not.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BleedOrange » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:56 pm

BGSU33 wrote:
mbenecke wrote:Turner is taking part is senior night recognition tomorrow night.

Tonight could be the last time he plays in the Stroh Center. I hope not.

He won't go in the 1st or 2nd round of the NBA draft this summer. If he leaves, it's to play in Europe or develop on one of the NBA farm teams. That actually might be a sound business decision on his part.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby BleedOrange » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:03 pm

Great. Another 30% shooting night. Leave it to BGSU to yet again lay down and die late in the season.

This team doesn't look like they want to win anywhere near as badly as tmany other decent MAC team.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby gspointer » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:35 pm

Having BG a hard time seeing turner as a NBA prospect. Why are we even talking of him leaving. This team is just missing too many things
gspointer
Chick
Chick

Postby Hammer » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:36 pm

The number one thing they are missing is a coach. These lineups and strategies are head scratchers.
Hammer
Egg
Egg

Postby Globetrotter » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:45 pm

Im regretting watching this.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby Hammer » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:47 pm

That’s the worst blocking call I have ever witnessed. That’s the play of the game.
Hammer
Egg
Egg

Next

Return to Men's Hoops