@ Kent State (3/3)

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Re: @ Kent State (3/3)

Postby guest44 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:58 pm

BG needed a rim protector to complete this team. They never added one. IMO put Frye back in the starting lineup, crank up the tempo, and try to shoot your way to a title in Cleveland.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:00 pm

Well, that's back to back @ss kickings we've suffered with a game to go before the tournament. I'd say we're right where we need to be to setup how we're going to get bounced outta Cleveland.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:03 pm

Diemilkweed wrote:SO PLowden has had a hard time hitting the ocean from the beach lately. Are teams treating him like a real threat and defending him differently, or is something off? BEcause if he was hitting half-ish of his shots, this would be a VERY different game.

He's never been a true threat with the ball in his hands but it seems like he's been taking more shots off his own moves lately...and that's not his game.

He's a fine catch and shoot shooter (although he missed some open looks tonight). But he's just not a real threat off the dribble. His points should come off cuts, put backs, and catch n shoot 3s.

Without Frye in the lineup we need Zeigler to become a scoring threat. Fields and Mattos are nothing on offense. Can't afford a 3rd guy like that on the floor.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby BGSU33 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:03 pm

guest44 wrote:BG needed a rim protector to complete this team. They never added one. IMO put Frye back in the starting lineup, crank up the tempo, and try to shoot your way to a title in Cleveland.

Fields is not a starter and his stat line again tonight was hot garbage. He's overrated on defense and is horrible on offense. We need to insert Frye back into the starting line up to have any sort of chance. Whatever we might lose on defense we more than make up on offense. I'm rolling the dice with Frye.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Globetrotter » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:05 pm

[/quote]

Our offensive scheme is garbage, but if you don't think teams are afraid of Turner I don't know what to tell ya. Simply watching the way teams throw multiple bodies at him consistently shows you exactly how much they are afraid of him.

The problem is the rest of our team just disappears. We don't ever seem to run plays to creat open shots, nor do we have anybody who is truly a playmaker to create for teammates.

Defensively it's a struggle. I don't think we have a center that should be playing minutes in the MAC and if teams are willing to go inside on us they can really tear us up. And any time we bring in reserves it's dumpster fire defense.

In reality Turner and Plowden are the only 2 guys on the roster who are a net positive on both ends of the floor. The rest of the lineup Huger has to decide on a worthless offensive player or a gaping hole on defense.[/quote]

Yeah I should have reworded that. He is a threat. He just seems timid.

And I disagree with you a bit. I think this roster is ok. The offense and coaching is just terrible. You can win with Mattis, Frye, Diggs, Fields, Plowden, Turner, Laster if you have guys who are aggressive and angry and trying to win. You can win with bad offensive players here and there. But you have to use them to put the other guys in good positions. We just stand around and play iso ball. Its mind numbingly terrible. Honestly this team feels like when I was coaching 4th grade basketball and only knew how to install one play so we ran the one play regardless of what happened. I wasn't being paid and didn't know what I was doing. He is making a ton.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby Globetrotter » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:05 pm

Where was Laster?
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby Globetrotter » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:08 pm

This team is 4-4 over the last 8 games. Was 17-5 before that.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby mbenecke » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:09 pm

We finished with 4 of 5 losses last year before our run in Cleveland.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:10 pm

Ohio is in the process of losing their lead at home against Akron...only down about 4 now with about 10 minutes to go. I suspect Akron will go on to complete the comeback win and clinch at least a tie for the regular season title.

As already stated, so long as BG settles for coaches like Huger, there is no way they'll break that streak. He's pedestrian at best.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:22 pm

Our run last year in Cleveland was through Ball St and Northern Illinois. While BG played well, it received help from Northern.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:30 pm

BGSU33 wrote:
guest44 wrote:BG needed a rim protector to complete this team. They never added one. IMO put Frye back in the starting lineup, crank up the tempo, and try to shoot your way to a title in Cleveland.

Fields is not a starter and his stat line again tonight was hot garbage. He's overrated on defense and is horrible on offense. We need to insert Frye back into the starting line up to have any sort of chance. Whatever we might lose on defense we more than make up on offense. I'm rolling the dice with Frye.

I'm inclined to agree. I think Zeigler can play the defense Fields has and may provide some semblance of a scoring threat.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby footballguy51 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:18 pm

Starting lineup for Friday: Good, Frye, Laster, Sierra, and Plowden/JTurner. I'm not claiming this is the winning lineup, but it's senior night.

In Cleveland, our starting 5 should be Turner, Frye, Zeigler, Plowden, and Mattos.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BleedOrange » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:43 pm

One bright side....Ziegler. He's found his confidence and is playing aggressively. He makes few mistakes and his defense is KILLER. His decision making is solid. He can get the hole very well. IMO, he's established himself as our #1 PG.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby BGSU33 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:48 am

hammb wrote:
BGSU33 wrote:

I'm inclined to agree. I think Zeigler can play the defense Fields has and may provide some semblance of a scoring threat.

No team has to run Fields or Zeigler off the three-point line and neither one of them is a threat to hurt you with a jumper from inside the arch either. The same can be said when Laster is on the floor and each one of that trio can really only reliably score in the form of a layup. Because of it, teams are hedging and doubling down on Turner and Plowden and we have no answers for it with our rotation. With Frye or Diggs out there (or both), teams can't hedge as hard (or won't at all) and pull back doubling and it gives us much better spacing and lanes with guys who can not only stretch the floor, but can also roll to spots and score. Our starting/substitution rotation hasn't been as good or effective ever since Frye left and it's wrecking havoc on us at the worst time.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Class of 61 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:02 am

Akron won By 7. OU had 20 in 2nd half. ](*,)
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops