vs. Akron (2/25)

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

vs. Akron (2/25)

Postby mbenecke » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:22 pm

Well, it's here. In perhaps the biggest game of the season, our Falcons (20-7, 11-3) will host the Akron Zips (21-6, 11-3) in a battle for MAC supremacy. We'll do battle at 7:00pm inside the Stroh Center. Tickets are going quick for this one, so it might be a good idea to hop on that now if you're thinking about being in the seats for this championship-level bout. If you can't make it, it will be streamed on ESPN+.

It's pretty simple - we need this game if we have any hope of winning the MAC regular season title and clinching an NIT berth, though we definitely have aspirations for more than that this year. To put the magnitude of this contest into perspective, PlayoffStatus currently gives us a 44% chance at the 1-seed. With a win, that number jumps to a 78% chance. With a loss, it plummets to just 8%.

This team handled us last time, in large part because they shot 16 more free throws than we did. We need to play good, clean defense this time around and don't let them get anything easy. We also need to shoot much better than we did the last time out - 6/25 from three just isn't good enough.

It's time. We're for real, and they're for real. This is for everything we've worked for up to this point. Time to go blow for blow and sink the Zips.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: vs. Akron (2/25)

Postby Uncle Tommy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:40 pm

I'm gonna say the Zips will be favored by 1, maybe 1.5 pts.
Uncle Tommy
Egg
Egg

Postby mbenecke » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:41 pm

I actually think BG will be the favorite, being at home. But like you, I agree that it should be a small spread, and essentially a pick em.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Class of 61 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:11 am

My biggest complaint...doesn’t ESPN and/ or CBS Sports have options to show “Special games”?
If so, think this game might be considered “ Soecial”?
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:52 am

Class of 61 wrote:My biggest complaint...doesn’t ESPN and/ or CBS Sports have options to show “Special games”?

Yes, but they have to pick it up 12 or 6 days beforehand, and they did not choose to do so for this game.

The Buffalo game on March 6 was picked up for ESPNU, though.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby zete » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:55 am

Class of 61 wrote:My biggest complaint...doesn’t ESPN and/ or CBS Sports have options to show “Special games”?

I would think this game would have a fairly high viewing appeal especially at this point of the season. Not only in NE and NW Ohio, but to the thousands and thousands of the Akron and BG alumni all over the country. Something to look forward to all day Tuesday.
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:14 pm

Fields is confirmed to have an ankle injury.

He’s practicing today, and he’s listed as questionable for tomorrow night. If he looks right, I would anticipate that he’ll be available.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Matty B » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:58 pm

zete wrote:

I would think this game would have a fairly high viewing appeal especially at this point of the season. Not only in NE and NW Ohio, but to the thousands and thousands of the Akron and BG alumni all over the country. Something to look forward to all day Tuesday.

You'd think that. But ESPN is committed to showing the last place team in the ACC, 3 sub-500 teams in the Big 12, and the last place team in the American on Tuesday night.

Hard to sell putting a pair of 20 win teams on TV ahead of that sweet slate of games :roll:
LONG LIVE THE MONGOOSE!!
Matty B
Chick
Chick

Postby BGSU33 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:20 pm

Akron is favored by 1.5
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:27 am

Akron has gone under in 8 of their last 10, and we've done so in 6 of our last 10. Knowing this, we'll probably get a game with no defense tonight. Lol
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:32 am

Above almost anything else, we need a hot start tonight. Too often, we find ourselves in double digit holes in the first half, and a lot of that is because we shoot so poorly to start games. 2 points in 8 minutes is just unacceptable.

Start strong and don't let off the gas. Take care of the basketball, and make free throws when you get calls. Akron is the type of team to shoot a ton of free throws, so we're going to have to find other ways to match them offensively - easiest way is in transition, so when we get a stop or force a turnover, we need to fly down the floor and see if we can get an easy look.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BleedOrange » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:49 am

I don't have a good feeling tonight. We've had serious flaws in our last two games and came close to losing both. Tonight is when we may get exposed as a pretender.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby hammb » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:57 am

BleedOrange wrote:I don't have a good feeling tonight. We've had serious flaws in our last two games and came close to losing both. Tonight is when we may get exposed as a pretender.

I don't ever have a good feeling when we play Akron. And they already boatraced us once.

We can never beat that freaking team...until we run off a couple years of being competitive/winning against them, I'll always enter games against the Zips expecting us to lose.

They've got some real good backcourt scorers, and Groce is one of the best MAC coaches in the past 15 years. We've got our work cut out, for sure.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby AyZiggy97 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:00 pm

zete wrote:

The only Tuesday game in the flex scheduling is one week from tonight. CBSSN selected OU at Akron. The other Tuesday games in the MAC season are locked in. The Friday games in January were pre-scheduled. Two games were moved from Feb. 8 to Feb. 7, two from Feb. 15 to Feb. 14 and one each last weekend and this weekend. Then the two game times that changed on March 6, Buffalo at BG and Kent at Akron for ESPNU & CBSSN.
AyZiggy97
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:24 pm

mbenecke wrote:Above almost anything else, we need a hot start tonight. Too often, we find ourselves in double digit holes in the first half, and a lot of that is because we shoot so poorly to start games. 2 points in 8 minutes is just unacceptable.

I was thinking the exact same thing. If we don’t get that cleaned up, it will not only cost us tonight, but it will be how we get bounced from the MAC tournament. Time after time after time teams come out fired up and focused and BG instantly falls behind by a large margins and looks unprepared and unmotivated. How have we not gotten that cleaned up at this stage in the game? It’s very frustrating.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to Men's Hoops