Dylan Frye is back

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Re: Dylan Frye is back

Postby drumstix2388 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:39 am

If I were a betting man, I'd say Zeigler still starts and Frye acts as a 6th man. I think Zeigler's minutes will plummet, but only after the first 4-5 of the game. I have to think this would have made this very clear to Frye before any kind of agreement for his return.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Lord_Byron » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:47 am

This is good news for Dylan Frye. I hope it works out for him.

If it is difficult for the coach, oh well, that's why he's paid a super-normal salary--- to manage things that are difficult.
BG '79

Twitter: @Vapid_Inanities
Lord_Byron
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks

Postby Globetrotter » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:18 pm

JohnFloyd4Life wrote:
mbenecke wrote:While I understand that some of you feel he should be eased back in or that it could mess with the chemistry to throw him back in, I won't rule out the idea that he's going to start on Saturday. He's been around for almost 4 full seasons now and been the starting point guard for multiple years. I think if anyone could make the jump from the street to starting, it's him. He knows the system, he's played well in big minutes, and he's loved by the guys on the team. Whether or not that's the best idea is certainly something that can be debated. But I definitely acknowledge that it's a very real possibility that he's announced with the starters on Saturday.

Another consideration is starting vs. getting more minutes, in relation to Zeigler. Just because someone starts or comes off the bench doesn't mean they will get more/less minutes or get to close the game. It'll be intriguing to note how Huger tinkers with the lineup and how things progress as the next few weeks get rolling towards Cleveland.

You could be right, from a coaching perspective this is a nightmare. You've got a guy like Zeigler who presumptively has done all the right things, been rewarded for it and the team has been successful during this time. Now you have Frye, who regardless of the reasons for it left the team the last two weeks. I'm sure the team wants him back, and I'm sure Frye and the coaching staff have worked out and understanding and terms for his return. Hopefully it all works out.

Was Zeigler in at the end of the Ball State game? Regardless, he has 3 years to play major minutes, I don't think the next two weeks should matter much.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby Globetrotter » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:19 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:If I were a betting man, I'd say Zeigler still starts and Frye acts as a 6th man. I think Zeigler's minutes will plummet, but only after the first 4-5 of the game. I have to think this would have made this very clear to Frye before any kind of agreement for his return.

Frye starts I think. He should be the last one announced and his reception should be raucous.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby mbenecke » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:40 pm

Globetrotter wrote:
drumstix2388 wrote:If I were a betting man, I'd say Zeigler still starts and Frye acts as a 6th man. I think Zeigler's minutes will plummet, but only after the first 4-5 of the game. I have to think this would have made this very clear to Frye before any kind of agreement for his return.

Frye starts I think. He should be the last one announced and his reception should be raucous.

It's not quite LeBron coming back to Cleveland in 2014 (excellent videos of that online, an all-time reception) but it's a pretty dang big deal. He's been a special player his entire time here. I would love for him to get a great reception, whether it's during the starting lineups or when he checks in for the first time. He deserves it.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TommyG » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:22 pm

From what I’ve heard I would be very surprised if he started and I don’t think his actions would warrant a huge ovation....more of a earn your minutes back situation.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby Flipper » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:12 am

It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Falconwriter » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:50 pm

TommyG wrote:From what I’ve heard I would be very surprised if he started and I don’t think his actions would warrant a huge ovation....more of a earn your minutes back situation.

You're wrong. This is about his body of work as an athlete at BG -- not about the last several weeks.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TommyG » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:37 pm

Falconwriter wrote:
TommyG wrote:From what I’ve heard I would be very surprised if he started and I don’t think his actions would warrant a huge ovation....more of a earn your minutes back situation.

You're wrong. This is about his body of work as an athlete at BG -- not about the last several weeks.

Just telling you what I’ve heard...it would surprise me if he started. Cheer him if you want. It’s a free country.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby drumstix2388 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:49 pm

TommyG wrote:
Falconwriter wrote:

Just telling you what I’ve heard...it would surprise me if he started. Cheer him if you want. It’s a free country.

*through clenched teeth* I agree with TommyG. I think a nice ovation would be great, and appropriate based on his body of work, but I think this is definitely an "earn your minutes back" situation. If he comes off the bench and drains five 3s and has a few nice dimes, consider me sold on him being back in the starting five, but I don't think it will be handed to him.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falcon Commander » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:09 am

Twitter quote...

Best feeling ever being out on that court again with my brothers. The warm welcome back from the falcon fans was special. Love you all ❤️
Show our Spirit,
Make them Fear it,
Fight for Dear Bee Gee.

REBUILD-ING --> BG HOCKEY!!
Falcon Commander
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:43 am

I was pretty surprised to see just how loud and voracious his cheer was for coming back.

I found it equally interesting how his teammates largely ignored him on the floor for his first several minutes...even when he was coming wide open off screens. It was so obvious that my wife who barely pays attention to the games noticed.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Matty B » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:14 pm

I was shocked that Huger had Dylan in the game in crunch time, especially with how well Laster played.
LONG LIVE THE MONGOOSE!!
Matty B
Chick
Chick

Postby FalconTurf » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:26 pm

hammb wrote:I was pretty surprised to see just how loud and voracious his cheer was for coming back.

I found it equally interesting how his teammates largely ignored him on the floor for his first several minutes...even when he was coming wide open off screens. It was so obvious that my wife who barely pays attention to the games noticed.

I wasn’t surprised to see the rust on his game. Going forward this team needs a rust free Frye. I think his game will come back quickly but his offensive and defensive body positioning wasn’t where it had been yesterday nor was his timing in the offense. He’ll be fine but he wasn’t snubbed as much as he was out of sync in my opinion.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FalconTurf » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:28 pm

Matty B wrote:I was shocked that Huger had Dylan in the game in crunch time, especially with how well Laster played.

I was too but in hindsight I would say Huger sent the message that the team is going to rely on him as the #2 option in those situations.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops