vs. Ohio (2/22)

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Re: vs. Ohio (2/22)

Postby Matty B » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:52 am

I think it really speaks to the depth of this team when our best defensive player is a surprise scratch and not one person here has mentioned that yet, but all complained about the defense, lol.

We really missed Fields out there, especially in the first half. I did think Ziegler did a nice job on Preston in the 2nd half and really toughed it out after getting blasted on a couple of screens.

However, if we are missing Caleb for the Akron game we better shoot the damn lights out because Cheese and Christian-Jackson can both score at will.
LONG LIVE THE MONGOOSE!!
Matty B
Chick
Chick

Postby mbenecke » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:32 am

Globetrotter wrote:Same things every game. That’s coaching.

You’re right about this, Globe - and I think it goes both ways, too. The coaching on this team gets the guys out of it just as much as it keeps us in position to win at the end.

Huger is 42-19 since starting his first 3 years 45-53. Maybe he needed time to build his program, and this brand of “cardiac kids” basketball is what we’ll expect with him moving forward. For me, as long as we’re winning, I’ll take it.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:41 am

mbenecke wrote:
Globetrotter wrote:Same things every game. That’s coaching.

You’re right about this, Globe - and I think it goes both ways, too. The coaching on this team gets the guys out of it just as much as it keeps us in position to win at the end.

Huger is 42-19 since starting his first 3 years 45-53. Maybe he needed time to build his program, and this brand of “cardiac kids” basketball is what we’ll expect with him moving forward. For me, as long as we’re winning, I’ll take it.

My issue with that is that it seems to rest sooo heavily on the shoulders of Turner. He's phenomenal late in games...even games where he has struggled through 35 mins.

Obviously major props for finding and developing that talent, but it's not exactly great coaching to say, give the ball to your best player and hope he pulls it out every game.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby mbenecke » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:54 pm

And that’s fair too, hammb. But he also grabbed Diggs, who has shown progress over the course of the season and dropped in 7 threes yesterday.

And we held our opponent to 61 without our best defender available.

I think there’s only so much griping that can done when you’re 20-7 and at the top of the MAC... we’re all just really good at harping on that stuff. Haha
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FalconTurf » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:07 pm

No props for Huger leading to our first back-to-back 20 win seasons since the late 40’s and our first back-to-back winning MAC seasons since the beginning of the millennium. If they earn the bye for the second year in a row that should be be a first in a while, if ever.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:27 pm

FalconTurf wrote:No props for Huger leading to our first back-to-back 20 win seasons since the late 40’s and our first back-to-back winning MAC seasons since the beginning of the millennium. If they earn the bye for the second year in a row that should be be a first in a while, if ever.

I'll certainly give him credit for all of those accomplishments.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby footballguy51 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:57 pm

Since you brought it up, what was the deal with Fields not playing?
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:28 pm

I haven't heard anything about why Fields didn't play. He was on the bench with the team, just wasn't dressed and didn't play.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FalconTurf » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:44 pm

Heard ankle up in seats. Not sure accurate
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Globetrotter » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:24 pm

ankle
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Previous

Return to Men's Hoops