vs. Ohio (2/22)

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

vs. Ohio (2/22)

Postby mbenecke » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:40 am

Following our road victory at Ball State, our Falcons (19-7, 10-3) have another big fight, this time with the Ohio Bobcats (13-13, 5-8) on Saturday, February 22nd at 4:30pm. This game will be available to stream on ESPN+.

The 1999-2000 MAC champions will be in the building to be honored, including Coach Dan Dakich. This was a fantastic team at the time, so it would be great if there were plenty of orange-clad fans in the stands to honor them - especially if they pulled the double and went straight over to hockey for senior night after the basketball game.

In our last contest with Ohio, we won 83-74. We were down 10 at halftime, but we dropped 50 in the 2nd half to win going away on the road. Turner went for 29 the first time around. We absolutely need to win this game against an inferior opponent, so it’s time to get after it and get the job done.

Let’s do it. Beat Ohio. Go Falcons!
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: vs. Ohio (2/22)

Postby hammb » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:02 am

Wonder if Dan will unblock any of us BG fans on Twitter since he's coming back to town?

I graduated HS in '98, graduated from BG in '02. That stretch of basketball was just so much fun. The '00 team winning the regular season title, was obviously great, the '02 team was probably my favorite.

Speaking of that era, BG Sports & Information really needs to get Keith McLeod's #20 painted on the Stroh wall. I don't know, maybe they're waiting for his 20 year anniversary of graduating, but as far as I'm concerned it should already be done. BG's #2 leading scorer of all time (would be #1 if not for Stace's medical year). MAC POY in '01-'02. Tremendous team success for really all 4 years he was here (79-41 record). We have quite a few numbers over there, but AFAIC anybody winning MAC POY should have their number on that wall.

As for the game, it's a big one, I hope we come out fired up and full of energy after a week off. We must hold home court down the stretch to do everything in our power to get that top seed.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby BleedOrange » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:27 am

This week off comes at a good time. The team needs this time to adjust to the new PG roles due to Frye's departure.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby JohnFloyd4Life » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:46 pm

A win here would do a lot to seal a bye in the conference tourney. Right now it sits:
1. Akron 10-3
2. BG 10-3
3. NIU 8-5
4. Buffalo 8-5

With Akron, @Miami, @Kent & Buffalo sitting ahead on the schedule this one and Miami are extremely important in getting one of those top 4 seeds.
JohnFloyd4Life
Chick
Chick

Postby mbenecke » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:39 pm

Absolutely. We need to beat Ohio and Miami.

Beyond that, a win over Akron would have me feeling pretty good about our chances at the 1.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Uncle Tommy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:32 am

Time to guess the spread for Saturday against OU. I'm gonna go with BG by 9.

Let's see if Huger lets Matos play more than 2 minutes in the second half.
Uncle Tommy
Egg
Egg

Postby OSUFALCON » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:46 am

A win over Ohio U clinches a trip to Cleveland.
OSUFALCON
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:17 am

DEFEND THE THREE! That’s what BG better be practicing this week for this game. Ohio peppered CMU to the tune of 13 made threes in a win in their last game and connected on 10 threes vs us earlier this season in a game BG was down by double digits at the half. Ohio is better than its record as they have a number of very close losses that could have gone the other way. I’d love to see us come out fast for a change and go start to finish and win a game like that already instead of digging out of a hole like we often need to do.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Matty B » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:19 pm

Uncle Tommy wrote:Time to guess the spread for Saturday against OU. I'm gonna go with BG by 9.

I'd guess BG -6.5. We match up pretty well against these guys. Now let's take care of business at home. Winning our remaining 3 home games all but guaranteed us a shot in Cleveland regardless of what happens on the road. 4-1 gets us the 1 seed as long as the 1 loss isn't Akron.
LONG LIVE THE MONGOOSE!!
Matty B
Chick
Chick

Postby Uncle Tommy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:44 pm

Matty B wrote:
Uncle Tommy wrote:Time to guess the spread for Saturday against OU. I'm gonna go with BG by 9.

I'd guess BG -6.5. We match up pretty well against these guys. Now let's take care of business at home. Winning our remaining 3 home games all but guaranteed us a shot in Cleveland regardless of what happens on the road. 4-1 gets us the 1 seed as long as the 1 loss isn't Akron.

We're only favored by 4.5 pts. I guess we're not that good.
Uncle Tommy
Egg
Egg

Postby Diemilkweed » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:36 pm

I paid for an espn+ account specifically for BGSU hoops.

The game has been moved to ESPN 3.

My espn+ account does nto grant me access to espn3.

WTF guys?
Diemilkweed
Egg
Egg

Postby Globetrotter » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:48 pm

“BG starts out passive and is outplayed by inferior team.” Could be the headline for every game under huger.

We rarely hustle.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby BGSU33 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:55 pm

This is why this team won’t win a MAC Tournament championship. These slow starts after slow starts will cost us. You can’t win three games in three days falling behind by this much time after time.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Diemilkweed » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:02 pm

Answered my own question. When the game is on any other ESPN platform, you can NOT get it on ESPN+.

So, when they move it around, they are forcing you to pay multiple different parties in order to see the games.

I already pay for 3 or 4 different espn channels through my cable, and espn+.

But no. That's not enough. I would have to pony up yet more money to get epsn3 on my own because it is not offered locally in any way shape or form.

Instead, I canceled my espn+.

This death by a thousand $5 cuts business model they are going to is NOT for me.
Diemilkweed
Egg
Egg

Postby BGSU33 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:03 pm

BGSU33 wrote:DEFEND THE THREE! That’s what BG better be practicing this week for this game. Ohio peppered CMU to the tune of 13 made threes in a win in their last game and connected on 10 threes vs us earlier this season in a game BG was down by double digits at the half. Ohio is better than its record as they have a number of very close losses that could have gone the other way. I’d love to see us come out fast for a change and go start to finish and win a game like that already instead of digging out of a hole like we often need to do.

I posted this the other day. First three words of the post were “DEFEND THE THREE!!” And what is Ohio doing? Burying open three after three after three. SMH...
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to Men's Hoops