@ Ball State (2/15)

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Re: @ Ball State (2/15)

Postby OSUFALCON » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:38 pm

I see no dominant team in the MAC which will lead to a wild tournament. Akron has the best backcourt in the MAC which will make them the favorite to win the tournament. The only remaining game the Falcons won’t be favored to win is the road game at Kent State. A one seed would guarantee a visit to the NIT if this team doesn’t end the NCAA streak this year. Let’s hope Turner’s back is strong to carry the load.
OSUFALCON
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:34 pm

naandre wrote:A win is a win, but just going by the box score after the game there were definitely a lot of red flags. It didn't seem like anybody other than Juice is stepping up to make up for Fry's production and only 8 assists?! (and only 2 from non-Turner players?!)

That assist number is astonishing and not at all indicative of how the game went. We moved the ball very well and just missed the bunnies or got fouled.

Laster gave us a lot today as well. Was nice to see him scoring again.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby BleedOrange » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:49 am

hammb wrote:
BleedOrange wrote:Today, the entire MAC learns that BG cannot handle pressure defense. Hugor needs to correct this immediately.

I learned it 4 years ago. Since Huger arrived (and really under Orr as well) we've been quite awful against zones and full court pressure.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why their actual plan, for at least 7 straight in bounds plays, was to toss it in the corner. He's supposed to quickly pass it back to the in bout see under the hoop, but man that seems like a risky play. And I'd try something else when it fails on like 6-7 straight attempts...

This team folded like a beach chair. I've never seen a BG team suck so badly against full court pressure. This is one time where Frye's court sense would have helped.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby AyZiggy97 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:28 pm

There are two ways to look at this. The game was never really in doubt. Both KenPom & ESPN had BG reaching 99%+ chance of winning with about 5 minutes left. Ken Pom dropped to 91% and ESPN to 94% when it got to a 5 point game. So some of the reaction is overwrought.

Still, games are 40 minutes long. And winning numerous games by 6 instead of 20 keeps BG in the mid 100s of both Pomeroy & NET. Heck, they're still behind Ball State and Toledo and we all know those season series results. The old time RPI has the Falcons at #58 at KPI at 98. That's the difference between a couple of seed lines if they win the MACT.
AyZiggy97
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby JohnFloyd4Life » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:47 pm

Here's what I saw. Huger wanted them to get the ball in, have the PG bring it up, take care of the ball, run clock, force Ball State to foul. What happened instead took me back to my days of coaching JV basketball. Plowden would throw the ball to the corner where usually Laster would be immediately trapped, no one would flash and Plowden would sit in the middle under the basket for the reversal. It was also evident that Plowden didn't know he could run the baseline after a made bucket. Huger wants his guards to be able to just dribble it up through pressure but Plowden wasn't allowing them to do so. I would expect in the future for them to stick Plowden on the other end, let a guard take the ball out and they'll probably be fine. The last couple possessions they inbounded the ball to the middle of the floor, Turner brought the ball up and got fouled and sealed the game.

Maybe Frye would have been able to split the double team and bring the ball up the floor, but I would expect that the next time a team decides to pressure us they will have another plan.
JohnFloyd4Life
Chick
Chick

Postby footballguy51 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:09 pm

Notice they switched the person inbounding the ball to Diggs as well.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Previous

Return to Men's Hoops