@ Akron (2/11)

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Re: @ Akron (2/11)

Postby Falconwriter » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:13 am

apollo wrote:
Globetrotter wrote:
guest44 wrote:Will it be fair to criticize the coach for losing his 2nd leading scorer, a senior he recruited, on a team in first place with 8 games to play? Or is Huger still immune to criticism?

100%. I don't think he can definitely take all of the criticism because we have no idea what happened but there is something here. Mike Huger is the khakis of pants. The Andy Dalton of QBs. This team is going nowhere.

It’s definitely fair to criticize many facets of the program and Michael Huger. I never felt like he was the answer for BG Basketball. Despite my initial thoughts, in reality, he’s putting together successful seasons back to back years. I don’t know how Dylan Frye quitting can be put on him....obviously nobody knows the real story, but seems like there is some type of personal issue going on, not a conflict with the coaching staff.

I don’t think that Huger deserved any extension after last year, but he’s at least got BG respectable.

Is the goal really to be "respectable"?

This program hasn't gone to the NCAA tourney in more than half a century and counting, and is only one of about five programs in the entire country with that kind of record for futility. It's downright embarrassing. And no, Huger should not have been extended...many of us said that at the time; and certainly not extended two years based on one good season.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:33 am

Falconwriter wrote:
apollo wrote:
Globetrotter wrote:
guest44 wrote:Will it be fair to criticize the coach for losing his 2nd leading scorer, a senior he recruited, on a team in first place with 8 games to play? Or is Huger still immune to criticism?

100%. I don't think he can definitely take all of the criticism because we have no idea what happened but there is something here. Mike Huger is the khakis of pants. The Andy Dalton of QBs. This team is going nowhere.

It’s definitely fair to criticize many facets of the program and Michael Huger. I never felt like he was the answer for BG Basketball. Despite my initial thoughts, in reality, he’s putting together successful seasons back to back years. I don’t know how Dylan Frye quitting can be put on him....obviously nobody knows the real story, but seems like there is some type of personal issue going on, not a conflict with the coaching staff.

I don’t think that Huger deserved any extension after last year, but he’s at least got BG respectable.

Is the goal really to be "respectable"?

This program hasn't gone to the NCAA tourney in more than half a century and counting, and is only one of about five programs in the entire country with that kind of record for futility. It's downright embarrassing. And no, Huger should not have been extended...many of us said that at the time; and certainly not extended two years based on one good season.

BG basketball just loooves being Mediocre. We've been mediocre for 20 years. We're damned good at it. Rarely at the top or bottom of the MAC. Never able to put that one tourney run together to get into the dance, rarely even considered one of the favorites to win that tourney by the time it rolls around.

Huger to Dalton is a pretty good comparison to me. He's not an awful coach. We could (and have) do far worse. But is he good enough to get us to the dance? I'm very skeptical. But he's also not bad enough that this program so steeped in mediocrity will ever move on.

It's really the perfect example how differently football and basketball are treated at BG. BG football is a rollercoaster, either competing for MAC championships or one of the worst teams in FBS. When Jinks and Brandon were destroying the program they were jettisoned. Yet the basketball program continued to let Dakich and Orr coach out their contracts...no reason to even TRY to win the MAC.

We're gonna have Huger for awhile. He's not bad enough to ever get fired, and he's not nearly good enough to land a bigger job. Winning 20 games a year by playing weak OOC schedules looks nice on paper, but it's not what I want to see.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby BPardonMyTake » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:51 am

More so than this 1 loss I am concerned with other coaches watching last nights film. Seemed simple, double team Turner, make him uncomfortable, make other guys beat you. We still give up way too many layups and cannot defend the pick and roll to save our lives.

At any rate, I still think we have the most potential out of any team in this league. Interior defense is crazy frustrating and we have a terrible habit of letting one opposing player kill us offensively (M. Jackson, Teague, Dileo, etc), but I am still all in on this squad.

I will see you all in Cleveland.
Class of '15. Former Townie---Come from a long line of Falcons.
BPardonMyTake
Egg
Egg

Postby guest44 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:52 am

The first place team in the MAC lost its 2nd leading scorer, quitting the team. 48 to 72 hours after no reasoning has been given, the Toledo Blade writes a token article to appease Jason Knavel about how the NET rankings are treating BG unfairly. Round and round we go. I don’t know, maybe the school leader in 3 pointers you just created a montage for a week earlier, is the bigger story.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby JohnFloyd4Life » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:53 pm

Maybe our coaches haven't pursued them but why don't we ever get transfers or grad transfers. Akron, Buffalo, Kent, Toledo all have transfers and/or grad transfers playing significant roles on their teams this year. We have always gotten JUCOs and outside of Martin Samarco off the top of my head, they have all been average or below-average players. I can't think of a transfer we've gotten since Nate Miller, he and John Reimold were both successful transfers but that's been a while. I don't think we've ever gotten a grad transfer since that rule change made them available.
JohnFloyd4Life
Chick
Chick

Postby Siborg » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:49 pm

JohnFloyd4Life wrote:Maybe our coaches haven't pursued them but why don't we ever get transfers or grad transfers. Akron, Buffalo, Kent, Toledo all have transfers and/or grad transfers playing significant roles on their teams this year. We have always gotten JUCOs and outside of Martin Samarco off the top of my head, they have all been average or below-average players. I can't think of a transfer we've gotten since Nate Miller, he and John Reimold were both successful transfers but that's been a while. I don't think we've ever gotten a grad transfer since that rule change made them available.

Were Spencer Parker and Rachaun Holmes xfers or JUCOs?
Siborg
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby footballguy51 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:39 pm

Siborg wrote:
JohnFloyd4Life wrote:Maybe our coaches haven't pursued them but why don't we ever get transfers or grad transfers. Akron, Buffalo, Kent, Toledo all have transfers and/or grad transfers playing significant roles on their teams this year. We have always gotten JUCOs and outside of Martin Samarco off the top of my head, they have all been average or below-average players. I can't think of a transfer we've gotten since Nate Miller, he and John Reimold were both successful transfers but that's been a while. I don't think we've ever gotten a grad transfer since that rule change made them available.

Were Spencer Parker and Rachaun Holmes xfers or JUCOs?

I'm about 90% positive Holmes was JUCO.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Globetrotter » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:15 pm

Holmes was a 1 year juco
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby Globetrotter » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:16 pm

Swingle is a Xfer and they expected big things.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby zete » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:36 pm

Wondering if Frye is still in BG or long gone.
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:02 pm

Globetrotter wrote:

Swingle is a Xfer and they expected big things.

He was definitely a transfer. And I've yet to see anything about him that screams dominant MAC player. Feet are just too slow...too much reaching/fouling. Not nearly enough athleticism to guard any Centers that can step out and shoot.

I do really like his touch, and feel like his size/strength should be an asset in the paint for rebounds, but he's been a defensive liability right now.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Class of 61 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:01 pm

Are there not two more transfers on this roster besides Swingle? I’m counting JUCO.
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BleedOrange » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:55 pm

Spencer was a freshman. Holmes spent 1 year in juco.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby Class of 61 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:09 pm

Laster ; Diggs, Sierra are all transfers, so 4 total on roster. I’d originally said 2 more besides Swingle.
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby JohnFloyd4Life » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:34 pm

Duh, don't know why I forgot Swingle was a transfer.
JohnFloyd4Life
Chick
Chick

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops