@ Akron (2/11)

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Re: @ Akron (2/11)

Postby mbenecke » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:47 pm

Falcons lose another Tuesday night game.

This team needs to figure out how they're going to run their offense without Frye. We need to win at least 4 more to have a chance at the 1-seed.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:53 pm

Akron has now beaten BG in 29 of the last 32 meetings. That's not a typo, BG has won just 3 times in the last 32 meetings. It's incredible/embarrassing to have that kind of result against any conference foe.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:54 pm

Will it be fair to criticize the coach for losing his 2nd leading scorer, a senior he recruited, on a team in first place with 8 games to play? Or is Huger still immune to criticism?
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Globetrotter » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:55 pm

hammb wrote:
BGSU33 wrote:Fields are Laster are getting exposed for what they can't do, which is score from outside. They are no threat and Akron knows it which is why they can double down on Turner and live with it. Laster hasn't hit a single three all season and Fields is iffy at best to knock down a perimeter jumper and he's not a scorer to begin with. Diggs is MIA again from outside which only feeds into it. Someone is going to need to step up and score, even if it's collectively, We can't rely on just two guys.

Bingo.

Unfortunately without Frye this team will only win games when the role players hit shots. All of them had plenty of opportunities and they were clunking brick after brick.

Specifically this game was over when Akron decided I'd they stop guarding Sierra he'll shoot. And on three straight possessions he went brick brick brick.

Ballgame

This team only would win games if Three's went in. They have a rec league offense.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby Globetrotter » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:57 pm

guest44 wrote:Will it be fair to criticize the coach for losing his 2nd leading scorer, a senior he recruited, on a team in first place with 8 games to play? Or is Huger still immune to criticism?

100%. I don't think he can definitely take all of the criticism because we have no idea what happened but there is something here. Mike Huger is the khakis of pants. The Andy Dalton of QBs. This team is going nowhere.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby BGSU33 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:58 pm

mbenecke wrote:Falcons lose another Tuesday night game.

This team needs to figure out how they're going to run their offense without Frye.

The bottom line is, we can't replace what we've lost in Frye. This isn't the case of a next-guy-up scenario because none of the next guys behind Frye can fill that void. Tonight, they couldn't even do it collectively. Akron just provided the blueprint, and others will follow.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:03 pm

Maybe the media will ask Huger if he thinks he could have done anything different to get Frye not to quit the team with 8 games to go in his senior season, with the team in 1st place. Seems like a fair question.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BleedOrange » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:00 pm

Look people....a senior pg left the squad and we're injecting an under used but talented freshman into the role. There WILL be transition until Zeigler adapts, and he will adapt. You can't expect immediate results.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby Globetrotter » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:21 pm

BleedOrange wrote:Look people....a senior pg left the squad and we're injecting an under used but talented freshman into the role. There WILL be transition until Zeigler adapts, and he will adapt. You can't expect immediate results.

Or you start the senior.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby guest44 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:48 am

Ziegler will be fine. My questions aren’t for Frye. My questions are all for Huger. He is the person who has made north of 2 million dollars at BGSU. What could he have done to prevent a school record holder from quitting a first place team with 8 games remaining? The idea Huger gets to put out a one liner typed by a 8 year old, and all is good, is a joke. This type of stuff used to happen under Dakich and we had no problem burying him for it.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby apollo » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:58 am

Globetrotter wrote:
guest44 wrote:Will it be fair to criticize the coach for losing his 2nd leading scorer, a senior he recruited, on a team in first place with 8 games to play? Or is Huger still immune to criticism?

100%. I don't think he can definitely take all of the criticism because we have no idea what happened but there is something here. Mike Huger is the khakis of pants. The Andy Dalton of QBs. This team is going nowhere.

It’s definitely fair to criticize many facets of the program and Michael Huger. I never felt like he was the answer for BG Basketball. Despite my initial thoughts, in reality, he’s putting together successful seasons back to back years. I don’t know how Dylan Frye quitting can be put on him....obviously nobody knows the real story, but seems like there is some type of personal issue going on, not a conflict with the coaching staff.

I don’t think that Huger deserved any extension after last year, but he’s at least got BG respectable.
apollo
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby apollo » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:04 am

I doubt Huger gets final say on what is released to the media in this situation. Sports Info bears that responsibility and Jason Knavel’s approach is always to release nothing and hope it goes away.
apollo
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:15 am

We’ve all seen what It looked like before Turner and also when Turner was hurt. I can’t imagine a scenario where this isn’t a conflict between Huger and Frye. If you have watched the interaction around the bench this season, it hasn’t looked right. Again, that’s coaching. As for how sports info goes, nobody takes advantage of the lack of media coverage like them. Outside of Mike Jinks, it’s become borderline distributed propaganda at this point.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Matty B » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:32 am

Man, here we are sitting in 1st place in the MAC starting a freshman, 2 sophomores and 2 juniors. We have 1 bad shooting night on the road and all of a sudden Huger cant coach and this team is going nowhere???

R-E-L-A-X.
LONG LIVE THE MONGOOSE!!
Matty B
Chick
Chick

Postby hammb » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:45 am

Globetrotter wrote:
BleedOrange wrote:Look people....a senior pg left the squad and we're injecting an under used but talented freshman into the role. There WILL be transition until Zeigler adapts, and he will adapt. You can't expect immediate results.

Or you start the senior.

I don't think it matters which of them really starts, but Zeigler needs to be the one that starts getting more minutes. The way Akron defended Laster last night was just hysterical. As soon as he caught the ball they basically just packed in the paint and dared him to shoot, which he cannot do. Laster is great as an energy backup PG, but if he's your primary ball handler for 25 minutes a night you're cooked. It's ESPECIALLY difficult to play him with Fields and Mattos...you cannot have 3 of your starting 5 be virtually zero threat to score.

At least when Laster is out there with the backups he has Mattis K., and Diggs who are decent catch 'n' shoot options on the perimeter.

What it really boils down to is losing Frye took our #2/3 scoring option away. Nothing we do now is going to replace that, short of Zeigler showing that he was an underutilized phenom and he starts scoring 10+ppg. I don't think that's likely, so we need to find Frye's points from the guys that were already playing. That means when Laster/Turner/Zeigler drive and kick the ball out to wide open Mattis, Diggs, and Fields they need to be shooting 35-40% on wide open catch 'n' shoot threes. That's not asking that much. Last night they were 3-13 combined. That obviously doesn't include the one that didn't count since Diggs went out of bounds. And 2 of those makes were Fields when the game was essentially over.

I don't have a problem with the offense relying on 3 point shooting, but if that's going to be the plan the guys you're relying on should be good shooters. Sierra should never be shooting them. Fields probably shouldn't be either. They certainly shouldn't combine for 11 attempts like last night. I like Mattis and Diggs shooting, they just had bad nights. I would like to see Plowden become a larger focus of the offense, personally. He's a good shooter and really the best multiple threat on the team.

Truthfully, the fact that all of our bad shooters had too many shots, and our good shooters had rough nights all boils down to the fact that Akron played really good defense. We didn't make it as hard on them as we should have, but they're a good team and MAC road games are tough. We need to bounce back.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops