Dylan Frye Leaves BGSU Basketball

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Re: Dylan Frye Leaves BGSU Basketball

Postby WhiteBarksdale » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:00 am

BPardonmytake is the real MVP. Thank you for simply reading.

Mbenecke, I’m rooting for you.

IM NOT CALLING FRYE A QUITTER.

I’m just saying that if he ever rejoins the team, he should never start. I’m not even sold on him playing any substantial minutes whatsoever.

We all hope he’s fine, of course we do ffs. But you don’t have to keep typing it. We get it.

Truthfully. Outside of loss of parent or close relative, there’s not many good reasons to leave the team and abandon the the scholarship. If it were something legitimate, it would’ve been obvious.

Thus it’s honestly obvious that Dylan’s reasoning here isn’t really good enough to abandon his team. Even if you lose a loved one, that doesn’t mean you quit the team. You can just not play or practice for a time.

I loved Dylan Frye. But as a coach, when a player leaves a team, that s**t is very likely permanent. You can’t have that precedent.
WhiteBarksdale
Egg
Egg

Postby guest44 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:45 am

That kind of precedent is very unfavorable. Kind of like receiving a contract extension after giving the the Associate AD’s kid his only D1 roster spot. You wouldn’t want the perception of doing certain people favors over others.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Globetrotter » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:50 am

guest44 wrote:That kind of precedent is very unfavorable. Kind of like receiving a contract extension after giving the the Associate AD’s kid his only D1 roster spot. You wouldn’t want the perception of doing certain people favors over others.

You mean the 6-4 kid who was the all time leading scorer at the local high school got a walk on? Who would ever think that would happen.

This take makes no sense.

A 2019 graduate of Bowling Green High School … Four-year letterwinner for coaches Erik Marshall and Marshal Headley … Also lettered in baseball and golf … Two-time All-Conference, All-District and Honorable Mention All-Ohio selection on the basketball floor … BGHS all-time leader in career points (1,390), three-point field goals (163) and consecutive varsity starts (82) … Captain of the team over his final three seasons as a Bobcat … Averaged 21.0 points and 6.0 rebounds as a senior … Averaged 19.0 points and 5.0 rebounds as a junior … Posted averages of 15.0 points and 4.0 rebounds as a sophomore.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby guest44 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:53 am

Yep, the kid that will never see meaningful minutes. Has already been recruited over twice. And like Ethan Good, will get a roster spot as a favor for a higher up at BGSU. This is BGSU.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Globetrotter » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:01 am

guest44 wrote:Yep, the kid that will never see meaningful minutes. Has already been recruited over twice. And like Ethan Good, will get a roster spot as a favor for a higher up at BGSU. This is BGSU.

You know what walk ons do right?

I feel like I am talking to an alien that just bumped into college basketball.

He is the all time leading scorer at the local High School in a college town. That guy should ALWAYS have a walk on spot at the local college. ALWAYS.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby guest44 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:05 am

Hahaha how stupid are you Globe? He went to BGHS? They’ve put 2 kids in D1 college basketball in 35 years. Have you watched him play? Ever. Go study his recruiting video all day? Then give me the projected roster for 2028 with some Moosebrugger at small forward.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Globetrotter » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:32 am

guest44 wrote:Hahaha how stupid are you Globe? He went to BGHS? They’ve put 2 kids in D1 college basketball in 35 years. Have you watched him play? Ever. Go study his recruiting video all day? Then give me the projected roster for 2028 with some Moosebrugger at small forward.

There isn't an expectation that he plays. He is there to practice and get good grades.

They have put 3 kids into D1 in the last 15 years atleast.

His highlight video is pretty nice. He is a decent player that I think could contribute despite the lack of a need for him to.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/6756759/Isaac-Elsasser
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby drumstix2388 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:21 am

Globetrotter wrote:
guest44 wrote:Hahaha how stupid are you Globe? He went to BGHS? They’ve put 2 kids in D1 college basketball in 35 years. Have you watched him play? Ever. Go study his recruiting video all day? Then give me the projected roster for 2028 with some Moosebrugger at small forward.

There isn't an expectation that he plays. He is there to practice and get good grades.

His highlight video is pretty nice. He is a decent player that I think could contribute despite the lack of a need for him to.

+1. He isn't taking up a scholarship and fits the exact mold of what a workhorse walk-on looks like. He's always one of the first on his feet, along with Ethan Good, whenever someone does something positive. He's a great guy to have on the team. Garbage take by guest.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:33 am

Globetrotter wrote:

It's not like the University doesn't have a history of doing this:

https://bgsufalcons.com/sports/mens-ice ... -rich/7813
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/535071/brett-rich

And while Rich hasn't played a single minute in a regular season game*, he's an integral part of the team, practices hard, is great to have in the locker room, and will likely graduate with honors. Pretty much sums up Globe's point.

*His only playing time so far was during an exhibition game. When he went in, the team went crazy.
2-time BGSU Intramural Curling Champion.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:45 am

TalonsUpPuckDown wrote:

And while Rich hasn't played a single minute in a regular season game*, he's an integral part of the team, practices hard, is great to have in the locker room, and will likely graduate with honors. Pretty much sums up Globe's point.

*His only playing time so far was during an exhibition game. When he went in, the team went crazy.

If you're trying to establish a history, you should consider Noel Crawford.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:55 am

pdt1081 wrote:
TalonsUpPuckDown wrote:

If you're trying to establish a history, you should consider Noel Crawford.

Touche'!
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:48 pm

Love Rich. Great team guy to have around.

There's a mutual understanding with walk-ons that they'll probably never see playing time, but they can still contribute to the team in practice, on the road, etc.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:01 pm

mbenecke wrote:Love Rich. Great team guy to have around.

There's a mutual understanding with walk-ons that they'll probably never see playing time, but they can still contribute to the team in practice, on the road, etc.

He also helps keep alive the string of single syllable goaltender names:
Burke
Nell
Rich
Dop
Rose
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Previous

Return to Men's Hoops