Dylan Frye Leaves BGSU Basketball

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Re: Dylan Frye Leaves BGSU Basketball

Postby mbenecke » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:51 am

"Soft" is a hilarious insult from behind a username and keyboard.

I'm not trying to argue with anybody on this. I just find a number of the comments here completely insensitive considering we know next to nothing about the situation, so calling a guy a quitter is messed up. Maybe I'm sticking up for the guy because I have spent my entire time here with him, but come on now - he's a 21/22 year old kid. Can we stop with the insults and the speculation when we have absolutely idea what is wrong?

For all we know, it could have been something absolutely awful, which would have caused ANY of us to walk away. I don't even want to speculate because I can't imagine what he's going through to have to leave the program at this point. Obviously it's difficult timing for US, but WE aren't HIM.

When guys come into this program, I support them fully - both on and off the court. If he needed to step away to get right, for ANY reason, he has a right to do so and a right to privacy. We have zero right to know anything about his personal life if he isn't sharing.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
User avatar
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 2248
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:48 pm
Location: Bowling Green

Re: Dylan Frye Leaves BGSU Basketball

Postby Matty B » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:11 am

Frye talked to the media Thursday, nothing seemed unusual, and left the team Friday.

Have we ruled out the possibility that Huger told him they were making a change and starting Ziegler, and then he walked out?

Given the lack of other info, and the fact that Ziegler is starting, not Laster, idk.. just a thought.
LONG LIVE THE MONGOOSE!!
User avatar
Matty B
Chick
Chick
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:22 pm

Re: Dylan Frye Leaves BGSU Basketball

Postby guest44 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:41 am

Frye played one of the worst defensive games I’ve seen at CMU. Clearly, they just wanted to put him on the ball in pick & roll and get whatever shot they wanted. They could have scored 100. Frye losing the starting spot could have caused it. I have heard from multiple people he was not happy with Huger.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:27 pm

Re: Dylan Frye Leaves BGSU Basketball

Postby hammb » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:51 am

Matty B wrote:Frye talked to the media Thursday, nothing seemed unusual, and left the team Friday.

Have we ruled out the possibility that Huger told him they were making a change and starting Ziegler, and then he walked out?

Given the lack of other info, and the fact that Ziegler is starting, not Laster, idk.. just a thought.


That was my speculation to my wife as well. Ziegler had been playing well in short spurts the last week or two, and Frye had been struggling. She's a massive Dylan Frye fan and I suggested to her that I wonder if it didn't start by him being told Ziegler was going to start taking some of his minutes. I don't know if this is true at all, but it wouldn't shock me. THAT would paint Frye in a pretty bad light, although there is definitely some onus on coaching to manage minutes/egos such that you don't lose players down the stretch.

I also tend to think Huger's non-committal answer about having a spot open for Frye if he returns would lend itself to NOT being a family emergency, etc. I mean if a kid wanted to go home to be with his family for some reason there is no way you'd deny his return, would you ?
User avatar
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries
 
Posts: 12725
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:21 am
Location: Bowling Green

Re: Dylan Frye Leaves BGSU Basketball

Postby guest44 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:04 am

His answer to whether he would be allowed to return is the main reason Huger should be answering more questions.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:27 pm

Re: Dylan Frye Leaves BGSU Basketball

Postby Falconwriter » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:23 am

Globetrotter wrote:Huger needs to be questioned. He won't be because we will win 20 games. But his teams are all the same.

Bad offensive system.
Timid.
Don't dictate anything to anyone offensively or defensively.
Win if they make threes, Lose if they don't.
Can't develop more than a few players at a time.
Rely heavily on star players,
Get very lazy on offense and don't move without the ball.
And now under his watch a senior with 2 weeks to go in his career left. We don't know why but for any reason that's an issue.

When you watch us play other teams you see the difference.
Other teams are aggresive----we're timid.
Other teams have offensive systems that get guys open---we just try to get three pointers.


All of this is why I have been skeptical BG could break that embarrassing NCAA tourney drought so long as Huger is the coach. He can recruit decent talent to campus, but he's simply not a good basketball COACH. Good coaches are able to develop players and incorporate systems that improve the team, depending on what type of personnel they have. That's not what Huger has shown to be strengths in his time at BGSU.

I love this university and all of its sports teams but, sadly, I don't see that NCAA famine ending anytime soon.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
User avatar
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:37 am
Location: Columbus

Re: Dylan Frye Leaves BGSU Basketball

Postby BPardonMyTake » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:34 am

mbenecke wrote:"Soft" is a hilarious insult from behind a username and keyboard.

I'm not trying to argue with anybody on this. I just find a number of the comments here completely insensitive considering we know next to nothing about the situation, so calling a guy a quitter is messed up. Maybe I'm sticking up for the guy because I have spent my entire time here with him, but come on now - he's a 21/22 year old kid. Can we stop with the insults and the speculation when we have absolutely idea what is wrong?

For all we know, it could have been something absolutely awful, which would have caused ANY of us to walk away. I don't even want to speculate because I can't imagine what he's going through to have to leave the program at this point. Obviously it's difficult timing for US, but WE aren't HIM.

When guys come into this program, I support them fully - both on and off the court. If he needed to step away to get right, for ANY reason, he has a right to do so and a right to privacy. We have zero right to know anything about his personal life if he isn't sharing.




Perhaps a little hypocritical to be coming at people on here for their respective views literally "behind a username and keyboard". Just because you don't use your trigger word of "soft" doesn't mean you aren't doing exactly what the person you're responding to did. Also, did I miss someone's post calling him a quitter? I have not seen one person directly attack Dylan on here which honestly surprises me to some extent, given every report we've gotten, including Nick P's seemingly normal interview with Frye last Thursday and Huger's answer of "we'll see" when asked if Dylan would be allowed to come back. That to me sounds like we will wait and see if the team wants him back if he does express interest in returning. Not at all saying I think people SHOULD be attacking him, more so surprised people aren't as opinionated given the overall bizarre nature of this situation.

Seems to me that everyone's opinion on here is more or less 'I hope Dylan is ok, he's a great kid, but here is why this situation sucks.' Sure, I could see where the booty comment may have rubbed some people the wrong way, but no one is cursing his name or wishing bad things upon him. Can you imagine if Devon Dotson or Vernon Carey left their team mid season with no confirmation on what actually happened? You think Kansas and Duke fan bases would take an oath of silence due to this idea that no one is allowed to give their 2 cents given lack of information? I get what you're saying and agree, Dylan's a human and has the right to do whatever the hell he wants to do if he deems it necessary. But to say that nobody is allowed to talk about it or speculate as to what happened is extremely naive.
Class of '15. Former Townie---Come from a long line of Falcons.
BPardonMyTake
Egg
Egg
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:52 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Dylan Frye Leaves BGSU Basketball

Postby BPardonMyTake » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:38 am

hammb wrote:
Matty B wrote:Frye talked to the media Thursday, nothing seemed unusual, and left the team Friday.

Have we ruled out the possibility that Huger told him they were making a change and starting Ziegler, and then he walked out?

Given the lack of other info, and the fact that Ziegler is starting, not Laster, idk.. just a thought.


That was my speculation to my wife as well. Ziegler had been playing well in short spurts the last week or two, and Frye had been struggling. She's a massive Dylan Frye fan and I suggested to her that I wonder if it didn't start by him being told Ziegler was going to start taking some of his minutes. I don't know if this is true at all, but it wouldn't shock me. THAT would paint Frye in a pretty bad light, although there is definitely some onus on coaching to manage minutes/egos such that you don't lose players down the stretch.

I also tend to think Huger's non-committal answer about having a spot open for Frye if he returns would lend itself to NOT being a family emergency, etc. I mean if a kid wanted to go home to be with his family for some reason there is no way you'd deny his return, would you ?






Exactly. Answering "we'll see" when asked if he'd be allowed to come back implies he'd have to earn back some trust and or respect to get back on the squad.
Class of '15. Former Townie---Come from a long line of Falcons.
BPardonMyTake
Egg
Egg
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:52 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Dylan Frye Leaves BGSU Basketball

Postby factman » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:47 am

hammb wrote:
Matty B wrote:Frye talked to the media Thursday, nothing seemed unusual, and left the team Friday.

Have we ruled out the possibility that Huger told him they were making a change and starting Ziegler, and then he walked out?

Given the lack of other info, and the fact that Ziegler is starting, not Laster, idk.. just a thought.


That was my speculation to my wife as well. Ziegler had been playing well in short spurts the last week or two, and Frye had been struggling. She's a massive Dylan Frye fan and I suggested to her that I wonder if it didn't start by him being told Ziegler was going to start taking some of his minutes. I don't know if this is true at all, but it wouldn't shock me. THAT would paint Frye in a pretty bad light, although there is definitely some onus on coaching to manage minutes/egos such that you don't lose players down the stretch.

I also tend to think Huger's non-committal answer about having a spot open for Frye if he returns would lend itself to NOT being a family emergency, etc. I mean if a kid wanted to go home to be with his family for some reason there is no way you'd deny his return, would you ?

My thoughts EXACTLY, hammb!
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 4292
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:53 pm
Location: Bowling Green

Re: Dylan Frye Leaves BGSU Basketball

Postby BleedOrange » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:54 am

We have no hard facts at all about why Frye left the program. We've discussed 2 plausible explanations, but they are both wildly speculative and could be completely wrong.

We don't know what Frye is going thru, and it might be far worse than we guess. This speculation isn't good for Frye nor anyone else. Out of compassion for Frye, I suggest that we put a cap on this wild speculation, accept the uncertainty, and enjoy the fact that we still have a good team.
User avatar
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer
 
Posts: 2609
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:51 pm
Location: Copley, Ohio

Re: Dylan Frye Leaves BGSU Basketball

Postby guest44 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:16 pm

If Frye is allowed back on the team, will he need to “earn” his uniform the same way Austin Gardner (Randy’s kid) or Isaac Elsasser (Jim Associate AD’s kid did?
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:27 pm

Re: Dylan Frye Leaves BGSU Basketball

Postby Siborg » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:41 pm

factman wrote:
hammb wrote:
Matty B wrote:Frye talked to the media Thursday, nothing seemed unusual, and left the team Friday.

Have we ruled out the possibility that Huger told him they were making a change and starting Ziegler, and then he walked out?

Given the lack of other info, and the fact that Ziegler is starting, not Laster, idk.. just a thought.


That was my speculation to my wife as well. Ziegler had been playing well in short spurts the last week or two, and Frye had been struggling. She's a massive Dylan Frye fan and I suggested to her that I wonder if it didn't start by him being told Ziegler was going to start taking some of his minutes. I don't know if this is true at all, but it wouldn't shock me. THAT would paint Frye in a pretty bad light, although there is definitely some onus on coaching to manage minutes/egos such that you don't lose players down the stretch.

I also tend to think Huger's non-committal answer about having a spot open for Frye if he returns would lend itself to NOT being a family emergency, etc. I mean if a kid wanted to go home to be with his family for some reason there is no way you'd deny his return, would you ?

My thoughts EXACTLY, hammb!

Adding to the fact that he left......he also made a comment recently about 'so many substitutions' or something to that effect which was a small unguarded statement for a senior.

Also remember a couple years ago he was moved to PG from his more natural SG position. My question then was...........Did that contribute to Crawford's and Cumming's decision to leave after that season or was that a known and the move was to build for the future? Likely the former, I guess. That makes this a more interesting departure to me because Frye has been on both sides of a similar personnel change.........again, all speculation when i connect the two personnel changes (one actually happened, the other is speculation).

Whatever his reasons I wish him well.

Question, does anyone know where Nellie Cummings went? I know Crawford and Koch went to Ashland.
Siborg
Fledgling
Fledgling
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:51 pm

Re: Dylan Frye Leaves BGSU Basketball

Postby drumstix2388 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:05 pm

Siborg wrote:
factman wrote:
hammb wrote:
Matty B wrote:Frye talked to the media Thursday, nothing seemed unusual, and left the team Friday.

Have we ruled out the possibility that Huger told him they were making a change and starting Ziegler, and then he walked out?

Given the lack of other info, and the fact that Ziegler is starting, not Laster, idk.. just a thought.


That was my speculation to my wife as well. Ziegler had been playing well in short spurts the last week or two, and Frye had been struggling. She's a massive Dylan Frye fan and I suggested to her that I wonder if it didn't start by him being told Ziegler was going to start taking some of his minutes. I don't know if this is true at all, but it wouldn't shock me. THAT would paint Frye in a pretty bad light, although there is definitely some onus on coaching to manage minutes/egos such that you don't lose players down the stretch.

I also tend to think Huger's non-committal answer about having a spot open for Frye if he returns would lend itself to NOT being a family emergency, etc. I mean if a kid wanted to go home to be with his family for some reason there is no way you'd deny his return, would you ?

My thoughts EXACTLY, hammb!

Adding to the fact that he left......he also made a comment recently about 'so many substitutions' or something to that effect which was a small unguarded statement for a senior.

Also remember a couple years ago he was moved to PG from his more natural SG position. My question then was...........Did that contribute to Crawford's and Cumming's decision to leave after that season or was that a known and the move was to build for the future? Likely the former, I guess. That makes this a more interesting departure to me because Frye has been on both sides of a similar personnel change.........again, all speculation when i connect the two personnel changes (one actually happened, the other is speculation).

Whatever his reasons I wish him well.

Question, does anyone know where Nellie Cummings went? I know Crawford and Koch went to Ashland.


Cummings is with Colgate now, and having a really solid season for them. He's much closer to home, which was what he originally said the reason for transferring was.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
User avatar
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 1153
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:57 am
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: Dylan Frye Leaves BGSU Basketball

Postby zete » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:44 pm

Wondering if Frye is still in BG or long gone.
SAme old Same old
User avatar
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 1107
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:00 pm

Re: Dylan Frye Leaves BGSU Basketball

Postby BGSU33 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:07 pm

zete wrote:Wondering if Frye is still in BG or long gone.


No idea, but he's long gone from the roster.
GO BG!!!
User avatar
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 9453
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:29 am
Location: Charlottesville, VA

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest