Dylan Frye Leaves BGSU Basketball

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Re: Dylan Frye Leaves BGSU Basketball

Postby footballguy51 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:10 pm

Flipper wrote:18 years ago I would have chuckled at a remark like the 'booty" joke. As the father of an 18 year old daughter who's dealing with some pretty serious baggage from an encounter with that mind set...well...Times have changed.

That said...I don't think the op had any truly malicious intent...maybe just a bit insensitive. I'm the LAST person who could call someone out for that

Exactly. I'm sure there was no malicious intent. I will say, that is a statement that is inappropriate; it is recognized as inappropriate by more and more people in today's world. Now, the appropriate thing to do is point out that the remark was inappropriate and should not be used anymore. Instead, it was pointed out that the remark was inappropriate, the op was closed-minded, and their mother should be ashamed of them. You cannot expect a positive reaction from that approach.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby zete » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:22 am

footballguy51 wrote:
Flipper wrote:18 years ago I would have chuckled at a remark like the 'booty" joke. As the father of an 18 year old daughter who's dealing with some pretty serious baggage from an encounter with that mind set...well...Times have changed.

That said...I don't think the op had any truly malicious intent...maybe just a bit insensitive. I'm the LAST person who could call someone out for that

Exactly. I'm sure there was no malicious intent. I will say, that is a statement that is inappropriate; it is recognized as inappropriate by more and more people in today's world. Now, the appropriate thing to do is point out that the remark was inappropriate and should not be used anymore. Instead, it was pointed out that the remark was inappropriate, the op was closed-minded, and their mother should be ashamed of them. You cannot expect a positive reaction from that approach.

Has Frye stated he left the team due to emotional problems due to a break-up?
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:28 am

How has nobody in the media gotten any further explanation on what happened? I mean did you see the statement sent out by BGSU at the game. I almost give them credit for this.
Attachments
04D9A9D7-3084-43BA-80B2-6BA88CCEB6B0.jpeg
04D9A9D7-3084-43BA-80B2-6BA88CCEB6B0.jpeg (142.99 KiB) Viewed 482 times
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:03 am

There have been no details, which is why I think it's wrong to speculate. At least until (or if) we get some info.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Beaker » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:53 am

Diemilkweed wrote:@Bleedorange.

Nope - not fake, not woke, not virtue signalling. What I am is tired of seeing people drop bigoted hate speech like it's OK. And "piece of booty" was not a joke at all. It was hate speech toward women by someone either too ignorant to know better, or who thought he'd get away without getting called out in a sports discussion group.

The simple fact that you used the term "virtue signalling" alone is repulsive. Literally the only people who do that are bigoted pigs. Trying desperately to validate their hateful views.

That line was actually worse than "piece of booty" because it implies that anyone standing up for anyone else is a fraud and weak.

In a discussion about a young man and his health and his future, ripping on anyone for anything is totally out of place. Standing up against that kind of bullshit is exactly what is required for everyone else to remain healthy.

The original comment was in bad taste and unnecessary, but he was not advocating the rape of women or other crimes against humanity. It was a poor joke made with no ill intent and no one has ripped the young man for his decision. None of us know the details about what led him to leave the team, but I'm sure we all wish him well and that he gets past whatever he's dealing with. This forum is supposed to be about discussing BG athletics. It would be nice to keep it that way. Any racist, sexist comments, name calling, insults, political opinions and the lectures on how to be righteous and of high moral character all have a home on twitter or facebook and should be kept there. I enjoy coming to this site to avoid all of that and just talk BG sports.

Go Falcons, beat Akron!
Beaker
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:37 am

zete wrote:Has Frye stated he left the team due to emotional problems due to a break-up?

No. He has not.

Given that fact, some of this thread feels cringeworthy to me.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby hammb » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:31 am

Schadenfreude wrote:
zete wrote:Has Frye stated he left the team due to emotional problems due to a break-up?

No. He has not.

Given that fact, some of this thread feels cringeworthy to me.

I find it especially cringeworthy considering a quick look on Twitter makes me think that their "break-up" may not even actually be true, let alone all this bullshit that it caused him to leave the team.

Could their relationship be having issues? Sure. Could they be broken up? sure. Could that be the reason he's no longer playing here? Sure. Do we have any evidence whatsoever to suggest ANY of these things are true? Not one bit.

I do know that as recently as 2 weeks ago she was still tweeting how proud of him she was, she was still retweeting BG hoops hype/articles/etc. Again, it's perfectly conceivable that they are/were broken up but remain friends so she continues to support him as a player/friend/whatever. Of course, to me, it's just as likely (if not far moreso) that this whole breakup thing is total bullshit and has less than nothing to do with why Frye is no longer on the team.

One thing I do know, unequivocally, is that none of it is our damned business unless Dylan Frye chooses to make it our business. For all we know he had a family emergency in Florida, or he decided he just doesn't like the color orange anymore. The ONLY fact in this entire thread is that he no longer plays for BG, and I suspect it will continue to be the only fact in this thread for a very long time. Discussing other peoples' relationships and how they effect our fandom seems childish and petty to me. And given that we don't even have any FACTS about their relationship? Just makes it that much worse, IMO.

Now back to your gossip speculation...
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby mbenecke » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:38 am

Thank you for that, hammb. ^^
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby JohnFloyd4Life » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:41 am

This is absolutely something people are going to speculate on given the fact that its probably the most dramatic thing of this nature that has occurred in school history, obviously none of our business and I'm sure we'll all find out someday.

In terms of basketball, it will be interesting to see the long term effects of this for this team. I think in some aspects increased minutes for Laster and Zeigler will be an improvement. Zeigler is extremely athletic and he and Fields together make for great on the ball defense and could result in defensive improvement. What they both lack obviously is Frye's ability to drop 30 on a given night. We all know he had the ability to score but also the tendency to disappear. We aren't going to have him forcing looks on his off nights but also his potential for big scoring and clutch shots. Down the stretch against Toledo the ball essentially never left Turner's hands and with the high aspirations of this team guys like Plowden, Diggs and Matiss are going to have to make those big shots for us now.
JohnFloyd4Life
Chick
Chick

Postby hammb » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:06 pm

I'm actually not certain that we will ever find out what happened. If this were a major program with full time beat reporters, you can bet it would come out. They'd be sending interview requests to the player and everybody close to him. Hell, a thread like this one alone would be enough to be pestering the Girlfriend for information. For bad (and in this case, I think some good) BG doesn't have that sort of media coverage. The guys that cover BG hoops are also covering UT hoops, Walleye hockey, Mud Hens baseball, etc ,etc. We just don't have the media coverage for anybody to dedicate real time to tracking down the story. And, obviously the school/team are never going to offer much more than what they already have. I suspect the current players have been instructed to do the same.

I just doubt that we'll ever get much detail. And because of that speculation is certainly going to happen. It just seems a bit odd to me the way, "I heard he & his gf split" devolved into the board assuming that was the reason for him leaving the program, and then a slew of comments about throwing away his career for a "piece of booty". Which of course follows with the back and forth about whether that's appropriate to discuss, etc, etc. Hell this thread that is almost entirely speculation is the longest hoops conversation we've had on this board all season, amidst what has been a pretty darn successful year.

As for the hoops ramifications I said it way back at the beginning. We gain the ability to play more "true PGs" than what Dylan was. What we lose, however, is another guy that has proven he can take and make the big shots late in games. Turner is a beast, probably the best clutch player BG has had since McLeod. But it's not great that we basically have to hand him the ball and hope he wins it for us everytime we're close. IT was very clear against Toledo that Matiss K & Diggs were NOT yet ready to hit those big time shots in a close game down the stretch. They didn't just miss wide open looks, they were UGLY misses not even close. We're going to need those guys to get some experience and learn to make the plays down the stretch...otherwise we're only going to go wherever Turner can carry us.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby HoopsFan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:03 pm

Aw c'mon! It isn't AZZ if there isn't a bit of snark :-)

When my wife passed away 3 years ago, I clung to basketball and friends to keep me going. I think she helped us win the Toledo game that year :-)

I suppose Dylan will regret this years from now, but that's why we call it experience. It's easy to say that little things like losing a GF isn't the end of the world, but that takes time to realize it.

HoopsFan
HoopsFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Location: I can see the lights of the Football field from here

Postby WhiteBarksdale » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:47 pm

I love Dylan Frye. He has come such a long way since we first saw him.

However, I have an unpopular opinion.

While I hope Dylan figures it out and everything works out for him. His starting spot on the BG team is gone.

And he doesn’t deserve it back. You cannot just walk away from your commitment to the team.

And if/when you do, it shouldn’t be business as usual when you come back.

Even if Dylan comes back, he is a bench player moving forward. Laster honestly deserves the playing time over Ziegler, but I understand Coach’s philosophy regarding Ziegler.
WhiteBarksdale
Egg
Egg

Postby mbenecke » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:34 pm

You have no idea what's going on, so you have no base for making this claim. Can we knock it off with calling him a quitter? We have literally no details. Come on, people. Let's be better than that.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Globetrotter » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:02 pm

Huger needs to be questioned. He won't be because we will win 20 games. But his teams are all the same.

Bad offensive system.
Timid.
Don't dictate anything to anyone offensively or defensively.
Win if they make threes, Lose if they don't.
Can't develop more than a few players at a time.
Rely heavily on star players,
Get very lazy on offense and don't move without the ball.
And now under his watch a senior with 2 weeks to go in his career left. We don't know why but for any reason that's an issue.

When you watch us play other teams you see the difference.
Other teams are aggresive----we're timid.
Other teams have offensive systems that get guys open---we just try to get three pointers.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby WhiteBarksdale » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:14 am

Mbenecke,

You and the other softies on this forum need to stop telling people to keep their opinions to themselves. We can speculate all we damn well please.

The point of this forum is to discuss.

You can claim I have no basis to make this argument all you want. But you also have no basis to make your own claim.

I didn’t call him a quitter. I just said he doesn’t deserve his starting spot back. He can still contribute to the team. But those who didn’t leave the team deserve the playing time.

Go ahead, tear my head off now
WhiteBarksdale
Egg
Egg

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops