Dylan Frye Leaves BGSU Basketball

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Re: Dylan Frye Leaves BGSU Basketball

Postby Globetrotter » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:12 am

factman wrote:...........and he has a LOT of years ahead of him, to regret what he did on basically spur of the moment.
Too bad.

We have no idea if this was the spur of the moment, and I think that's unlikely. I'm betting it was him weighing his personal wellness over what he deemed as short term positives.

What concerns me most is that he might just be giving up a career after graduation. Most players now go to Europe for short stints at the least. I would hope that he doesn't give that up entirely.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby factman » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:23 am

........and that may well be part of the regret!
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:34 am

We just have to wait to hear what comes of this. I really don't want to make any type of judgement at this point.

Short-term or long-term, the 100% most important thing in life is a person's well-being. Period.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BleedOrange » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:41 am

Diemilkweed wrote:@BGSU2016. A partner is much more than a piece of booty.

IF you open your mind enough to allow it.

That was easily the most sexist thing I have heard/read anybody seriously say in public in quite some time.

Your mother must be so proud of how you think and feel about women.

Spare us your hollow woke virtue signalling.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby Beaker » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:37 pm

BleedOrange wrote:

That was easily the most sexist thing I have heard/read anybody seriously say in public in quite some time.

Your mother must be so proud of how you think and feel about women.

Spare us your hollow woke virtue signalling.

+1. It was a joke. Get a sense of humor.
Beaker
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:39 pm

We have no idea the situation. I wouldn't be making jokes at this point.

Not a big deal, but come on, guys. Have some respect - we have no clue what's up right now.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:06 pm

I'm with Diemilkweed. That post from BGSU2016 was in extremely poor taste.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:16 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:

I'm with Diemilkweed. That post from BGSU2016 was in extremely poor taste.

+1

It was a little salty thinking of my daughter, a BGSU junior, in these terms. Go ahead and label me an over-sensitive father without a sense of humor; I'm OK with that.
2-time BGSU Intramural Curling Champion.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FalconTurf » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:47 pm

It's easy to say "big deal" about that girl you lost decades ago a quarter century later but at the time it really sucks. I really think we should tread carefully with our comments. In these last 25+ years since college I've seen a lot guys, and ladies, thrown for a huge loop when that relationship falls apart at that age and older.

The campus and city can get small for someone like Dylan who attracted a lot of attention with his success on the court. The pressure of classes, relationships, competition, and being in the spotlight may have been too overwhelming. I have no similar experience at 20-something to understand therefore I will not judge.

God bless the young man, there's more to life than our selfish Falcon dreams.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby apollo » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:22 pm

One person makes a joke (a very innocent one at that)....Not one person has said anything even close to criticism about the kid or the situation and people still get overly sensitive....many of you really need to toughen up a little.
apollo
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:38 pm

1. Agreed on "not funny / not in good taste" and agreed on the "I'm a dad and that shapes my world view".

2. I'm a but uncomfortable with all this speculation in such a public forum about a student. He is not a professional and should not be subject to the same scrutiny. We're talking about a college aged kid here playing basketball and attending class. As far as I know none of us personally know him or have been given the go ahead to air out his laundry.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Diemilkweed » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:23 pm

@Bleedorange.

Nope - not fake, not woke, not virtue signalling. What I am is tired of seeing people drop bigoted hate speech like it's OK. And "piece of booty" was not a joke at all. It was hate speech toward women by someone either too ignorant to know better, or who thought he'd get away without getting called out in a sports discussion group.

The simple fact that you used the term "virtue signalling" alone is repulsive. Literally the only people who do that are bigoted pigs. Trying desperately to validate their hateful views.

That line was actually worse than "piece of booty" because it implies that anyone standing up for anyone else is a fraud and weak.

In a discussion about a young man and his health and his future, ripping on anyone for anything is totally out of place. Standing up against that kind of bullshit is exactly what is required for everyone else to remain healthy.
Diemilkweed
Egg
Egg

Postby h2oville rocket » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:36 pm

Diemilkweed wrote:@Bleedorange.

Nope - not fake, not woke, not virtue signalling. What I am is tired of seeing people drop bigoted hate speech like it's OK. And "piece of booty" was not a joke at all. It was hate speech toward women by someone either too ignorant to know better, or who thought he'd get away without getting called out in a sports discussion group.

The simple fact that you used the term "virtue signalling" alone is repulsive. Literally the only people who do that are bigoted pigs. Trying desperately to validate their hateful views.

That line was actually worse than "piece of booty" because it implies that anyone standing up for anyone else is a fraud and weak.

In a discussion about a young man and his health and his future, ripping on anyone for anything is totally out of place. Standing up against that kind of bullshit is exactly what is required for everyone else to remain healthy.

Well stated. Frye was an interesting guy. A junior high body playing D1 hoops at a high level. Reminded me of Jay Burson a little. Hope he’s OK and goes on to a successful life.
h2oville rocket
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:14 pm

I'm concerned about whatever it is that made him make this decision like this. It's clearly generated a WTF-type reaction across the MAC. I've been asked more questions about Frye's decision alone in two days than I have about anything combined about this team this season. And if this has anything to do with a relationship gone bad, which I really hope it's not, then man, he's going to be in for a very rude awakening when bigger real-ilife issue present themselves down the road in life. So I'm not even going to entertain the rumor and assume it's something much bigger and more important than that. Further, I also feel bad for the rest of the team. Basketball is a TEAM sport, and losing someone like this affects more than just the one person. It would been one thing had Frye been injured and lost for the season or dismissed. But to flat out quit - with essentially only 4 weeks to go - after all they've been working towards (Frye and the team) to try and accomplish and the position they are now in......man.... There's really nothing good about this all the way around. I sincerely wish Frye well in dealing with whatever the heck it is. But this is going to come back and cost the team, and it's going to haunt Frye later down the road as well.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:00 pm

18 years ago I would have chuckled at a remark like the 'booty" joke. As the father of an 18 year old daughter who's dealing with some pretty serious baggage from an encounter with that mind set...well...Times have changed.

That said...I don't think the op had any truly malicious intent...maybe just a bit insensitive. I'm the LAST person who could call someone out for that
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops