@ CMU (2/4)

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Re: @ CMU (2/4)

Postby footballguy51 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:04 pm

Globetrotter wrote:Just some notes

Swingle hasn't played the last two games. I had been told they were super excited about getting him.

The guy who just passed Reimold for most threes in BG history....is shooting 31% from 3 good for 8th on the team.

Swingle played against Buffalo. He didn't play much, but he was in the game. He's been developing a lot this season, but he's a huge liability on defense because he refuses to move his feet and instead reaches. There was one game where he was finally starting to move his body while defending, but against Buffalo he was back to reaching for the ball and being out of position. He's always good for picking up a couple quick fouls in the first half.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:22 pm

footballguy51 wrote:

Swingle hasn't played the last two games. I had been told they were super excited about getting him.

The guy who just passed Reimold for most threes in BG history....is shooting 31% from 3 good for 8th on the team.

Swingle played against Buffalo. He didn't play much, but he was in the game. He's been developing a lot this season, but he's a huge liability on defense because he refuses to move his feet and instead reaches. There was one game where he was finally starting to move his body while defending, but against Buffalo he was back to reaching for the ball and being out of position. He's always good for picking up a couple quick fouls in the first half.

I think Swingle has long term potential, but he needs to lose a good amount of weight and increase his quickness.
CMU was just on fire all night. It's the MAC, and those nights happen sometimes. I'm not too worried about it if they don't allow it to carry over into the next game.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby footballguy51 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:37 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:
footballguy51 wrote:

I think Swingle has long term potential, but he needs to lose a good amount of weight and increase his quickness.
CMU was just on fire all night. It's the MAC, and those nights happen sometimes. I'm not too worried about it if they don't allow it to carry over into the next game.

Honestly, I don't think his size is an issue. He needs to learn how to use his size to his benefit and he needs to work on having quick feet. It reminds me of my days in high school football. The coach would always yell at some of the offensive linemen for trying to reach out and grab a guy that was getting around them instead of shuffling their feet to stay in front of them. I didn't seem to struggle with that part of being an offensive lineman (it was the other parts that killed me), and it has translated to defensive positioning in basketball quite well in my rec league that I play in. I know it's not a direct comparison between a men's rec league and Division 1, but defensive positioning is the same.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BleedOrange » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:40 pm

Swingle doesn't get off the floor, either. I don't know if it's weight, muscle fiber, or late reactions.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby drumstix2388 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:59 pm

BleedOrange wrote:Swingle doesn't get off the floor, either. I don't know if it's weight, muscle fiber, or late reactions.

That's what I notice. He reminds me of Loudon Love down at Wright State. Came in at 300 lbs and redshirted as a freshman, couldn't jump or move his feet, has continued losing weight and now plays at like 260 lbs of solid muscle as a junior and is dominating the Horizon League both offensively and defensively.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Previous

Return to Men's Hoops