vs. Northern Illinois (1/18)

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Re: vs. Northern Illinois (1/18)

Postby mbenecke » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:46 pm

Halftime, BG is up 36-27. Really solid half in every phase of the game. My favorite stat? 11/12 from the free throw line. Gotta maintain that through March.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falco_peregrinusana » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:00 pm

Nice half... Can some tell me why Frye did not attempt a shot with a second left??
Falco_peregrinusana
Egg
Egg

Postby Falco_peregrinusana » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:12 pm

Turner with big gooseegg so far
Falco_peregrinusana
Egg
Egg

Postby Falco_peregrinusana » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:40 pm

Justin ID struggling to move out there
Falco_peregrinusana
Egg
Egg

Postby mbenecke » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:57 pm

Falco_peregrinusana wrote:Nice half... Can some tell me why Frye did not attempt a shot with a second left??

Fan answer? I don’t know.

Basketball answer? Don’t wanna hurt that shooting percentage with a half court heave. Lol
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:58 pm

Falcons win, 66-64!

They gave us a battle in the 2nd half, but we stood tall to close and got our 4th straight win.

13-5, 4-1 MAC. Tied for first, with Akron’s loss earlier today.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Diemilkweed » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:58 pm

Turner could never turn the corner on anyone. And that corner three he airballed near the end? Not even close.

Things are not right in Turner Land just yet.

I might sit him the next game to let him rest/recover/whatever and see how he is next weekend.
Diemilkweed
Egg
Egg

Postby Falco_peregrinusana » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:56 pm

Diemilkweed wrote:Turner could never turn the corner on anyone. And that corner three he airballed near the end? Not even close.

I might sit him the next game to let him rest/recover/whatever and see how he is next weekend.

100% agree
Falco_peregrinusana
Egg
Egg

Postby Matty B » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:57 pm

Diemilkweed wrote:Turner could never turn the corner on anyone. And that corner three he airballed near the end? Not even close.

The offense wasn't there, but I did think he did a nice job on German whenever Fields got a breather. And Fields was awesome on him as well. Held him below his average, never let him get comfortable and he had to throw in 2 or 3 NBA threes just to get to 17 or whatever he finished with.

Thought Mattos gave a great effort as well. Hes leaps and bounds ahead of where he was when the season started and it's fun watching him develop.
LONG LIVE THE MONGOOSE!!
Matty B
Chick
Chick

Postby Globetrotter » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:10 am

Gadson tweeted that he was in the building after being away. I would have to think he redshirts this year if he is still with the team. I didn't notice him on the sidelines. He seems like the type of personality that coaches and players just want around even if he isn't making a huge impact on the court.

Edit...He might be in the second row behind the bench.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby factman » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:19 am

He was at the game on crutches instead of his “scooter”.
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:08 am

I’m pretty sure he was there in the 2nd row. Dude’s a great personality to have around, and I’m glad he was back in the building. Hoping he feels healthy soon.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TommyG » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:45 am

I don’t know if this team can get to the NCAA. The positive is they aren’t playing particularly well whether it be injury, softness, scheme, etc. They are still finding ways win these conference games.
I am still on the boat of the MAC is not particularly strong this year in terms of talent. Parity yes, talent no. If the team can get a little tougher, stay healthy, and Huger can find the best roles for guys in the second half of the MAC year, then the team will have a shot in the MAC Tournament.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby hammb » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:55 pm

I can't believe we managed to win that game. Turner looked like a shell of himself. Frye is sooo much better with laster at the PG, but Dylan really struggled as the point today.

Plowden was, as has been the case a lot this year, our best player. Would be nice to get him involved more consistently when the guards are struggling so much. Mattos and Swingle both did some nice things.

Caleb Fields guarded his ass off most of the game. The bulk of German's points came on a handful of deep threes or in transition. In the half court sets Fields and Turner really made him work.

Always good to find ways to win when you're not playing your best but at some point I'd like to see this team actually play to its potential...
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Beaker » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:50 pm

I was at the Convo in Athens when we played there on the 11th and after watching Turner that game, I thought he was back. He was the only thing keeping us in it the first half. After that performance, I'm surprised to see him struggle since. This team needs him to get going and stay going.
Beaker
Peregrine
Peregrine

Previous

Return to Men's Hoops